MEDIA-WATCH  2005

MEDIA-WATCH 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Islamic leaders will issue 'fatwa' on terrorists

Rose Frain <[log in to unmask]>

Rose Frain <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:31:13 +0100

text/plain

Dear all, for your interest.
Rose F

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/crime/article298109.ece
Islamic leaders will issue 'fatwa' on terrorists
By Severin Carrell
Published: 10 July 2005
Britain's top Muslim scholars are to issue a "fatwa" which will condemn
the terrorists behind Thursday's bombings, in an unprecedented move to
repudiate the Islamist militants suspected of the atrocities.

It is expected that the religious ruling, which will be drafted this
week, will effectively outlaw the bombers among Muslims by stating the
attacks were a breach of the most basic tenets of Islam.

Senior community leaders believe they must try to deflect another wave
of revenge attacks by undermining the religious basis of the
terrorists' alleged Islamist ideology and, significantly, by
questioning their right to describe themselves as Muslims.

The move follows a decision taken late on Friday night at an emergency
summit attended by about 100 of the country's most prominent Muslim
leaders, held in private at East London Mosque.

Sir Iqbal Sacranie, general secretary of the Muslim Council of Britain
(MCB), said: "Those behind this atrocity aren't just enemies of
humanity but enemies of Islam and Muslims. The people at the receiving
end of this, both as some of the victims of the bombing and victims of
the backlash, are Muslims."

The proposal was thrashed out amid growing fears that British Muslims
face violent reprisals for the bombings which have killed more than 50
people and wounded another 700 people.

Several religious centres, including a Sikh temple and a mosque in
Leeds, have already been attacked, and several Muslims have reportedly
been assaulted in southern England and north London.

Muslim leaders have also been sent hundreds of threatening emails,
thought to have been orchestrated by neo-Nazi groups. In the aftermath
of the 11 September attacks on New York and the Pentagon, hundreds of
British Muslims were assaulted, one fatally, with mosques firebombed
and desecrated.

The statements - the first of their kind issued by British Muslim
leaders - mark a turning point for the UK's Islamic scholars. Under
Islamic law, it is impossible to strip someone of their right to call
themselves Muslim. Unlike the right of Catholic popes to excommunicate,
in Islam that power is reserved to God.

Senior clerics and scholars are, however, able to repudiate a Muslim's
actions and to discredit the Islamic basis of their behaviour. This
approach has been highly controversial, however, after Islamic scholars
ruled the Ahmadi sect were not Muslims because they believe Mohamed was
not the final prophet and that their founder was the messiah.

The MCB's official spokesman said: "If these bombers are found to be
Muslims, we will make it clear we utterly dissociate ourselves from
them - even if they claim to be Muslims or are acting under the mantle
of the Islamic faith. We reject that utterly."

Within hours of the bombings on Thursday, senior Islamic scholars
abroad condemned the attacks in Egypt and Saudi Arabia condemned the
bombing as un-Islamic.

One of the first was Yusuf al-Qaradawi, the controversial Egyptian
cleric who met Ken Livingstone last year and who was accused earlier
this year of supporting suicide bombing and the killing of homosexuals.

Sheikh al-Qaradawi said that Islam "denounces in the strongest possible
terms the shedding of the sanctified blood of innocent and protected
people."

He said the bombings were "evil acts characterised by barbarity and
savagery, which are condemned by Islam in the strongest of terms, for
Islam is extremely clear about the prohibition of taking human life".

Signed by dozens of prominent Muslim bodies, mosques, Islamic scholars
and community groups, the MCB will also state that Muslims have a moral
duty to help the police catch the perpetrators.

Community leaders are also under intensifying political pressure to
take these steps.

Murad Qureshi, the only Muslim member of the Greater London Assembly
and a former Labour councillor in Westminster, said: "If there was a
fatwa issued, I would welcome it.

"It's about time we put clear distance between ourselves and so-called
Muslim leaders like Osama bin Laden, who has been able to dictate the
whole agenda with his video nasties."

Mr Qureshi, who was brought up close to Edgware Road, scene of the
third of Thursday's Tube bombings, said the Arab-dominated area was now
extremely tense.

"It is undoubtedly subdued," he said.

Lined by Lebanese, Moroccan and Arab restaurants, the road is also
close to Britain's "senior" mosque, at Regent's Park.

In common with mosques across the country, the mosque was unusually
quiet during Friday prayers, with little to be seen of the
politically-active radical groups that usually leaflet worshippers
there.

Many community leaders reacted last week by urging Muslims to stay
indoors, travel in groups and avoid areas around pubs at closing time -
advice which is now being rejected as too defensive.

Mr Qureshi and Sir Iqbal Sacranie said they plan to resist efforts to
demonise Muslims - a theme picked up last week by Trevor Phillips,
chairman of the Commission for Racial Equality.

Mr Phillips said: "There's not a dividing line between Muslims and
Londoners. The dividing line is between those who commit these acts and
those who don't."

Mr Qureshi said: "It's important we don't feel we have to apologise for
Thursday's attacks. We're not talking about Muslims here. We're talking
about a bunch of nutters. The time has come to debunk the idea they are
sanctioned by Islam."

-------