Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Followup: Site with only SE

Jos van Wezel <[log in to unmask]>

LHC Computer Grid - Rollout <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:07:32 +0200

text/plain

Indeed you cant. Apologies for the slander. :-)

What I want is to be able to offer a possibly wide range of applications
to use the grid. In order to enable 'legacy' software to use this new
infrastructure a 'file' SE protocol should be available at least until
file access methods have stabilized and standardized. LCG has focused on
the L part for obvious reasons but it could proliferate if the tools are
accepted.

Locality of data remains an important concept that even the fastest nets
cannot match. Look at the transports available in a cluster, FC,
infiniband, PCIXpress, and consider the fact that these connections are
available at a flat rate.

Your dream of remote user space mounting has materialized in many
projects already. Maybe too early for the LCG, but surely not for the
spin-off I would like to see happen.

Now to answer your questions:

- yes bring it back (I was not even aware it was gone)
- yes allow a close SE to CE option. Not binary but more in terms of
distance costs. A close CE has a lower IO cost. I assume something
similar is provisioned for other SE supported protocols.