[CSL]: [CTHEORY] 1000 Days of Theory: Algebra of Identity

J Armitage <[log in to unmask]>

Interdisciplinary academic study of Cyber Society <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Oct 2005 07:28:32 +0100

text/plain

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 12/10/2005 19:57
Subject: [CTHEORY] 1000 Days of Theory: Algebra of Identity

 CTHEORY          THEORY, TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE        VOL 28, NO 3
        *** Visit CTHEORY Online: http://www.ctheory.net ***

 1000 Days 017    12/10/2005    Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker

                         *************************

                            1000 DAYS OF THEORY

                         *************************

 Algebra of Identity:
 Skin of Wind, Skin of Streams, Skin of Shadows, Skin of Vapor

 ~D. Fox Harrell~

 1. Introduction & Braiding
 --------------------------

 Here, I braid three cords together, identity, algebra, and poetry.
 Identity is the subject matter, algebra is a tool for representing
 sign systems of fluid identity, poetry is used as the enactment of
 the view of identity described with the algebra. I also use algebra
 to aid in the development of computational techniques for
 implementing a system that generates prose poetry in response to a
 user's prompts -- a call and response form which is thematically
 fixed but variable in particular expression and metaphor.

 The subtitle of this paper: "Skin of Wind, Skin of Streams, Skin of
 Shadows, Skin of Vapor" is meant to evoke a restricted notion of
 identity, and the insubstantiality of that notion. A focus on skin is
 obsessive and solipsistic. I am expected to write about it in a paper
 on identity. When ethnic identity is made binary and colorized, we
 talk in bodily terms, of skin. It is evocative -- it is a membrane,
 protecting, projecting, coating, an exterior, a superficial, obvious
 and immense organ. I shan't disappoint these expectations of skin
 obsession, but when I write of the traits of ethnic identification
 these are just symbols for a classification based conception of
 social identity.

 Wind whips, shrieks, or is unnoticeable. Streams bears small
 creatures below rocks, rush with energy and transparency. Shadow
 obscures, cools, relaxes. Vapor moistens, hides, causes ships to
 crash, is fluid but hangs in the ether. If we can imagine these four
 skins, we can also imagine skin of tangled roots, illicit love,
 unscratched itches, crossed senses, angels, or demons. I shall get
 back to this later.

 What I wish to conjure is a sense of the fleeting nature and
 contingency of classification based identity as it is typically
 conceived of. I propose why some current notions of identity seem
 damaging, and discuss alternative ways to address it. My belief is in
 internalizing and exposing this very contingency, accepting this as
 the reality in how we perceive ourselves, others, and the concept of
 identity as a whole.

 In the beginning I would like to motivate the discussion of identity.

 2. Identity
 -----------

      Jacques Derrida's version of deconstruction is one of the most
      influential schools of thought among young academic critics. It
      is salutary in that it focuses on the political power of
      rhetorical oppositions -- of tropes and metaphors in binary
      oppositions like white/black, good/bad, male/female,
      machine/nature, ruler/ruled, reality/appearance -- showing how
      these operations sustain hierarchical world views by devaluing
      the second terms as something subsumed under the first.

           -- Cornel West, "The New Cultural Politics of
           Difference," _Out There: Marginalization and
           Contemporary Cultures_, 1990.[1]

      ...black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and
      Catholics -- will be able to join hands and sing in the words of
      that old Negro spiritual: 'Free at last! Free at last!

           -- Martin Luther King Jr., "I Have a Dream," August
           28, 1963.[2]

 It is crucial to be cognizant of the network of forces determining
 your identity. Though it is not possible to regulate one's identity,
 it is necessary to be one of the forces contributing to its
 expression. Since even "objective facts" can be viewed from
 innumerable perspectives we can utilize so-called "objective"
 historical knowledge and its impact upon identity formation in ways
 that supports self-empowered living, this a functional view of
 identity. Functionalism means fluidity in a world where dualist
 classification systems inhabit even oppositional strategies to
 prejudice such as Aime Cesaire's seductive song of negritude[3], or
 Judy Chicago's well-appointed "Dinner Party."[4] A functional view is
 inherently going to be assailed as constructionist fiction, and yet a
 view that intends to transcend the quagmire of dualist identity using
 a strategy of essential "sameness" is going to be assailed equally:

 An example:

 Alison Saar, Sam Gilliam and Martin Puryear are three artist found in
 the same categorized section of _ARTODAY_[5], a book on contemporary
 art. Regarding Alison Saar, the author writes:

      ...Alison Saar has also looked at African fetish statues as a
      source of inspiration. ... The problem with all these attempts
      to make a new Africa in America is that the spectator is aware
      of the artist's self-consciousness, of an attempt to create a
      kind of 'primitivism' which doesn't come into existence
      spontaneously.

 Of Sam Gilliam, the author writes:

      Gilliam is, and has always been, an abstract painter, whose work
      eschews overt symbolism. ... Gilliam has caused considerable
      irritation amongst African-American militants, and has sometimes
      been accused of 'Uncle Tom-ism' because of his insistence on
      being judged purely as an artist, not as a generic
      representative of minority culture.

 Of Martin Puryear the author writes:

      Martin Puryear, now perhaps the most celebrated African
      sculptor, is similarly insistent, despite the fact that he is
      one of the few African-American artists who has direct
      experience of Africa ... Attempts to align his work with African
      artifacts have been made by enthusiastic critics, but seem
      fruitless in the face of Puryear's own statement that, when in
      Africa, he felt like an outsider -- not part of the customs of
      the people among whom he lived.

 This collection of statements, representative of a tendency in art
 critical writing, promotes the stance that the racial identity
 assigned to the three artists takes precedence over the content and
 formal issues of the work by placing these artists all in the "Racial
 Minorities" section in the book (which happened to be the second to
 last section, the last being "Feminist and Gay"). The organization of
 the book indicates the author's hierarchical view of the relative
 importance of different groups of artists. New York artists deserve
 their own section (which does not include artists from New York that
 happen to be of racial minority groups), and British artists are
 important enough to be segmented by content, hence a section on
 British Figurative Painting, as opposed to ethnic identity.
 Curiously, contradictorily, the author simultaneously racially
 classifies these artists, emphasizes racial debates surrounding the
 artists, and denies the artists self-determination in assertions of
 heritage. The African American artist cannot be seen non-racially,
 but can only be seen as an African American artist who wishes to be
 seen non-racially. At the same time, the African American artist
 cannot be seen in connection with any ancient historical tradition or
 culture, as such attempts are "self-conscious or tenuous."

 With such forces seeking to constrain social and individual
 conceptions of people, it is imperative to seek techniques and
 perspectives capable of disarming such constraints. The dominant
 categories such as "white" are unmarked, invisible, in their
 dominance in the _ARTODAY_ example above. But reliance upon the
 binary relationships imposed by marked versus unmarked categories are
 not used only from the top of the hierarchy down. Many times even
 socially aware and proactive groups define themselves and their
 relationships to others in binary terms. Black, white. Majority,
 minority. Patriarchy, oppressed. White-privileged,
 affirmative-actioned. A world of binaries is concrete and actionable.
 Humans have a need to classify, yet when it comes to identity
 politics binary and discrete classification reinforce systems of
 social oppression. Sociologists Geoffrey Bowker and Susan Leigh Star
 emphasize this point in their 1999 book _Sorting Things Out:
 Classification and its Consequences_[6]:

      Each standard and each category valorizes some point of view and
      silences another. This is not inherently a bad thing -- indeed
      it is inescapable. But it is an ethical choice, and as such it
      is dangerous -- not bad, but dangerous. For example, the
      decision of the US Immigration and Naturalization Service to
      classify some races and classes as desirable for US residents,
      and others as not, resulted in a quota system which valued
      affluent people from Northern and Western Europe over those
      (especially the poor) from Africa or South America. The decision
      to classify students by their standardized achievement and
      aptitude tests valorizes some kinds of knowledge skills and
      renders other kinds invisible. ... For any individual, group or
      situation, classifications and standards give advantage or they
      give suffering.

 Aside from the problems introduced via the marked/unmarked dichotomy,
 we are also always left with phenomena that fail to be classified
 when subjected to discrete measures. In the racialized world of black
 vs. white, the catch-all category of "other" is typically understood
 in terms of whether the current person under consideration is more
 black-like or white-like, or as an Indian-American colleague
 encountered while traveling through rural Colorado "you ain't black,
 you ain't white, so what is you?"

 Dualities carry power and have long informed diverse agendas ranging
 from the software/hardware split in the von Neumann architecture in
 computer science[7] to anti-racist ideology in groups like the Black
 Panther Party (Bobby Seale, co-founder of the Black Panther Party
 described the strategic use of essential classifications, black
 nationalism as a necessary political response to oppressive social
 conditions, as a stepping stone on the path toward a society
 embracing broader humanist values[8]). While illuminating "possible
 origins of cybernetic theory in African culture, ways that Black
 people have negotiated the rise of cybernetic technology in the West,
 and the confluence of these histories in the lived experience of the
 African diaspora," Professor Ron Eglash notes that:

      Opposition to racism has often been composed through two
      totalizing, essentialist strategies: sameness and difference.
      For example, Mudimbe (1988) demonstrates how the category of a
      singular "African philosophy" has been primarily an invention of
      difference, having its creation in the play between "the
      beautiful myths of the 'savage mind' and the African ideological
      strategies of otherness." In contrast, structuralists such as
      Levi-Strauss have attempted to prove that African conceptual
      systems are fundamentally the same as those of Europeans (both
      having their basis in arbitrary symbol systems)." [9]

 Aligning under binary banners makes the power struggle very clear,
 though it is disenfranchising for those who seek a sensitive
 expression of personal identity. A mathematical analog to binary
 thought, Boolean logic, is quite powerful, in its limited domain
 [10]. It is sound. Anything that you can prove in a reality described
 by Boolean logic is entailed by that reality. This means that in any
 possible world it is true if you can prove it ('possible worlds' here
 means being able to look at all of the possibilities for what is true
 and what is false). Furthermore, it has the converse property that
 anything you can say in Boolean logic that is true in all worlds, can
 be proved. It is complete.

 Of course, this line of thought is metaphorical, but it has
 interesting implications when we indulge this thought experiment.
 This type of binary thinking leads toward finality of thought,
 imperial statements, and reification of ideas. There is no way to
 express a concept such as she is "woman and not a woman" so that it
 is true, though socially it is perhaps possible to think of
 situations where such a statement might pertain. An interesting note
 is that as soon as logic is expanded to include generalizations, with
 statements such "for all women who are sports fans," the logic is no
 longer complete. The comfort provided by its restrictions is taken
 away.

 There is a non-metaphorical component to inquiry involving
 mathematics and identity too. Aside from exploring African influences
 upon computer science, Ron Eglash also notes traditions of novel
 technical cultural practices within the African diaspora. An example
 of such a practice, the GRIOT computational system[11] (discussed
 below in section 5), which I programmed at the Meaning and
 Computation Lab at the University of California, San Diego, has been
 used to output prose poetry about a girl with skin of angels and
 demons in response to user input about domains such as Europe,
 Africa, girls, whiteness, devils, and seraphs. The system's output
 represents a subjective and transitory notion of identity. The system
 is equally based in mathematics (algebraic semantics and
 specification) as it is in semiotic theory and cognitive linguistics
 approaches to identity.

 Thus, I invoke mathematics here as a device to, metaphorically and
 literally, allow us to move away from the standard binary way to view
 identity. I seek new blends involving identity, new ways to combine
 thoughts, without deviating from the subject matter. Discussion of
 algebra provides a means to do so.

 3. Algebra
 -----------

      Algebra may be considered, in its most general form, as the
      science which treats of the combinations of arbitrary signs and
      symbols by means defined through arbitrary laws.

           -- George Peacock, _A Treatise on Algebra_, 1830. [12]

      'Watch out, men! You are not so pretty that you can handle a
      woman's blade!' But as Raven turned the blade by the lantern
      (Bayle squinted because two threads of light lanced from the
      gnarly hilt), she was still grinning. 'Ah, you men would take
      everything away from a woman -- I've been in your strange and
      terrible land long enough to know that. But you won't have this.
      See it, and know that it will never be yours!' She laughed. (It
      wasn't one blade on the hilt, Bayle realized, but two, running
      parallel, perhaps an inch apart: as she brandished it, the
      lantern flashed between either side.)

           -- Samuel R. Delany, "The Tale of Potters and
           Dragons," _Tales of Neveryon_, 1978. [13]

 In the Delany quote, the sword, a violent and masculine symbol, has
 been transformed into a vulval feminine symbol in a matriarchal
 mythology, no less violent. It is a combination of signs and symbols
 defined through (seemingly) arbitrary laws of culture. Algebra deals
 with the rules for how things can generally be combined. Since I
 often work using this framework, these days I am sensitive to
 blending in many domains[14]. The blending of concepts is contingent
 and fleeting[15]. The national obsession of the U.S.A., identity, is
 no exception. One obvious breakdown in traditional notions of
 identity is creation of new ethnic identities by merging. Identity
 also occurs in peculiar ways in different contexts, for example in a
 market economy it is treated often as a commodity as we encounter
 phenomena such as identity theft. It is important and crucial to
 recognize and challenge inequitable power structures. One way to do
 so is through understanding identity as a dynamic network as opposed
 to a system of binary relations. The challenge is to do so within a
 social context based upon the binary relation of standard versus
 other.

 In computer science, definitions from algebraic semantics are used
 describe how information behaves purely based on syntactic
 properties[16]. An algebra consists of a set of values and operations
 defined on those values. For example, you could have a set of
 "people," and a set of relations describing who "rules over" whom.
 There is a great deal of flexibility and nuance that can be captured
 in even a simple algebra that is difficult to represent in terms of
 simple inclusion or exclusion of people in particular levels of a
 social hierarchy. We can also define semantic equations which
 describe equivalences between syntactic elements. This means that we
 are able to describe how elements are equivalent even if they are
 named differently, we can translate between different syntactic forms
 of the same thing. The real advantage of using algebra as a metaphor
 for fluid notions of identity comes from the fact that the names used
 to describe elements are arbitrary, the system of rules is what makes
 the difference, not particular classifications. Formal notation such
 as algebraic semantics is no more than a useful tool for precisely
 describing a set of concepts. Reality does not conform to the
 language of mathematics. Still, within its limited range of
 application, formalizing ideas can be used more casually and
 intuitively to add to analyses grounded in lived experience and
 social context.

 Far from using algebra as merely an evocative metaphor, in the
 research of the Meaning and Computation Laboratory at UCSD we use
 Joseph Goguen's algebraic semiotics, an approach to meaning and
 representation that combines algebraic specification with social
 semiotics, to represent sign systems[17]. We also use it to implement
 construction of metaphors using ideas from conceptual blending theory
 in cognitive science. We construct blends of concepts. Ideas such as
 identity now can be blended with ideas such as commodities (in
 identity theft), screen based icons (as avatars), and where identity
 is blendable itself (concepts such as Hispanicity, whiteness, or gay,
 lesbian, transgendered unity). Identity of one individual can be
 blended with identity of another. For example the infamous American
 football star O.J. Simpson was often referenced in news reporting on
 the American basketball player Kobe Bryant's trial for rape because
 both are African American sports figures. Note that this analogue
 between sports figures is the result of a blend: Ishmael Reed notes
 in a recent article from his ~Konch Magazine~[18] that the music
 mogul Phil Spector was accused of murdering a white woman, the same
 Phil Spector who reputedly rescued Tina Turner from the abusive Ike
 Turner, but Spector has not been often compared to Ike Turner.

 A feature of blending is compression, humans want to reduce concepts
 to human scale in order to comprehend them better. Compression[19]
 often occurs in blending where the blended space is used to visualize
 something of a large scale in terms of a smaller one. In service of
 this goal, pressure is exerted on the blending process in order to:
 compress what is diffuse, obtain global insight, come up with a
 story, and go from 'Many to One'[20]. In these terms, even a cursory
 and ad-hoc analysis can prove illuminating regarding racism: in the
 Kobe Bryant/ O.J. Simpson example, two individuals are taken to be
 analogous because they represent the larger group, black male sports
 figures (reduction of many to one). They are identified only because
 they are used as representations of a larger concept -- the violent
 black male. The "white" Phil Spector (also accused of murder) could
 not show up in the compressed blend in this case, because he is not a
 representation of that group. Tokenism can be seen in these terms --
 one individual is used to represent the many.

 It is important to remember that blends are often created on the fly;
 they can constantly change; they are active. They execute and allow
 for thought experimentation. They exist in larger networks and are
 extremely dynamic and contingent. This contingency seems especially
 relevant for discussing identity concepts. When we encounter others,
 our conceptions of their identities are composed as blends. When
 someone says "well I am really not that into sports," or "my mother
 is Asian," or "I have converted to Judaism," our conception of that
 person is transformed on the fly. The network of concepts that make
 up the perceived identity of that person is changed. Currently I am
 working on an algorithm to explore the construction of blends on the
 fly for generating media. It is possible to imagine how such work
 could be used to inform precise discussion about identity concepts.

 4. Poetry
 ---------

      If anything my desire here has been to demystify the curious
      notion that theory is the province of the Western tradition,
      something alien or removed from the so-called noncanonical
      tradition such as that of the Afro-American.

           -- Henry Louis Gates Jr., _The Signifying Monkey: A
           Theory of African-American Literary Criticism_,
           1988.[21]

      Since the products of blending are ubiquitous, sometimes
      spectacularly visible, it is natural that students of rhetoric,
      literature, painting, and scientific invention should have
      noticed many specific examples of what we call blending and
      noticed, too, that something was going on. The earliest such
      observation that we have found comes from Aristotle.

           -- Gilles Fauconnier and Mark Turner, _The Way We
           Think: Conceptual Blending and the Mind's Hidden
           Complexities_, 2002.[22]

 Blending and metaphor are conceptual tools that can be used to
 address this fluctuating view of identity. New views of an identity
 can be introduced using metaphor and taken through transforming
 phases with evocative effect. For me, the use of exaggerated
 metaphors in poetry and literature can illustrate this idea. In my
 own work this is a central device that I use. In my novel, a fantasy
 entitled _Milk Pudding Flavored with Rose Water, Blood Pudding
 Flavored by the Sea_[23], characters constantly change identity and
 metaphorically transform. The fantasy in the tale arises from
 elaborating these metaphors more than any other type of magical or
 paranormal effects. For example, in the first half I describe the
 tale of a type of black knight youth traveling from city to city.
 Metaphor is used to describe the view of him through the lens of that
 particular town.

 In one example, Jal-R takes on a new role in the chapter "Men and
 Mothers," his description is established and transformed as the
 passage progresses. After this passage he transforms further:

      The voices were indecipherable. The number of people from
      far-away and near-away lands was greater than in years past. The
      effect was disorienting as he walked through the market. Many of
      the strangers shrank from him. His was a stark figure; black
      silhouette with a flowing shadow cloak slipping behind him.
      Despite recent sneers from his compatriot Black Riders, most
      townsmen and women treated him with grand respect. The
      strangers' fear came from the clear bearing of power and battle
      with which he carried himself. He was a warrior, there was no
      doubt. All talk of the diminishing public regard for the riders
      was moot in the wake of his heavy black boots. He was an
      undeniable force, a Black Rider. He was the essence of a rider,
      he walked and a thunderhead-ominous threat surrounded him. Today
      his merchant friends knew better than to approach him or joke at
      his expense. He walked as if on a mission. The hilts of two
      daggers swung at his sides. Knives formed delicate decorations
      on the calves of his boots. There was no color on him besides a
      touch of pink in the embroidered rose at his chest and
      reflections in the hints of silver at his feet, waist, and cowl.
      He opened the door to a nondescript long hall and stepped inside
      to crying and a sanitary aroma.

 A bit later:

      Jal-R rocked the infant against his black padded breastplate. It
      had been a trial to coax the baby girl to sleep. He often felt
      ill at ease here and his queasy heart surely passed its
      vibrations to the children. The other professional mothers felt
      threatened by the alien image of brutality nursing their
      charges, muscling himself into their world. All in the longhouse
      felt as if their hearts beat through black gauze when Jal-R was
      there...a dark sense of roles askew. Jal-R was unaware of many
      of these perceptions of him, but the cloud that gathered each
      time he walked in there was impossible not to notice. It
      mattered little, he told himself, he had resolved to learn at
      least some of the arts of the mother to provide for Ayoli.

 My engagement with the idea of unstable, metaphorical, and
 transforming identity did not begin with the Jal-R Black Rider
 character. Reconnecting this poetry to the subtitle of this talk, I
 also wrote of an expansive view of skin. My concern with my society's
 obsession with skin peaked when I was around nineteen years old. I
 created more than thirty types of skin and imagined life in each of
 these[24].

 These were skin such as: the skin of the man whose skin turned to
 paper, the man whose skin was made of everything funny, the
 balloon-skinned girl, the man whose skin was made of sexual
 experimentation, the girl with noisy skin, the man whose skin was
 pink but people called him white but didn't mean the color of pure
 driven snow, the man whose skin was brown but people called him black
 but didn't mean evil.

 One such poem follows:

      Skin normally has thin blue veins in it
      But the man whose skin turned to paper
      Knew that the thin blue lines on his skin
      Were made from ink and not the flow of blood.
      The lines were parallel to each other,
      Yet because his skin curved
      It was hard to tell whether the lines
      Were standard or college rule,
      And due to the fact that the man whose skin turned to paper
      Had skin that was not a chalky white,
      The thin red vertical line that ran perpendicular to the blue
      lines
      Was difficult to see.
      One hole through his head
      One through his duodenum
      One through his tibia
      So that although the size of a normal man
      He fit in a three-ringed folder.
      One pencil in each hand
      So that, enabled by ambidexterity,
      He could twice as quickly write and record
      His thoughts and ideas
      Images called doodles or tattoos.
      Writings, poetry, and self-indulgence
      Make a set of verse, a body of work
      That begins: skin normally has thin blue veins in it.

 For me, exaggerated, densely metaphorical, and shifting views of
 identity traits have a liberating effect. It expands a sense of
 possibility for self-identification. It also stimulates a skeptical
 view of social identity politics in that it engages the inherent
 limitations of hierarchical classification based identity, but also
 declares its divergence from functional reality.

 5. Call & Response, Improvisation & Conclusion

 But so often identity is forcefully, painfully imposed upon us
 despite our agitation against its confines. A dynamic identity must
 take into account immediate social context. In the African diaspora
 there are many artistic traditions that negotiate the disjunction
 between self-identity and social identity, between historical,
 traditional identity, and identities of resistance. Dynamic
 improvisation and call-and-response structures are familiar aspects
 of pan-African narrative forms as diverse as the delta blues, Charles
 Mingus's calling-out of the segregationist Governor of Arkansas in
 "Fables of Faubus[25]," the penetratingly satirical fiction of
 Ishmael Reed, hip-hop freestyle rhyming, and the African Brazilian
 martial art and dance Capoeira Angola. The capoerista provides a good
 example of shifting identity, he or she was originally a participant
 in a multiform art that functioned as a ritual, game, martial art,
 sacred space, and more, but that identity transformed as capoeira was
 outlawed beginning in nineteenth century Brazil. Capoeiristas were
 cast by the government as dangerous miscreants, potential
 revolutionaries, or thieves and punished with imprisonment, lashings,
 naval service, and even death. The identity of the capoeirista was
 forced toward multi-veilance and malicia (deceptive trickiness).
 Concurrently the capoeirista enjoyed respect and admiration of the
 African identified populace, and the simultaneous demonization as
 "primitives" and valorization as effective soldiers by the public
 authorities and the Portuguese descended tourists, aristocrats, and
 upper-class they intended to "protect." Recall for illustrative
 example the War of the Triple Alliance (1865-1870), the bloodiest
 conflict in Latin American history, during which Brazil's front line
 consisted of mostly conscripted capoeiristas, enslaved Africans sent
 across the Parana river to Paraguay to fight with the promise of
 freedom [26]. Some of the most melancholy capoeira songs recall this
 river as a soloist calls out and hears responses in the words "E
 Parana":

      E Parana
      Eu nao vou na sua casa, Parana
      E Parana
      Pra voce nao ir na minha, Parana
      E Parana
      Porque voce tem boca grande, Parana
      E Parana
      Vai comer minha galinha, Parana
      E Parana
      Puxa, puxa, leva, leva, Parana
      E Parana
      Parana esta me chamando, Parana
      E Parana
      Me chamando pra jogar, Parana
      E Parana
      Minha mae esta me chamando, Parana
      E Parana
      Ve que vida de moleque, Parana
      E Parana

 The song translates in English roughly as:

      Eh, Parana
      I do not go in your house, Parana
      Eh, Parana
      For you go not in mine, Parana
      Eh, Parana
      Because you have a great mouth, Parana
      Eh, Parana
      You will eat my chicken, Parana
      Eh, Parana
      Pull, pull, take, take, Parana
      Eh, Parana
      Parana is calling me, Parana
      Eh, Parana
      Calling me to play, Parana
      Eh, Parana
      My mother is calling me, Parana
      Eh, Parana
      I see that hustler life, Parana
      Eh, Parana

 The repeated invocation of an historic place in the "New World" is a
 common theme in African diasporic call-and-response lyrics. When
 these songs are sung, new lyrics are often spontaneously improvised.
 The creation of traditionally structured songs with new meanings,
 especially layered meanings as in capoeira songs (the songs often
 have double and triple functions within the art form) also serves to
 create new identities for postcolonial contexts.

 Written prose poetry[27] and its more recent descendant flash
 fiction[28] ("short short" stories that encapsulate full narrative
 arcs within extremely abbreviated word counts), traditionally have
 not incorporated these techniques. On-the-fly improvisation has not
 been incorporated for the simple reason that the nature of medium of
 printed text is not dynamically reconfigurable. Computational media
 have dynamic information structure and feedback loops built into the
 nature of the medium. The output of my recent research combines this
 type of prose poetry, dynamically reconfigurable and founded in
 African and African American vernacular traditions of
 signification[29], with the use of algebraic techniques to construct
 imaginative metaphors on the fly. I have written a computer program
 (in the LISP programming language), called GRIOT, that uses algebraic
 semiotics as a foundation to generate poems line by line in response
 to user feedback, poems that can be reconstructed on each reading
 algorithmically, while maintaining core concepts and themes. I think
 of this work as development of improvisational texts (active media).
 The metaphors are fluid. From my vantage point, the cultural objects
 of most interest are the GRIOT and ALLOY systems themselves and the
 variability of the output in response to user input, not the
 individual instances of output as cultural objects on their own.

 The GRIOT system actualizes the winding together of the separate
 cords of algebra, identity, and poetry in a cultural artifact. The
 following text completes the braided cord with a series of
 call-and-response poetic output in the same mould as those I created
 many years ago. I conclude with a sample of output from the poetic
 system entitled "The Girl with Skin of Haints and Seraphs" (the
 user's input follows the ">" prompt, the italicized system's response
 follows; the appendix below contains several more examples in detail
 and a brief description of how the system works):

      >Europe
      europeans and beauty relish, create entitlement and cool ringing
      in the ears of the girl with skin of smugness and kindness
      blended with neck, red

      >Europe
      she worked raising imperialist, cherub children of her own

      >Europe
      death was better

      >Europe
      her spirit trusts that a nordic-beauty or epidermis arouses,
      provokes awe desire

      >Europe
      a spectral tone pervaded

      >Europe
      sunbather and first-born envies and is now melaninated and
      impoverished-elder, causing her eyelids to droop

      >Europe
      she knows that childish reverence of contradiction days will
      fall further and further behind

 Appendix
 --------

 The following is a brief description of the functionality of the
 GRIOT system. Initially a poetic system designer inputs a set of
 poetic narrative templates (clauses with wildcards that will be
 replaced on each execution), a narrative structure that defines how
 clauses can be composed, a set of theme domains that provide
 information about a set of concepts, and list of keywords that access
 each theme domain. The "Girl with Skin of Haints and Seraphs" system
 works by establishing a set of theme domains such as skin, angels,
 demons, old Europe, and old Africa, composed of sets of axioms.
 During the execution of GRIOT, each time the user enters a term it is
 scanned for relevance to the domains and a response is produced as
 output to the screen. The system constructs conceptual spaces, using
 the algebraic semiotic framework, and blends these to construct
 metaphors using a conceptual blending algorithm. These are then
 combined with narrative templates, in the case of "The Girl with Skin
 of Haints and Seraphs," these are based on a model from
 socio-linguistics research, a formalization of William Labov's
 structure of narratives of personal experience[30]. This narrative
 template is integrated with metaphors generated on-the-fly. The core
 of the work is an algorithm called ALLOY that I wrote to model
 conceptual blending, not natural language processing. What comes out
 of it are conceptual spaces and axioms, not English sentences. For
 the purposes here, I use the GRIOT system as a front-end to construct
 a type of poetry, but in particular the guided combination of
 concepts is the focus of the work. My longer term project involves
 the generation of new metaphors driven by user interaction with a
 graphical or game-like interfaces, resulting in blends of graphical,
 audio, and textual media.

 Three samples of poetic output follow:

 (1) The first sample poem and a detailed description of its
 generation follows. User input is differentiated by being preceded by
 a '>' prompt. The system output is italicized. My commentary on how
 some of the content of each line of text is generated follows the
 system output. LISP code for an axiom describing subjective
 information about the domain follows my commentary.

      her arrival onto this earth was marked when first-born and
      charcoal-girl
      transforms to impoverished-elder or charcoal-woman
      she worked raising snow-queen original-lady children of her own
      the young lady would prevail
      a caress across her skin scares up demon black
      her failure was ignoring her wings and original-lady nature
      and she felt glad
      as she grew older she saw entitlement defiance wrinkles upon her
      face
      ebony-wood-like brimstone defines fetish bedrock,
      the sign that let her know she finally really alive

 >Africa
 (her arrival onto this earth was marked when first-born and
 charcoal-girl transforms to impoverished-elder or charcoal-woman)

 The concepts of first born people, the impoverished elder, and
 charcoal skin are selected from the 'Africa' domain in this opening
 clause. The LISP axiom selected for blending is:

 (axiom "is-now"
     ((constant "first-born" "person" afrika-space)
         (constant "impoverished-elder" "person" afrika-space)))

 >Europe
 (she worked raising snow-queen original-lady children of her own)

 The concept of the snow queen is selected from the 'Europe' domain in
 this narrative clause. The LISP axiom selected for blending is:

 (axiom "wears"
     ((constant "snow-queen" "person" europe-space)
         (constant "wintery-skin" "object" europe-space)))

 >demon
 (the young lady would prevail)

 The 'Demon' domain is selected, but not used in this evaluative
 clause.

 >demon
 (a caress across her skin scares up demon black)

 The concept of a demon is selected from the 'Demon' domain in this
 narrative clause. The LISP axiom selected for blending is:

 (axiom "stokes"
     ((constant "demon" "person" demons-space)
         (constant "hate" "emotion" demons-space)))

 >angel
 (her failure was ignoring her wings and original-lady nature)

 The concept of wings is selected from the 'Angel' domain in this
 evaluative clause. The LISP axiom selected for blending is:

 (axiom "covered-with"
     ((constant "wings" "person" angels-space)
         (constant "feathers" "object" angels-space)))

 >black
 (and she felt glad)

 The 'Africa' domain is selected, but not used in this evaluative
 clause.

 >white
 (as she grew older she saw entitlement defiance wrinkles upon her
 face)

 The concept of entitlement is selected from the 'Europe' domain for
 use in this narrative clause. The LISP axiom selected for blending
 is:

 (axiom "experiences"
     ((constant "european" "person" europe-space)
         (constant "entitlement" "sensation" europe-space))

 >juju
 (ebony-wood-like brimstone defines fetish bedrock, the sign that let
 her know she finally really alive)

 The concept of an ebony wood fetish is selected from the 'Africa'
 domain in this closing clause. The LISP axiom selected for blending
 is:

 (axiom "constructs"
     ((constant "ebony-wood" "object" afrika-space)
         (constant "fetish" "object" afrika-space)

 (2) The following is output produced when user input selects the use
 of the 'Europe' domain for constructing conceptual spaces for
 blending.

      >Europe
      her tale began when she was infected with white female-itis

      >Rome
      she worked raising bullet, spiked-tail children of her own

      >Norway
      in the shadows

      >Greece
      when she was no longer a child peasant, august-being marks
      streaked her thighs

      >Europe
      her barabarian, impoverished-elder spirit would live on

 (3) I conclude with a poem with generated content derived from
 blending concepts from the 'Skin' domain with concepts selected by
 the system.

      >skin
      she began her days looking in the mirror at her own pale-skinned
      death-figure face

      >skin
      she peeped out shame, hate

      >skin
      finally she fell from a cloud and skin and black drenched days
      were left behind

 Notes:
 ------

 [1] Cornel West, "The New Cultural Politics of Difference," _Out
 There: Marginalization and Contemporary Cultures_, edited by Russel
 Ferguson, Martha Gever, Trinh T. Minh-ha, and Cornel West. Cambridge:
 The MIT Press, 1990.

 [2] Martin Luther King Jr., "I Have a Dream," speech delivered
 Washington D.C., August 28, 1963. Source: Ed Clayton and David
 Hodges, _Martin Luther King Jr.: The Peaceful Warrior_, New York:
 Pocket Books, 1968.

 [3] Aime Cesaire, _Lost Body_. New York: Braziller, 1986.

 [4] Judy Chicago, "The Dinner Party," mixed media, 1979.

 [5] Edward Lucie-Smith, _ARTODAY_, London: Phaidon Press
 Limited,1995.

 [6] Geoffrey C. Bowker and Susan Leigh Star, _Sorting Things Out:
 Classification and Its Consequences_. Cambridge: The MIT Press, 1999.

 [7] John L. Hennessy and David A. Patterson, _Computer Architecture:
 A Quantitative Approach_, 3rd edition, San Francisco: Morgan
 Kaufmann, 2002.

 [8] Bobby Seale, The Black Panther Party, Cambridge: Alternative
 Radio, originally broadcast February, 2, 1995.

 [9] Ron Eglash, "African Influences in Cybernetics," _The Cyborg
 Handbook_, edited by Chris Hables Gray. London: Routledge, 1995.

 [10] Herbert B. Enderton, _A Mathematical Introduction to Logic_.
 Boston: Academic Press, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich,1972.

 [11] Joseph Goguen and Fox Harrell, "Style as Choice of Blending
 Principles," _Style and Meaning in Language, Art, Music and Design_,
 Proceedings, Symposium at 2004 AAAI Fall Symposium Series, Technical
 Report FS-04-07, edited by Shlomo Argamon, Shlomo Dubnov and Julie
 Jupp. Arlington: AAAI Press, 2004.

 [12] George Peacock, _A Treatise on Algebra_, 1830., from K. Meinke
 and J.V. Tucker, "Universal Algebra," _Handbook of Logic in Computer
 Science: Volume 1_, edited by S. Abramsky, D. Gabbay and T.S.E.
 Maibaum. London: Oxford University Press, 1993.

 [13] Samuel R. Delany, "The Tale of Potters and Dragons," _Tales of
 Neveryon_. Hanover: Bantam Books, 1979.

 [14] Gilles Fauconnier and Mark Turner, _The Way We Think: Conceptual
 Blending and the Mind's Hidden Complexities_. New York: Basic Books,
 2002.

 [15] Joseph E. Grady, Todd Oakley, and Seana Coulson, "Blending and
 Metaphor," _Metaphor in Cognitive Linguistics_, edited by G. Steen &
 R. Gibbs, Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 1999.

 [16] Joseph Goguen and Grant Malcolm. _Algebraic Semantics of
 Imperative Programs_. Cambridge: The MIT Press, 1996.

 [17] Joseph Goguen. "An Introduction to Algebraic Semiotics, with
 Application to User Interface Design," Proceedings, _Computation for
 Metaphors, Analogy and Agents_, edited by Chrystopher Nehaniv.
 Yakamtsu, Japan: 1998.

 [18] Ishmael Reed. "CNN's Ku Klux Feminists Unleashed On Kobe,"
 online, ~KONCH Magazine~, 2003.

 [19] Gilles Fauconnier and Mark Turner. "Compression and global
 insight," _Cognitive Linguistics_. Berlin: de Gruyter, 2000.

 [20] Ibid 14.

 [21] Henry Louis Gates, Jr., _The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of
 African-American Literary Criticism_. New York: Oxford, 1988.

 [22] Ibid 14.

 [23] D. Fox Harrell, _Milk Pudding Flavored with Rose Water, Blood
 Pudding Flavored by the Sea_, unpublished.

 [24] D. Fox Harrell, _Conceit_, unpublished.

 [25] Charles Mingus, "Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus,"
 compact disc, Candid Records, 2000. Original session, November 1960.

 [26] Maya Talmon Chvaicer. "The Criminalization of Capoeira in
 Nineteenth Century Brazil," _Hispanic American Historical Review_,
 82.3, pg. 525-547, 2002.

 [27] David Lehman, editor, _Great American Prose Poems: From Poe to
 the Present_. New York: Scribner Book Company , 2003.

 [28] James Thomas, Denise Thomas, Tom Hazuka, editors. _Flash
 Fiction: Very Short Stories_. New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 1992.

 [29] Ibid 21.

 [30] William Labov. "The transformation of experience in narrative
 syntax." In _Language in the Inner City_, Philadelphia: University of
 Pennsylvania, 1972.

 Fox Harrell is an artist and author pursuing new forms of
 computational narrative. He currently is a Ph.D. candidate in
 Computer Science and Cognitive Science at the University of
 California, San Diego. He earned an M.P.S. in Interactive
 Telecommunications at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts.
 He also earned a B.F.A. in Art, a B.S. in Logic and Computation, and
 minor in Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University. He has
 worked as a game designer and animation producer in New York City. He
 is a practitioner of Capoeira Angola. He recently completed his first
 novel, _Milk Pudding Flavored with Rose Water, Blood Pudding Flavored
 by the Sea_.

 *
 * CTHEORY is an international journal of theory, technology and
 *    culture. Articles, interviews, and key book reviews in
 *    contemporary discourse are published weekly as well as
 *    theorisations of major "event-scenes" in the mediascape.
 *
 * Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker
 *
 * Editorial Board: Jean Baudrillard (Paris), Paul Virilio (Paris),
 *   Bruce Sterling (Austin), R.U. Sirius (San Francisco), Siegfried
 *   Zielinski (Koeln), Stelarc (Melbourne), Richard Kadrey (San
 *   Francisco), DJ Spooky [Paul D. Miller] (NYC), Timothy Murray
 *   (Ithaca/Cornell), Lynn Hershman Leeson (San Francisco), Stephen
 *   Pfohl (Boston), Andrew Ross (NYC), David Cook (Toronto), Ralph
 *   Melcher (Sante Fe), Shannon Bell (Toronto), Gad Horowitz
 *   (Toronto), Andrew Wernick (Peterborough).
 *
 * In Memory: Kathy Acker
 *
 * Editorial Correspondents: Ken Hollings (UK),
 *   Maurice Charland (Canada) Steve Gibson (Canada/Sweden).
 *
 * Editorial Assistant: Ted Hiebert
 * WWW Design & Technical Advisor: Spencer Saunders (CTHEORY.NET)
 * WWW Engineer Emeritus: Carl Steadman

                To view CTHEORY online please visit:
                      http://www.ctheory.net/

            To view CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA online please visit:
                 http://ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu/

 * CTHEORY includes:
 *
 * 1. Electronic reviews of key books in contemporary theory.
 *
 * 2. Electronic articles on theory, technology and culture.
 *
 * 3. Event-scenes in politics, culture and the mediascape.
 *
 * 4. Interviews with significant theorists, artists, and writers.
 *
 * 5. Multimedia theme issues and projects.
 *
 *
 * The Editors would like the thank the University of Victoria for
 *   financial and intellectual support of CTheory. In particular, the
 *   Editors would like to thank the Dean of Social Sciences, Dr. C.
 *   Peter Keller, the Dean of Engineering, Dr. D. Michael Miller and
 *   Dr. Jon Muzio, Department of Computer Science.
 *
 *
 * (C) Copyright Information:
 *
 *   All articles published in this journal are protected by
 *   copyright, which covers the exclusive rights to reproduce and
 *   distribute the article.  No material published in this journal
 *   may be translated, reproduced, photographed or stored on
 *   microfilm, in electronic databases, video disks, etc., without
 *   first obtaining written permission from CTheory.
 *   Email [log in to unmask] for more information.
 *
 *
 * Mailing address: CTHEORY, University of Victoria, PO Box 3050,
 *   Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 3P5.
 *
 * Full text and microform versions are available from UMI, Ann Arbor,
 *   Michigan; and Canadian Periodical Index/Gale Canada, Toronto.
 *
 * Indexed in: International Political Science Abstracts/
 *   Documentation politique international; Sociological Abstract
 *   Inc.; Advance Bibliography of Contents: Political Science and
 *   Government; Canadian Periodical Index; Film and Literature Index.
 *

content by the NorMAN MailScanner Service and is believed
to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information
Systems and Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html