[CSL]: [CTHEORY] Article 155 - Slipstreaming the Cyborg

J Armitage <[log in to unmask]>

Interdisciplinary academic study of Cyber Society <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 May 2005 08:18:25 +0100

text/plain

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 12/05/2005 00:55
Subject: [CTHEORY] Article 155 - Slipstreaming the Cyborg

 CTHEORY         THEORY, TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE       VOL 28, NOS 1-2
        *** Visit CTHEORY Online: http://www.ctheory.net ***

 Article 155     11/05/2005     Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker

                         *************************

                            1000 DAYS OF THEORY

                         *************************

 Slipstreaming the Cyborg

 CTHEORY Interview with Christina McPhee

 ~Christina McPhee in conversation with Francesca De Nicolo~

      Christina McPhee (Los Angeles) engages the sense of place within
      an art that extends the semiotics of new media into layers of
      time, memory and sublimity. Her installations, often at
      architectural scale, instantiate artifacts of memory within the
      landscape of their own echoes. She develops technologically
      nuanced topographies in net art, sound, video, performance,
      painting and photography. christinamcphee.net, naxsmash.net, and
      carrizoparkfielddiaries.net.

      Francesca De Nicolo (Rome) is an art historian, independent
      curator and art critic. She studied contemporary art with
      Jolanda Nigro Covre and Silvia Bordini at the University of
      Rome; and is finishing research with Enrico Crispolti and Luca
      Quattrocchi of the University of Siena, on postorganic
      aesthetics and its connection with the net. She has been
      assistant at the GCAMC of Rome and assistant curator at the
      British School of Rome Contemporary Arts programme; she
      currently reviews art for Random, Exiwebart, Arte e Critica,
      Netartreview, Crudelia and Merzbau.

 CTHEORY: You have often described your new media work with the
 evocative term, 'slipstream,' In the parlance of internet service
 providers, 'slipstream' is an adjective, a verb and a noun, which
 refers to a fix or enhancement made to software without creating a
 new version number to identify the changes, for example, "a
 slipstream fix". When I look at your work online, I wonder about
 whether your presence, as the artist, is like this kind of
 enhancement, as if, maybe, you imagine or are the fix that alters the
 software within the software. Does this implicate how you identify a
 psychic space or transactional relationship between your body, 'the
 machine' and new media? Can we imagine a relative space, or
 transitive condition? Does this condition admit a conscious or
 visible place for the identity of the artist, or is that identity
 sublimated in the machine?

 Christina McPhee: Thinking about the poetics implied by "between your
 body and 'the machine'": -- one wonders if 'machines' could be
 imagined as distributive trace presences within a psychic
 architecture, even a voice-space, built from a breath inside the
 screen. Let's visualize a model of this breathing architecture; how
 can we imagine it as neither machine body nor human body, or maybe
 both, so that the space is as much a transitive verb as a nameable
 location. Here's where the visualization of 'slipstream' becomes
 especially useful: apart from programming slang, the word also has an
 older meaning in aerodynamics. Slipstream denotes the area of
 negative pressure or suction that follows a very fast moving object,
 like an airplane propeller. Or, when you're in a small sports car on
 the freeway, you can 'slipstream' behind a large truck, which allows
 your small vehicle to be sucked into the slipstream of the larger
 vehicle -- at risk to your life. "Slipstream" can be a metonym,
 standing in for a complex set of associations, including machine
 repair, hallucination ( as in, a 'fix' ), sublimation of identity
 (forward suction into something ahead of you), minimal resistance,
 and air, wind or breath (intake, inhalation, suction).

 CTHEORY: So does software 'slipstream' the artist?

 McPhee: Sure, so you could say, as a metaphor, my body, my lungs, my
 voice are sucked into the slipstream of this air tunnel 'behind' the
 swiftly moving, apparently autonomous vehicle, of software. My
 presence is subsumed or minimized, but a new version of me is not
 released. Slipstream only works as a negative pressure area, or x.
 Like the poet Emily Dickinson, I ask the machine, or maybe, it asks
 me, "I'm nobody, are you nobody too?" Between the two of us is this
 moving space or breathing architecture. Then there's a meta level of
 metonymy: 'slipstreaming' as a verb describes a dynamic relationship
 between two co-variants, presence (consciousness of information,
 stored as human/machine memory) and aphasia (inability to speak or
 articulate memory). It's not that memory is lost, or recovered, off/
 on; instead, the stored memory is inarticulate within the suction of
 the stream -- it's there, but its voice is lost in the rush of air. I
 find, and I am speaking of my own human, physical memory, that the
 psychic space implied by 'slipstream' is both self-reflexive and not
 about the self -- somehow the self (artist) disappears in the flux,
 leaving only the traces of her presence in fleeting gestures and in
 fast-moving spaces that extend beyond the browser, as if there is a
 screen so vast it becomes a night city.

 Naxsmash is a work, or series of net based projects, scenarios that
 try to disclose this kind of psychic topology, so that the
 'slipstream' relationship between body and machine generates this
 uncanny place, as if I am trying to describe what it is like inside
 the area of negative pressure, inside the stream/screen. Everything I
 have done as a painter and musician within new media has arisen from
 the process of trying to recover and release traumatic memory: the
 act of trying led to an act of generative fiction. Naxmash comes from
 NAX, a performance video (2001). NAX involved a video shoot of an
 onsite ritualized action, in which very little happened apart from my
 selection of the site, my lying down in the dirt, and breathing. The
 place was someplace I had forgotten and then accidentally
 rediscovered. There had been childhood violence there. I remembered
 it; I thought to conquer it, by going to the place and confronting
 its mean space and narrow darkness. I thought that by breathing there
 in a gesture learned from photographs of Ana Mendieta that I should
 be able to remake the place or release its violent memory. The
 physical performance was a ritual theatre without audience. The video
 documents an act of breathing as if to contain and release traumatic
 memory from the site.

 CTHEORY: This seems like some kind of private ritual action. But you
 recorded it, and you digitized it. So you're now not following the
 practice of Ana Mendieta. It seems to me, that her photographs of
 herself, lying in the dirt, in the sand, makes a kind of memoir. An
 attempt at a meaningful record. Maybe even like a monument to memory,
 or a momento mori. And yet I feel, this isn't happening in NAX, since
 you are interested in disappearance and loss of memory. Does Nax
 really tell a story, or imply that there is a story to tell?

 McPhee: I don't think NAX was about storytelling at all. Memory is
 the recognition or storage of events; memoir is narration of memory.
 All I did was, practically nothing: an act almost negligent-- just
 breathing. Breath itself: breathing new life into something. New life
 -- birth -- where the performance happened, the place was beside a
 lake named for the Nativity. NAX is shorthand for Lake Nacimiento,
 California. Later, in the digital studio, in the edit, to name the
 movie file, I typed "nacimiento," then "nascent," then "nax". That
 stopped me. "X" marked the place, but where was it? Inside the edit,
 the performance had disappeared into pixels: oxygenated gesture was a
 digital object. No longer a place, NAX became nowhere else than
 inside the digital video edits, via erasure and inscription. Smashing
 the violence inside the digital edit performed memory in a realm that
 has no site: x is negative. Then, too, "x," factor spliced the sign
 of female inside the media space. I noticed a shift: what had
 happened to the feminine x, the spot where I was or am, the location
 of the subject? I was gone. The site was gone.

 I felt that I had disappeared into the architecture of a place x,
 from whence, no longer visible, I could move freely, in terms of
 artistic and conceptual practice. (from (A)Nascent Memoire: The
 Naxsmash Project)
 naxsmash.net/public_html/texts/McPheeNaxsmash_files.htm

 CTHEORY: So it seems that you are imagining an electronic topology as
 a negative pressure zone, an x zone that extends in infinite strands
 or skeins? I get the impression that the online screen provides you
 with a time-based medium that delivers a certain kind of feeling, or
 atmosphere, of an indeterminate, maybe even infinite space, or an
 architectural topology that goes on and on in long time based
 strings. All that black background in Naxsmash makes me think of the
 black behind the scenes in paintings from the school of Caravaggio.
 Actions and events slip in and out of darkness, flickering in and out
 of the light. I sense drawings across a dynamic, breathing black
 field, a nightscape. But what I don't understand is how this night
 field connects with the breathing, slipstreaming metaphor you've been
 describing. Can you speak a bit about this breathing quality as,
 perhaps, a condition of immanence within a dark topology? Do you
 think that it is possible to speak about the concept of immanent body
 in your work?

 McPhee: Well, in some ways, the incidents, such as quicktime movies,
 interactive links, texts, sounds emerge in Naxsmash naxsmash.net are
 drawing elements or traces across the dark topology, or maybe you
 could even call it a dark body, of the space of the work. The space
 'behind' the screen in Naxsmash, as you say, has an atmosphere or
 quality of infinite extension, or of an architectural topology that
 might be going on and on indefinitely. It was because of this kind of
 state of unconditional extension, that I could imagine a
 slipstreaming state of being: the old subjective "I" of myself, the
 artist, disappears into the pixels, leaving traces like drawings or
 residue or debris. The traces are the visual and auditory incidents
 that, sort of, coalesce into narrative fragments in the various
 sections of Naxsmash -- Sonic Persephone, No Flight Zone, Slipstream
 Andromeda, Blood Ellipse, 47 Reds, and Avatarotica. By working in
 hypertext and animation for online work, work that could only exist
 in the oxygen of pixels could escape being covered over or
 suffocated. Inside the slipstream, the code, not authored by me, only
 slipstreamed by me, always worked the same way, each time,
 automatically, autonomically, a mechanism of disclosure and
 disappearance, of strange threads of sound, moving image fragments
 and text. Sometimes I call the naxsmash site "vox cyborg." Perhaps I
 am not really answering your question, but I guess what I am trying
 to describe, is an aesthetic of immanence. Immanence, in that I was
 able to suggest my body presence while hiding it. The subjective
 memory disappears, leaving a trace in these partial, or fragmentary
 identities and voices, Persephone and Andromeda. Just being able to
 create these immanent personae kept me from suicide.

 CTHEORY: I guess you could say then that you kept your body and mind
 alive through net-based media.

 McPhee: True enough. Before access to multimedia authoring tools,
 during the nineties, I would carry out large performative drawings,
 layering precisely drawn fragments of doorways, stairways, and
 choreographic movements of dancers in archaeological ruins from sites
 in the American southwest. I left large areas blank, as if the viewer
 could fill it in, or in a way, because the openness of the empty
 space was a place of refuge. The drawings were both precise in
 execution and ambiguous as representations -- they gestured at
 something immanent and undisclosed. Pushing towards greater and
 greater articulation, I was trying to see something that I could not
 see. I would add more and more detail until a breaking point would
 happen. I could not bear too much information. I would smother the
 delicate drawings and clear traces with dark slashes of paint, like
 cuts of a machete. Painting's immediacy and fluency led me to a wall.
 The painting surface was like a wall behind which were insupportable
 memoires of sexual violence. I could not go there and yet if I did
 not I could not become coherent as a subject. I could only allow
 limited glimpses of color and drawing to survive. Some of these are
 at http://www.naxsmash.net/inscapes/ in the archive section (in
 Flash). Lost drawings, ten years of work, turned into dead zones
 where the animated trace -- the cognitive, the aware -- disappeared
 under suffocating materials. A drive to survive kept me alive, but
 killed painting until I could figure out a way to paint inside
 electronic media, where I could disappear into the pixels and live
 behind the wall of paint, now a screen.

 CTHEORY: Still, in terms of electronic media, are you actually
 talking about the net, or electronic interactive installation? Does
 it matter which?

 McPhee: Really both were useful, in the sense that taking NAX video
 performance and turning it, itself, into an online performative
 interactive work, made it an impersonal, or subpersonal, open work,
 in the sense of Umberto Eco, I could actually continue to survive as
 a body. Immanently, you could say: "The machine has an organic back."
 (Fernandez Galiano) Thus the = 'cyborg' body arose naturally out of
 my suicidal dilemma: an 'I/not I' appears as a transference -- a
 projection into and out of the screen world, while remaining in a
 sense, trapped behind or inside the screen. By being able to
 'breathe' through the multimedia authoring tools, I started to make
 still transparent works for Naxsmash, but I did not want to fix them
 to the wall, because they might revert to being read as obscuring
 veils. So I printed them in transparent scrims and made performance
 installations of them. I performed inside a 'forest' of scrims, by
 shooting video of my own performance through the scrims, and then
 drawing on the scrims from the back sides, so that the projection of
 my drawing gestures would cut through the performance space, and onto
 the audience and onto the walls of the club or gallery. I performed
 first at Moonbase Gallery, Vancouver in 2001 with the show Digitalis
 1, then at California Museum of Photography UC Riverside
 www.cmp.ucr.edu/photography/impromptu/mcphee.html in 2002, and later
 to the San Francisco Performance Cinema Symposium and to RMIT
 Melbourne DAC : Streaming Worlds in 2003. At Selectmedia 03, Chicago,
 I was surrounded by an indifferent and occasionally hostile club
 crowd. People came up and tried to make me break concentration. The
 performance www.christinamcphee.net/performanceinstallation/
 selectmediaperformance.htm) became an act of resistance.

 CTHEORY: Resistance, that's interesting, your personae in Naxsmash
 always seems to elude definitive identification. In the Naxsmash
 digital print suite, there appear fragments of a woman's body -- most
 of the shots, are they shots of you? You look like you're tied up, in
 a sadomasochistic way, with red ropes. Are you showing your body as a
 cyborg condition?

 McPhee: Maybe. It did seem like the act of publishing the redropes
 images, ironically, opened up the problematic of suicide and erasure
 into a public realm, by creating a digital performance online,
 thereby exposing that obsession to the public space of the net. And
 of course that leads quickly, in my imagination at any rate, to a
 consideration of obsessional topologies. Places of slippage, where
 things are about to happen, or haven't just happened yet: where you
 are waiting for something: a Piranesian 'Carcieri'-like space.

 CTHEORY: A prison, but you talk about things breaking open, or
 breaking apart. How does this relate to the cyborg? Is her body
 continuously falling apart?

 McPhee: Yes, I think that the slipstreaming implies a constant
 fragmenting into strands or skeins. And then you ask yourself, how
 can I trace or map these? Is there a correlation to a topology
 outside the self, outside the psychic architecture?

 CTHEORY: So you move into landscape.

 McPhee: Yes. Certainly with the cyborg, there's no-one there, only a
 set of instructions or a data-body. In fact, experiencing a
 significant earthquake (6.5) (the San Simeon quake of December 23,
 2003) suggested a new direction. I shot images of the destruction and
 began a suite of images that dealt with the presence/absence of
 memory, again trying to embody memory through the bitmap. I also
 integrated these as stills within video footage shot at the media
 circus surrounding the disaster, and contrasted them to the silence
 and emptiness (the 'open' phenomenology) of Soda Lake, a sheer white
 dry lakebed near the San Andreas Fault. This became the digital
 short, SALT. In Salt,
 www.christinamcphee.net/slipcity/texts/salt.html, a cyborg like
 antagonist, a dark silhouette against the white lake, seems to
 tantalize and retreat. SALT explored the problem of memory, how it is
 not encoded perfectly into the body, but is subject to slippage. And
 inside a deserted landscape.

 CTHEORY: How does your new work, Carrizo-Parkfield Diaries, explore
 memory differently than Naxsmash? Are we still in the realm of the
 cyborg body? What is being remembered here? I understand you are
 working with near real time, live data streams from a USGS site. Is
 data an objective entity, that's being somehow transformed into a
 subjective presence? Does the truth of the data, or relative truth,
 matter to you?

 McPhee: The Carrizo-Parkfield Diaries interpolate live and archived
 seismic and geomorphologic data through digital photographic, video
 and sonic installation; large scale digital photographic prints,
 digital video, locative and electronic audio; and online time based
 interactive art. I made very large digital chromogenic prints from
 documentary medium format and digital photography, digital video, and
 drawings made on-site at seismically active zones in central
 California -- Carrizo Plains, where the San Andreas Fault is most
 visible, and Parkfield, a continuously active seismic landscape,
 where a recent 6.0 quake yields a rich archive of geologic data. I
 incorporate layers of field observation within a dream-like sequence
 of abstract images, where passages of linear structures and shadowed
 mass allude to ruins and debris in the wake of recent tremors. By
 means of architectural scale, at 72 to 92 inches, each print is like
 a page torn from a cinematic notebook -- film stills from an
 event-scene that has almost materialized, laced with traces from
 geomorphologic maps. At carrizoparkfielddiaries.net, Flash animations
 trigger from a selective crashing of online live data against
 archived data from the recent 6.0 quake at Parkfield.
 christinamcphee.net/cpdstrikeslip.html.

 John Haber (haberarts.com) wrote recently to me about "the tendency
 to forget that the metaphoric connection between the finished image
 and the original data does not flow naturally, not because the work
 itself isn't an adequate model or metaphor of phenomena (art as
 landscape, art as commerce), but because the original data themselves
 did not have a phenomenological relationship to such things, but only
 arose in the context of a methodology, model or metaphor." To me this
 point seems particularly salient -- that the data is 'real' only
 insofar as it is known to be conditionally related to something
 outside data, nature itself. Similarly, the cyborg landscape and the
 cyborg identity are conditional. They relate as an indication of real
 things and real subjects outside the slipstream, but inside the
 vortex of the negative x space of media and information arts, they
 can only exist in strange self referential loops.

 CTHEORY: This sounds like a contradiction: on the one hand, you're
 saying that there is no objectivity to the data scape, and on the
 other hand, you're claiming some kind of metaphoric truth be
 inscribed between geologic and human traumatic memory.

 McPhee: No, it's not that kind of direct linking. Again, think of the
 conditional situation: it's really more a matter of allusion, and
 ellipse, and syntax. To speak of the immanent body in my practice, is
 to allude to the problem of physical memory, how trauma and suffering
 is imprinted or inscribed in the brain and the body of real people,
 in real places, like the debris or archaeology of violence, buried in
 the 'code' of the body itself.

 CTHEORY: To give the body space in which to be able to breathe...

 McPhee: Right, I am slipstreaming, moving in and out of an immanent
 body through the live data of the net, through installation, through
 performance, and even through still composite images like the large C
 prints, whose dark depths have such a shiny mirrored surface that
 they reflect on each other in an endless Piranesian array. Just to
 make this work as installation in still form brings me back to the
 problem of layered drawings: but now I have not erased them.
 www.christinamcphee.net/carrizoparkfielddiaries/
 transportinstallation1/84x40in.htm.

 CTHEORY: I suspect that you must be fascinated by the condition of
 border and border space, then, particularly in relationship to your
 physical memory and your body. Do you, yourself, feel like a border?

 McPhee: Thinking about this question raises another, what is border?
 or border space? My current landscape based work conflates human
 traumatic and geologic memory as a single 'seismic' memory. The
 border is fluid, or semipermeable. In poetic terms, aftershock is
 inevitable. Our minds are tuned to anticipate the next disaster.
 Destabilized, continuously, we look to data, delivered by our
 instrumentations, to surveille the geologic conditions, in hopes of
 saving ourselves from the next violent destruction of our city. Our
 city becomes our body, and is already a cyborg border space itself.

 In naxsmash.net/47reds/47redshift.html, I imagine myself both
 watching a woman running through the streets of the city and being
 that woman myself, and that woman is the city -- an 'illumination' of
 one of Italo Calvino's texts from Invisible Cities (cities+desire5).

 One may have a vision of a city stretching between Los Angeles and
 San Francisco that cannot sustain itself except in the margins. Thus,
 a border space/ crossroads. The Carrizo Diaries start to touch on
 this... in their generative 'echoes' of an uncertain future; I tried
 to imagine structures of debris containing habitations -- thinking
 all the while of Constant's Babylon models (which I saw at the
 Documenta XII, Kassel, in 2002).
 www.christinamcphee.net/carrizoparkfielddiaries/album/pages/
 debris.htm.

 The generative fictions that both distress and enchant my imagination
 are ones that, despite linguistic filtering through the machine
 language (large photoshop files, Final Cut Pro Video, Flash, PhP,
 java, in my practices) still assert some strange material presence
 that seems to beg to be recognized as human. I work at the image
 building until a strangeness of the images refuses the obvious
 gestures that these programs are designed to deliver.

 Maybe a matrixial strategy is in the set of all possible interactions
 here: x = (christina)(photoshop) / documentary images.

 CTHEORY: Do you mean that software has consciousness, on a really
 simple linguistic process level?

 McPhee: I don't know about consciousness. Nonetheless, because I
 remediate the pages of my diary, my raw experience with the
 landscape, by forcing it into a syntax of a linguistically narrow
 architecture (the commercial tools), on the other side of the tunnel,
 the work 'comes out' as a kind of difference. Like, as if it's a
 queer condition -- refusing accommodation and disappearance, it
 asserts itself as Uncanny -- unheimlich.

 CTHEORY: Does the commercial software dominate the content?

 McPhee: Well, it is a moot point, that the software design -- the
 layers metaphor in Photoshop, for example -- influences, perhaps even
 co-authors the photographic image data. More interesting to me than
 the idea of domination, is the idea of occlusion and looking through
 -- partially inside -- the data landscape. In the Diaries, I pushed
 the images to the point that they became abstract vertical
 constructs, or abstract architectural arrays that suggest looking
 through, rather than over, the surface, yet the layers cover and
 converge on one another, so that it's challenging to the viewer, to
 figure out what the diaries want to record. You are forced to rely on
 studying the internal contextual relations between different images
 and traces within the installation, to decode them into a narrative
 or subnarrative. In Carrizo-Parkfield I enjoy playing with the
 syntactical relationships between several very divergent kinds of
 visual representation. On one extreme margin of this project, is the
 raw experience of drawing, of making performance work in the dry lake
 bed, shooting film at dirt level, remembering Ana Mendieta, as in the
 'carrizoclip' here www.christinamcphee.net/cpdstrikedipslip.html.

 On the other extreme margin, is the super slick dark pools of the
 installation prints, mirror like, apparently impassive, reflecting,
 in their surfaces, back to you, the observer, the witness, standing
 there. www.christinamcphee.net/
 carrizoparkfielddiaries/transportinstallation1/pages/
 aftershocaccelsubt1_jpg.htm. There, where you stand, you absorb the
 distant place, Carrizo Plain, into the reflected image of your body
 in the mirrored wall. The Carrizo becomes abstracted to the point of
 disappearance.

 CTHEORY: Where, then, is the cyborg landscape? Where is the border?

 McPhee: You find it in the cat's cradle of impulses between the
 'remembering' of the performance and documentation work and the
 'forgetting' of the pseudo perfect mask of Photoshopped image. It
 seems to me that this condition, of being only able to remember part
 of the time, partially, 'through a glass darkly', is 'completely
 human centered.' I desire a strange (unheimlich) use of the mode of
 production (the commercial software) in service of a generative human
 space (fictional, fluid, resistant to categorization, escaping being
 tagged and identified). Using the radar to stay under the radar (a
 coyote trick).

 CTHEORY: Does this mean that there is a political dimension to the
 project itself, insofar as it is born of resistance to being
 sublimated to forgetfulness, to amnesia and to totalizing technology?
 That it still insists on being some kind of 'diary', which suggests
 person -- subject -- aliveness outside the prison? Is this
 frightening?

 McPhee: I've been thinking about this, a kind of witness to something
 we don't want to see or know. At Documenta XI, in 2002 the Italian
 artists group Multiplicity showed a harrowing installation of
 interviews and videos related to the deaths by drowning of immigrants
 from Asia to Italy on a Christmas night. "We say that it did not
 happen, we say that we did not know (Multiplicity, Solid Sea,)
 resonates at naxsmash.net/noflightzone/texthtml/peregrine.html) In
 the case of the Carrizo Parkfield Diaries, the fact that California's
 urban space stretches over completely unpredictable seismic terrain,
 over which we do not have control, and with which we must develop
 some kind of rapprochement and negotiation? In the fact that a
 totalizing media landscape is not possible, because life always
 (already) exists outside of whatever we might imagine as 'landscape'?

 CTHEORY: Could you say that you are definitively, a cyborg? Or are
 you a witness to the cyborg?

 McPhee: I feel my body is like a border; but, no, it is not itself a
 cyborg, because it (I) exist in some kind of condition of alterity
 outside technology even though I experience its operational
 architecture from the inside, as if from the inside of my body, heart
 and brain. It's a strange condition, liberating and uncomfortable:
 but better than the old psychotropic condition of enslavement, when
 in former times (before I entered the media labyrinth) my mind was
 hostage to the repetitive, unpredictable onslaught of triggered
 memories of violence to my body. Now I may be lost in the borders of
 the labyrinth, but I have no longer lost my psychic self. I remember
 who and what I am while I move through the operational constructs of
 media. Thus I escape media. Perhaps (I) is simply this: the
 consciousness of a space beyond any formulation of 'landscape' or
 technology', that paradoxically resides inside my body. And anyway, I
 will die, and cyborgs don't. They are a conditional, or subjunctive
 tense within a larger grammar.

 CTHEORY: If we are not cyborgs, then, let's go back to slipstreaming
 as the idea of 'fix'. Sounds a bit like a drug habit. Is new media
 like that, an insatiable addiction? Deliriously, do we hallucinate
 some 'interaction' with new media, as if this interaction is
 technopoetics outside of as well as inscribed on our own bodies? Is
 that an assumption, that 'new media' launches a trace or line towards
 some construction or Cartesian coordinate outside itself?

 McPhee: I tend not to think of new media or operations with it as
 being something that exists a priori, with some kind of transcendent
 value as a super-tool or super-techne. Towards phase-like and
 phrase-like instantiations of artifice or artificial life, such as
 the code-driven visualities and sonorities of digital media, one
 feels the advance and retreat of some kind of metadata that works
 above a condition that we cannot see and cannot access (a sublime
 condition, such as, 'nature'). This semiotic movement of information
 poetically, metaphorically, across barrier, border or transgressive
 zone, is a constant obsession in my imaginative experience. The
 obsession seems to express itself in a lyrical and complex
 materialist poetics, such that the new media digital environment
 becomes a series of semiotic gestures, or linguistic moves, towards
 and away from seeing and knowing.

 CTHEORY: Or towards and away from memory and remembering.

 McPhee: The digitally marked moves are only partially legible: they
 only spell a partial sentence. Or, you could say, that the new media
 art environment is one of continuous decay and rebuilding, like an
 architectural topology or language-topology. Sometimes this flux
 seems to be instigated algorithmically, like Fluxus sentences. In
 some ways, this is how the online diaries,
 carrizoparkfielddiairies.net, work. Here, compiled hourly, live
 microseismic strong motion data from a southern California remote
 site, crash archived seismic data from a recent quake in Parkfield,
 California.

 CTHEORY: You've written that the live diaries' reach into the past
 changes the archive from a static resource into an unpredictable
 future array. How does that work? Is this a delirious use of new
 media -- where interaction isn't any more between viewer or user and
 the digital work, but rather, an interaction with data coming off the
 landscape? Interaction with the landscape through a series of strange
 mediations?

 McPhee: Sindee Nakatani and I thought it would be interesting to
 crash databases of live and archived strong motion data from the
 geologic field stations at Parkfield, California, because, as our
 collaborative writer, Jeremy Hight, pointed out, it would be an
 intriguing model of the way our short term memory and immediate
 experiences in the present, crash into our memory and alter the data
 inside our heads, so that, in the end, memory, and memoir, generate
 themselves -- they are fictions. The the diaries consist of
 semi-random animations based on locative sound, electronic keyboard,
 textual memoir, and documentary video / photographic stills from the
 fault at Carrizo, while, subliminally, Parkfield 'appears' invisibly
 as the data feed. Hourly compilations of the latest seismic data are
 performed via a CRON job, which executes a retrieval script. This
 semi-real time data is parsed into an array which is then used to
 crash numerical strings into an array of archived data from the
 September 28, 2004 Parkfield quake. These crashes occur via action
 scripts written into each one of a series of Flash animation movies,
 which do simultaneous retrievals of data of the live and archived
 arrays.

 CTHEORY: What are the numbers that seem to log in, in between Flash
 presentations?

 McPhee: Those number strings form from the crashing of the two
 databases -- near live versus archived -- and these strings, in turn,
 make random selections of Flash movies from our project folder; each
 movie presents in a randomized way, so that no sequence is ever the
 same, while the sequences as a formal looping resemble the obsessive
 return, or metanoia, of traumatic memory. Every once in a while, the
 browser gets stuck and you have to reset, and then the project
 continues; but meanwhile, as always, live data is being captured and
 compiled from the remote site, which I found on a US Geological
 Survey public folder on a server. In essence, there is interactivity
 within a new media context, or semiotics: but not with the human
 'user' in the classic sense (point and click). The interactivity is
 with the datastream coming from instrumentation on the remote site,
 recording micro increments of ground motion changes, in velocity,
 acceleration, and other perameters.

 CTHEORY: Even so, there is no interactivity with nature itself,
 rather with the 'material' of data compilations coming off the desert
 site.

 McPhee: It's exciting to me to think that the piece is driven by a
 sublime source outside new media, and thus outside ourselves, and
 that this source remains and endures as an emitter of seismic
 information, that then records as the earth's own diary, or memoir.
 Thus the idea of nature as being in completely co-subjective status
 with ourselves is suggested. To me the beauty of new media techne
 relates to its usefulness as a tool for gesturing towards sublimity,
 i e. what can only be know in part, if at all.

 CTHEORY: Are the Diaries a closed book, or are you thinking of their
 implications outside the installation, and, perhaps, outside the
 world of seismic data? Are they extensive, like the slipstream? Are
 they pulling you into new lines of research?

 McPhee: One of the most interesting things about installing the
 Carrizo Parkfield Diaries in LA, was to realize that it would be
 great to deconstruct the installation and reassemble it in different
 ways, depending on the architectural conditions of the next space.
 This is a transitional strategy while I begin a close study of
 another series of urban and rural sites in southern California.
 Currently, I am pulling out fragments of the prints as stills and
 then inserting the stills into video footage that I have shot while
 walking through dense urban spaces in London, Berlin and Los Angeles.
 I am recycling the fragments as if they are memory fragments that
 carry the data of the seismic trauma into a displaced, dream like
 context. The new context is the nomadic journey through the city.
 Carrizo Parkfield Diaries flows out of a slightly earlier project ,
 generally called Merz_city, in honor of Kurt Schwitters. In
 Merz_city, there continues to be an aesthetic of breakdown and
 waiting within a flux, so that there's an edgy anticipation,
 exaggerating the quality of the numinous and fleeting presence of
 persons unknown. One is moving through the city, lost in one's own
 thoughts, and the mind flickers between the inner obsessive realm of
 fragments of aftershock (the Carrizo stills), patches of darkness or
 confusion, and intense, near chaotic activity that one perceives in
 the ephemeral fleeting intensity of the street. Schwitters was
 concerned with the idea of sublation, or the continuous negation and
 simultaneous preservation of image. Like a continuously augmented and
 expiring drawing, merz_city both exposes and erases an imaginary
 heterogeneous city that draws you in and leaves you out, on the edge
 of falling; a city preoccupied with its own obliteration and
 simultaneous performance.

 CTHEORY: Tell me about your relationship with sound and music and
 about the movement or artists that you think of in your works?

 McPhee: My musical education was through private lessons, never in
 formal professional training. Restricted from watching television or
 going to movies when I was very young, my desires for art practice
 were poured into music, landscape, and books. What I couldn't see
 seemed to be the important thing. Visual art, like film, could
 somehow bring the invisible into the visible, even if randomly, or in
 glimpses. I am sure that the exile from California had something to
 do with this thirst for things not immediately at hand, but that I
 could make, somehow, by improvisation on the keyboard, or by drawing
 out on the prairie. I dreamed of connecting dots into great complexes
 of sound and visual incident, like film, but not really with
 narrative. Music, especially of Bach, made me visualize synaesthetic
 structures, like great strange castles in the air.

 CTHEORY: You mentioned Fluxus earlier with regard to setting up data
 interpolations as a set of randomized instructions. I would imagine
 you are influenced by the work of John Cage.

 McPhee: Certainly, Cage has inspired strategies in the sound project,
 Slipstreamkonza (www.christinamcphee.net/slipkonza/autochamber.html),
 with some insights from Henry Warwick (2004). Intuitive, almost
 randomized recirculation and improvisation of long-remembered bits
 and pieces, motifs, credenzas, mini-arpeggios, descending minor
 fifths, little blues riffs, move best through my hands, and short
 circuit the visual brain while playing.

 CTHEORY: How does sound function in your works? You speak of the
 cyborg as a neural topology in some of your writings. Is sound a part
 of this experience?

 McPhee: In my own brain it seems that the fear-centers of the mind
 (the amygdalas) are overridden with something like an endorphin or
 tension release through the formal figuration that seems to attend
 improvisational performance, and, later, transmutes and transforms
 multimedia formal conditions -- like a subterranean stream below the
 level of the visual in my multimedia works. Perhaps the music
 structures, as complex as they are, carry out a kind of mathematical
 coherence or temporal architecture, or armature, over which the
 visual absences and presences with which one can develop narrative
 and formal sequences, can be suspended. I also have noticed, that
 when reacting to traumatic memory, the first thing that shuts down is
 my voice (words), the second, visual thinking, and the third, or very
 last, is music and sound. The sound patterns remain a powerful
 neurological pathway for remaining conscious and integrated
 emotionally and cognitively even when I cannot understand what is
 happening around me, or when experiencing paralyzing fear and mental
 shutdown, in other modes of thought. Perhaps there is a deep
 impression in my hands and heart, arising from childhood hours at the
 piano, that there is an integrative principle in the cosmos that
 leaks out via music to the human level.

 CTHEORY: How did you become involved with electronic composition?

 McPhee: The pathways into sound for me came totally through the
 medium of digital transformation of analog material and memories of
 sounds in childhood at the piano. I was messing around a lot with an
 old (circa 1995) Yamaha Clavinova and finding that the musical ideas
 of my childhood experience came flooding back into consciousness. It
 was as if a lost part of my mind and soul had come back to me. As
 soon as I realized there were no digital rules, no performance
 agenda, no audience, I started to play improvisations that flowed out
 of a thousand memory fragments of Bartok, Ravel, Stravinsky, and
 Shostakovich, the doric mode, perhaps, set to move up and through
 lines of Kansas City blues. The acoustic pleasures of improvisation
 led directly into digital files that became fodder for editing and
 montaging into stranger and shorter passages until there were only
 intense distillations of electronic electroacoustical distortions
 left like ruins touched here and there by lines of architectural
 melody. So for me this work is like mining the gold of the intense
 sense of the present cached within the past I remember from childhood
 at the piano. Sound art is a mode of super awareness as if one is
 singing in the interstitial spaces between one present moment and the
 next present moment: a hyper now.

 CTHEORY: You've written, on the soundtoys site,
 www.soundtoys.net/a/index.php about how you find that transpositions
 of image and sound delivery on the net create thresholds between
 what's behind the screen and what is physically live, between virtual
 and so called real. Why does this happen, in your view? What's so
 special about sound?

 McPhee: For reasons I do not understand, it seems that sound reaches
 past the barriers of memory and, like Orpheus, hears the material of
 dreams of the underground and reports the sound in an awakened, live
 state.

 CTHEORY: Is this too a kind of slipstreaming, in which you are
 slipstreaming behind the 'bid data' fields of seismic activity? Are
 the media effects reports from the underground, or reports from a
 subliminal source?

 McPhee: Off and on since 2001, I've been working on Slipstreamkonza,
 a sonic topology in net and physical installation. Slipstreamkonza
 makes a space in which near live compilations of carbon
 photosynthesis from microclimatologic instrumentation at the remote
 site, in a dynamic database, generate a series of slipped,
 discontinuous flows of data into animation via capture and
 transformation of compressed diurnal/nocturnal and seasonal cycles of
 the tall grass prairie. Slipstreamkonza's design flows photosynthetic
 data from microclimate measurements on the tall grass prairie via the
 net, into compilations, that in turn trigger sound from micro ambient
 conditions at the prairie site, literally at grass roots level. The
 installation could express the breathing of the prairie in the middle
 of urban life, so that the live landscape 'voices' itself
 telematically. North of Konza, as a kid I rambled through fields and
 scrubby creekbeds -- a Turnerian landscape delivering absence and
 presence, there and not there, like the flow of invisible breathing.
 I am interested in the way net-based data-driven environments can
 emulate a remote presence, much like the ephemera of childhood. The
 sonic topology performs through play on and through the carbon data,
 so that data and the net sound are in a musical self-reflexive loop,
 remediating, through a flexible action-scripted Flash interface,
 photosynthesis. The sound becomes a performance field, whose shapes
 and dynamics flow from coupling to numeric expressions arising from
 landscape itself.

 CTHEORY: In the end you are in love with the cyborg landscape, the
 technological landscape. You seem to want to remediate a sense of
 place through performance of the data. Global media is often said to
 obliterate the local. Yet, here you describe a situation in which the
 specificity and ephemerality of algorithmic triggers from the
 landscape itself brings the remote location into intimate presence.
 christinamcphee.net/slipkonza/SlipstreamKonzaSemiotics.htm

 McPhee: The prairie is, in my physical memory, a place of aftershock
 (the site of sexual trauma and emotional violence), and, at the same
 time, extremely beautiful in its spatial austerity, abundant
 absences, and proliferant grasses reaching to heaven. My hope is that
 somehow by creating a negotiation with that landscape through sound
 will permit a cognitive reformulation of that landscape: landscape
 becomes art through the winnowing of the grasses of trauma, not to
 bury the human under ground alive, in a temporary seasonal death like
 Persephone, but to release the data of the prairie into an aesthetic
 of sound that reflects a larger semiotic structure that can support
 and release a metaphor of life.

 About the artist:

 Born in Los Angeles, Christina fell in love with the extreme
 contrasts of terrain and city in southern California. A childhood
 move to rural Nebraska was an exile where, in the absence of the
 visual complexity of California, she trained her eye towards the
 subtleties of landscape in apparently empty space, read voraciously
 and studied piano and drawing. A world of imaginary layered
 landscapes propelled a desire to create physical manifestations of
 the same, and, upon earning a scholarship to Scripps College,
 Clarement, she began interdisciplinary studies in literature, art
 history and philosophy. Painting and printmaking followed, at Kansas
 City Art Institute (BFA), and as a student of Philip Guston in
 painting at Boston University (MFA). Since 2000, her digitally
 transformed landscapes are both performative and architectural, and
 extend a baroque complexity into a collusion of still and time based
 media. A study of the space of the net as a live subject, or
 cyborg-topology, www.naxsmash.net has been included in festivals and
 electronic media archives around the world, including Cornell
 University Libraries, National Library of Australia, Soundtoys.net,
 and the Rhizome Artbase New York. Since 2001, her time based
 interactive performances and installations have traveled and shown in
 many international venues, among them , in London and also in western
 European venues; FILE in Sao Paulo (2002); R-R-F at National Museum
 of Contemporary Art, Bucharest (2003), and New Media Art Festival
 Bangkok (2004); Lounge|lab, an installation at the Back_up Festival
 for New Media and Film, at Bauhaus-University-Weimar (2003); San
 Francisco Performance Cinema Symposium (2003), Victoria Film
 Festival, British Columbia (2004), and California Museum of
 Photography UC-Riverside (2002). She showed with "Page_Space" at
 Machine Gallery in Los Angeles in 2004, and Carrizo Parkfield Diaries
 www.christinamcphee.net/cpdstrikedipslip.html showed at Transport
 Gallery, Los Angeles and RX Gallery, San Francisco in spring 2005.
 Her short film SALT will show in Hic et Nunc, a Veneto regional
 festival during the Venice Biennale 2005, from June 10 to July 17,
 2005. She has presented her work on seismic memory landscapes for
 Jihui, the Digital Salon at Parsons/New School University, New York
 City in spring 2005 netart-init.org/jihuisalon/view.php?jihui_id=69
 She will be at the Humlab University of Umea, Sweden, for a data
 mining research residency in October 2005. McPhee was a resident
 artist at the Banff Centre in 1999, where she was inspired to work in
 new media by Teri Rueb and the artists of parkbench (New York). She
 is a noted writer on new media, most recently published in Life in
 the Wires: A CTheory Reader (2004) www.lifeinthewires.net and
 co-moderates an international list digital media arts, -- empyre --
 (www.subtle.net/empyre). Her collaborative live seismic data project,
 www.carrizoparkfielddiaries.net, is in the net art archive collection
 of the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York.

 Current/future projects from McPhee include online mpeg releases on
 Chicago-based microsound label Stasisfield (www.stasisfield.com) in
 summer 2005, including a release of selected sound art from
 Carrizo-Parkfield Diaries and from Slipstreamkonza. In 2003, digital
 prints from Slipstreamkonza won the James Phelan Award for
 Printmaking, San Francisco Foundation, showing at Kala Art Institute
 in Berkeley (2003) and RX Gallery, San Francisco, in 2004. Christina
 formed naxsmash group productions, for intermedia art and design
 installation, with Terry Hargrave, MIT-trained architect, teacher and
 video artist, in 2002. Her net art works, noflightzone and 47Reds are
 archived at CTHEORY Multimedia in two issues online, WIRED RUINS
 (2002) and NETNOISE (2003), at ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu,
 Sonicpersephone and Piranesia are published in London by
 www.soundtoys.net, together with 47Reds on www.chairetmetal.com in
 Montreal, curated by Ollivier Dyens. Writing on net architecture and
 the poetics of virtual space is found at arch.virose.pt. Her net art
 work on traumatic memory and violence is at
 www.a-virtual-memorial.org and is part of the >wartime< project at
 offline.area3.net/wartime/. Her exhibition on volcanic landscapes,
 Ring of Fire, was supported by the State Foundation for Culture and
 the Arts, Hawaii in 1999, for the University of Hawaii. Her
 paintings, drawings and prints are the Kemper Museum of Contemporary
 Art, Colorado Springs Fine Art Center/Taylor Museum, Spencer Museum
 of Artand the Sheldon Museum of Art and Sculpture Garden, University
 of Nebraska; private collections of her landscape-based drawings,
 photography, and digital prints are in London, New York, Paris,
 Chicago, Kansas City and Los Angeles.

 *
 * CTHEORY is an international journal of theory, technology and
 *    culture. Articles, interviews, and key book reviews in
 *    contemporary discourse are published weekly as well as
 *    theorisations of major "event-scenes" in the mediascape.
 *
 * Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker
 *
 * Editorial Board: Jean Baudrillard (Paris), Paul Virilio (Paris),
 *   Bruce Sterling (Austin), R.U. Sirius (San Francisco), Siegfried
 *   Zielinski (Koeln), Stelarc (Melbourne), Richard Kadrey (San
 *   Francisco), DJ Spooky [Paul D. Miller] (NYC), Timothy Murray
 *   (Ithaca/Cornell), Lynn Hershman Leeson (San Francisco), Stephen
 *   Pfohl (Boston), Andrew Ross (NYC), David Cook (Toronto), Ralph
 *   Melcher (Sante Fe), Shannon Bell (Toronto), Gad Horowitz
 *   (Toronto), Andrew Wernick (Peterborough).
 *
 * In Memory: Kathy Acker
 *
 * Editorial Correspondents: Ken Hollings (UK),
 *   Maurice Charland (Canada) Steve Gibson (Canada/Sweden).
 *
 * Editorial Assistant: Ted Hiebert
 * WWW Design & Technical Advisor: Spencer Saunders (CTHEORY.NET)
 * WWW Engineer Emeritus: Carl Steadman

                To view CTHEORY online please visit:
                      http://www.ctheory.net/

            To view CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA online please visit:
                 http://ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu/

 * CTHEORY includes:
 *
 * 1. Electronic reviews of key books in contemporary theory.
 *
 * 2. Electronic articles on theory, technology and culture.
 *
 * 3. Event-scenes in politics, culture and the mediascape.
 *
 * 4. Interviews with significant theorists, artists, and writers.
 *
 * 5. Multimedia theme issues and projects.
 *
 *
 * The Editors would like the thank the University of Victoria for
 *   financial and intellectual support of CTheory. In particular, the
 *   Editors would like to thank the Dean of Social Sciences, Dr. C.
 *   Peter Keller, the Dean of Engineering, Dr. D. Michael Miller and
 *   Dr. Jon Muzio, Department of Computer Science.
 *
 *
 * (C) Copyright Information:
 *
 *   All articles published in this journal are protected by
 *   copyright, which covers the exclusive rights to reproduce and
 *   distribute the article.  No material published in this journal
 *   may be translated, reproduced, photographed or stored on
 *   microfilm, in electronic databases, video disks, etc., without
 *   first obtaining written permission from CTheory.
 *   Email [log in to unmask] for more information.
 *
 *
 * Mailing address: CTHEORY, University of Victoria, PO Box 3050,
 *   Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 3P5.
 *
 * Full text and microform versions are available from UMI, Ann Arbor,
 *   Michigan; and Canadian Periodical Index/Gale Canada, Toronto.
 *
 * Indexed in: International Political Science Abstracts/
 *   Documentation politique international; Sociological Abstract
 *   Inc.; Advance Bibliography of Contents: Political Science and
 *   Government; Canadian Periodical Index; Film and Literature Index.
 *

content by the NorMAN MailScanner Service and is believed
to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information
Systems and Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html