CETIS-ACCESSIBILITY  2005

CETIS-ACCESSIBILITY 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: classifying learning objects by accessibility features?

Pete Rainger <[log in to unmask]>

CETIS-TechDis Accessibility Mailing List <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Jun 2005 13:35:32 +0100

text/plain

Sarah,

The latest version of 'accessibility metadata' for use when tagging learning
objects is the IMS ACCMD work. In particular the Access-For-All
specification the joins ACCLIP to ACCMD.

However, in terms of the UK - There is an accessibility specification that
is being supported by a UK learning object repository and that is the
'TechDis Accessibility Classification System' (developed by me a year or two
ago) - this is currently being supported by the JORUM test bed repository
and was used and investigated as part of the X4L Healthier Nation Project in
conjunction with myself and the RNCB.

I completely agree when you say we need to looking at accessibility metadata
from the UK context so that we can highlight exemplary materials that are
being developed all over the UK.

There is a real and important need to re-evaluate the use of accessibility
metadata across all the different LO repositories that are being develop
with and between institutions. I would like to see the public efforts made
to tackle this issue and try to come to a consensus as what would suit the
UK sector best. Personally I feel that some investigation (as a continuation
to my original work) is needed to implement the lessons learned from the
TechDis Accessibility Metadata Research project and look how we can work
harmoniously with the IMS Access-For-All specification.

Please feel free to get in touch with me to discuss my ideas or views
further.

Pete

Peter Rainger
Director / Senior Accessibility Consultant
Key2Access Ltd.
Accessibility and Assistive Technology Consultancy
Phone : 01273 477335
Mobile : 07900911018
VOIP (Skype) Username: key2access
Email : [log in to unmask]
Web : http://www.key2access.co.uk

Key2Access Ltd. Admin Office: Studio 3, Providence Studios, 7 Little East
Street, Lewes, BN7 2NU.