Re: Manganese in bloomery process

dillmann <[log in to unmask]>

Arch-Metals Group <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 May 2005 00:26:33 +0200

De : Arch-Metals Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de Dr.
K.K. Prasad
Envoyé : lundi 16 mai 2005 11:31
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Re: Manganese in bloomery process

***********************
The mail has been scanned for virus.
***********************

Dr. Krishna Kant Prasad (DGM, RDCIS, SAIL),
 2C/E Bel-Air Complex,
Jokhiram Durgadutt Lane,
Main Road, Ranchi-834001,
Jharkhand State, India
May 16, 2005

Dear Philippe,

I do not have direct answer to the questions you have raised, but I would
like to comment on some of the related and, I think, relevant issues.

You have stated that in the thermodynamic conditions of the shaft furnace,
manganese oxide cannot be reduced into metallic manganese. While literally
that statement is true, manganese has an opportunity to appear dissolved in
metallic iron (the two form a near ideal solid solution at low manganese
concentration) and therefore minor manganese reduction is feasible. Kinetic
factors are probably responsible for preventing this reduction process.

You have stated that you have found inclusions containing 30% MnO. This
should not be taken to mean that the ore originally had manganese in that
much amount. Since iron oxide gets reduced first, the unreduced part would
get enriched in manganese resulting in high manganese in inclusions. But,
like you have observed, hardly any manganese has ever been found - and here
I speak from my Indian experience only - in any of the "bloomery" iron of
ancient India.

India has many iron based ancient monuments with remarkable properties. The
most famous of these is the Iron Pillar of Delhi. Iron for all these
monuments and artifacts were extracted by the bloomery method (we prefer to
call it the mud- or clay-shaft process). Some of the indigenous people in
Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand States are still practicing this technique.
Studies of the products made by these people, as well as study of ancient
heritage (Delhi Pillar being one), have revealed some points of importance.

1. It was easy to make very low carbon wrought iron by such a process. While
higher carbon iron could be attempted, control of carbon was found
difficult. Large variation of carbon between subsequent heats was observed.

2. All the samples examined by us as well as those reported in literature
contained either no manganese or in traces only. One of the many reported
investigations on the Delhi Iron Pillar was carried out (in either 50's or
60's) in BISRA laboratories.

3. As there was no control over phosphorous in the process, high phosphorous
in the iron ore led to high phosphorous wrought iron. Probably such an ore
was deliberately chosen for the Delhi Pillar.

4. The Iron Pillar of Delhi was probably made by making high carbon 'blooms'
successively one over the other, and beating the freshly formed 'bloom' on
to the older layer - while keeping a split hollow cylindrical stone die
around. This way the bloom layers could be effectively welded to each outer,
but left the surface extremely rough. The erect iron mass was then taken
down, heated and rotated on a manually driven stone lathe and forged between
stone dies - much like the modern forging of railroad axles. During this
forging process the surface got heavily decarburised while the interior
remained relatively high in carbon.

5. Studies conducted by Prof. Balasubramaniam of IIT Kanpur have indicated
that a combination of extremely low mangenese and high phosphorous has
contributed to the excellent corrosion resistance of the Iron Pillar. Too
much carburisation would have had an adverse effect on this property.

On the whole, from the Indian experience, it can be concluded that since
manganese was never picked up during the bloomery process, its effect on
carburising the metal was never of any importance. As to why manganese was
not reduced - I can do no better than hold kinetic factors responsible.

Krishnakant Prasad