Re: building approvals

Flick Harris <[log in to unmask]>

Accessibuilt list <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:08:40 +0100

text/plain

Hi Helen

There may be a number of reasons from our experience.

1.  All access consultants are not working to the same standards, including
CAE accredited consultants! Our group are very keen to see more training
and "accessible" accreditation to "best practice" standards available to
all access groups

2.  A focus group is unlikely to be able to discuss all the issues or have
enough access to the designers, in my opinion. Focus groups often have
little time and even less information

3.  Also, although we can advise designers, we sometimes find that they
don't take our advice and for mainly financial reasons, go for the minimum.

4.  Many planners, who approve the size and layout of buildings, still
don't understand access issues. Similarly, neither do all Building Control
officers or Approved Inspectors who often see the plans too late or don't
identify best practice issues. There seems to be no accreditation process
for them!

5.  There may be political decisions made about budgets or designs which
can override design decisions.

I think we ought to be more public about our concerns to the ODPM to
improve the minimum access standards before there are tragedies.

Agree though about the case study! Would be interested to know about this
particular instance.

Best wishes

Flick