JiscMail Logo

Help for NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Home

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS Home

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS  2005

NATURAL-HAZARDS-DISASTERS 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Re: What went wrong with Early Warning?

Durgadas Mukhopadhyay <[log in to unmask]>

Natural hazards and disasters <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Jan 2005 06:50:20 -0800

text/plain

Dear Ben ,

Dear Philip and participants,

Lfe is cheap in the eyes of the people who are
assigned the task of disaster management. In India
which provides the scientic brain for USA, three hours
elapsed and no warning could be iddued which would
have helped thousands of lives. To cover it up a false
warning was givenwhich obstructed relief work and it
was a cruel joke. The Development Commissioner of
Andamans was holidaying in Delhi days after the
catastrophe Are they noty accountable to the
taxpayers. UNISDR gives SAKASAWA awards to such
bureacrats.
The indigenous knowledge of people living with
disasters should worked on for providing warnings,
educatin and long term measures.
Prof Durgadas Mukhopadhyay

from camp Kanyakumari, Tamilnadu,India

http://www.cdera.org/cunews/publish/article_783.shtml
> but
> >      "The availability
> >      of funding will determine how quickly such a
> system can be
> >      implemented".
> >      The cost would apparently be US$2.426 million

http://news.caribseek.com/Barbados/article_7920.shtml

=== message truncated ===