CETIS-METADATA  October 2004

CETIS-METADATA October 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Identifiers again (a global, persistent but non-unique debate)

Rob Wilson <[log in to unmask]>

Rob Wilson <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:01:51 +0100

text/plain

Folks

given that this is good and productive activity

Thanks to Dan Rehak, Andy Powell, Mike Collet, Kerry Blinco, Larry Lannom
et al.

I going to post this to the list DCMI PI and also to the CETIS Metadata
list

essentially what I see emerging is that :

1.  we agree that we consistently ouput to knwn URI syntax so that parsing
is achieved

2. that we are not happy or convinced that we have to obtain "
registered " URI status before  such are useful  : please see Kerry B'
succint comments here.

quote " > > The insistence that one can only express an
identifier/locator in one  way also frustrates me.  I should be able to
choose handle as my identification systems and resolution protocol of
choice, > express this  in the appropriate encoding for those who do have
the appropriate plug  in but be free to also express this as a less robust
http URI to the currently preferred client proxy for the others.

3. that we can give guidance and specific outline on how the varoius
schemes will encode
see Dan Reahsak commenst adn work @ the CORDRA site

4. the other issues : re browsers / look up  : I sense that you cannot be
absolute here  ,  find reason to enhance not deny usefulness of features /
benefits

And this can be for LOM / Resource purpose : terms, metadatA elements ,
records  resources etc and it should not preclude the use of ranges of ID
schemes : ARK, PURL . DOI , HDL  etc ...

Robin

CO Chair DCMI PI

Robin Wilson
TSO > London