CETIS-METADATA  August 2004

CETIS-METADATA August 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: UK LOM Core: mandatory elements (summary)

Mike Collett <[log in to unmask]>

Mike Collett <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:19:31 +0100

text/plain

I think the idea of various 'levels' of compliance with different mandatory
elements is a good one, though I would suggest a multipart specification is
better, rather than levels with each a subset of the higher level. For
example there could be a part that mandates annotations and an id.

As several people have pointed out, there is a big difference between having
the information available somewhere in a distributed model and having it in
the instance itself. For many uses the only information available may be in
the instance itself.

The purist view of only mandating the identifiers is fine if it assumes the
id will resolve to more information or a fuller metadata instance elsewhere.
So then why mandate both? The only essential thing in a distributed model
where ids resolve to further information is a meta-metadata identifier that
tells you it exists.

Cheers
Mike 7:-D
Mike Collett, Schemeta