Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Newsletter Templates

Log Out

Change Password

Call for Papers -- Sensuous Knowledge: Creating a Tradition

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:57:03 +0200

text/plain

Are you engaged in artistic research & development?

Invitation to the conference

Sensuous Knowledge:
Creating a Tradition

at Solstrand, close to Bergen, Norway, October 26-28, 2004

Bergen National Academy of the Arts - Kunsthøgskolen i Bergen
Strømgt. 1
N-5015 Bergen
Norway
+47 55587300

For at least 20 years we have now been discussing
what artistic research and development (R&D)
might be, and how much or how little it may
resemble traditional research. Many conferences
with titles like "What is artistic R&D?" have
been held, often leaving the impression of not
getting much closer to an answer. Yet all along
artists from all aesthetic fields have been
engaged in projects that might possibly be called
nothing but examples of artistic research or
development.

The aim of the conference Sensuous Knowledge:
Creating a Tradition is not that we should once
more discuss what artistic R&D is, but that we
should discuss examples of projects of various
kinds - and hopefully also yours! But you are
welcome as a participant in the conference even
if you do not want to present a project or read a
paper.

Sensuous Knowledge: Creating a Tradition is
planned as the first in a row of yearly
conferences, arranged by Bergen National Academy
of the Arts - Kunsthøgskolen i Bergen (KHiB) -
with the purpose of contributing to the creation
of a genuine tradition of artistic R&D. The
conferences will make use of the fact that we can
now point to many completed R&D projects, while
even more are going on at the moment. Such real
projects will be presented and discussed already
during this first conference, not primarily to
evaluate their individual quality, but to make us
all aware of their character and the ontological,
epistemological and methodical - and artistic -
problems to which they give rise. In this way the
conference will take a first step towards
developing a language in which we can discuss
such projects in a meaningful way, and help us to
distinguish between what is essential or of minor
importance, forceful or bland, good or less good
in this field. It is to be expected that the
presentation of examples will show how varied the
field is, and give rise to the question whether
it is at all possible to develop just one common
language for this multifariousness.

The question about the boundaries of artistic
R&D, and the way it differs from traditional
research within the Humanities (e.g. in the
history of art) or from traditional technical
development (e.g. within programming), will no
doubt also be raised. And since some institutions
of education in the arts - Bergen National
Academy of the Arts being one of them - also
teach design, the relationship between artistic
R&D and research and development in connection
with design may be expected to become part of the
agenda.

To highlight the activity in which we are
engaged, and to help us reflect on it, this first
conference will also place artistic R&D in an
historical and social context. On the one hand
the conference will be concerned with the way in
which other, but related professional traditions
have been established, not least within the
humanities and the social sciences. And on the
other hand the conference will look upon
ourselves and our actual situation and ask which
traits in society and its institutions create the
trend towards professionalization and
academization that characterizes the aesthetic
field today, and the consequences this may have
for artistic creativity, teaching and R&D.

Publications on the central issues should be one
of the results of the conferences.

The conference Sensuous Knowledge: Creating a
Tradition will aim for international participants
and English will be the main language. It will
consist of three types of activities: The keynote
speeches will focus on the philosophical, the
historic and the social framework of artistic
R&D. Some main examples of artistic R&D projects
will be presented, commented on and discussed in
plenary sessions. And we will have smaller group
meetings where participants make presentations of
their own work for comments and discussions.

The success of the conference depends to a large
degree on the participants' involvement in the
group discussions and in their willingness to
present projects - both projects that are
finished or are ongoing, and projects that so far
exist only as ideas and sketches. Each project
should be given a 20-minutes oral presentation
(preferably visualized by pictures, films,
sketches, objects etc.) in the group, but for the
organizers (KHiB) to prepare commentary and
discussion it has to be presented in writing
(preferably with illustrations), i.e. as a paper
(5-15 pages), mailed to us no later than October
1.

Details of the program, including names of the
keynote speakers, will be published early this
autumn.

Academic organizers of the conference are

Søren Kjørup, professor/R&D adviser at Bergen
National Academy of the Arts (KHiB) and professor
of theory and history of the humanities at
Roskilde University, Denmark.

Nina Malterud, ceramic artist, professor and
rector at Bergen National Academy of the Arts
(KHiB).

For further information please contact the R&D
coordinator at KHiB: Tone Lund Olsen, phone +47
55.58.73.00, e-mail