Re: Gormless, unkempt and the like...

And Rosta <[log in to unmask]>

Word Grammar <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:35:05 +0100

text/plain

Dylan:
> A) I couldn't think of any examples which aren't un-, dis- or -less.
Are
> there any with re-, in-/im-, il-/ir-, -ful, etc?

[see next para]

> B) I remember reading a poem or story which relied on using the
> unaffixed forms but can't find it anywhere - do any of you know what
it
> may have been?

Google for kempt, gruntled & you find stuff such as

Give me a lady, one that's couth,
Who putes the things I say;
      Who's gainly in the eyes of man,
      Who's imical to the things I plan,
      Who parages me whenever she can,
Who's gruntled all the day.

Give me a girl whose hair is kempt,
Whose talk is always ane;
      Who's ept at ridding home of dirt,
      Who's iquitous and not a flirt,
      Who's dignant, and whose mind is ert,
And I'll look on her with dain.

&

How I met my wife
by Jack Winter
Published 25 July 1994 - The New Yorker

It had been a rough day, so when I walked into the party I was very
chalant, despite my efforts to appear gruntled and consolate.

I was furling my wieldy umbrella for the coat check when I saw her
standing alone in a corner. She was a descript person, a woman in a
state of total array. Her hair was kempt, her clothing shevelled, and
she moved in a gainly way.

I wanted desperately to meet her, but I knew I'd have to make bones
about it since I was travelling cognito. Beknownst to me, the hostess,
whom I could see both hide and hair of, was very proper, so it would be
skin off my nose if anything bad happened. And even though I had only
swerving loyalty to her, my manners couldn't be peccable. Only toward
and heard-of behavior would do.

Fortunately, the embarrassment that my maculate appearance might cause
was evitable. There were two ways about it, but the chances that someone
as flappable as I would be ept enough to become persona grata or a sung
hero were slim. I was, after all, something to sneeze at, someone you
could easily hold a candle to, someone who usually aroused bridled
passion.

So I decided not to risk it. But then, all at once, for some apparent
reason, she looked in my direction and smiled in a way that I could make
heads and tails of.

I was plussed. It was concerting to see that she was communicado, and
it nerved me that she was interested in a pareil like me, sight seen.
Normally, I had a domitable spirit, but, being corrigible, I felt
capacitated -- as if this were something I was great shakes at -- and
forgot that I had succeeded in situations like this only a told number
of times. So, after a terminable delay, I acted with mitigated gall and
made my way through the ruly crowd with strong givings.

Nevertheless, since this was all new hat to me and I had no time to
prepare a promptu speech, I was petuous. Wanting to make only called-for
remarks, I started talking about the hors d'oeuvres, trying to abuse her
of the notion that I was sipid, and perhaps even bunk a few myths about
myself.

She responded well, and I was mayed that she considered me a savory
character who was up to some good. She told me who she was. "What a
perfect nomer," I said, advertently. The conversation become more and
more choate, and we spoke at length to much avail. But I was
defatigable, so I had to leave at a godly hour. I asked if she wanted to
come with me. To my delight, she was committal. We left the party
together and have been together ever since. I have given her my love,
and she has requited it.

--And.