THE-WORKS 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: newsub/ new leaf

Maryann Hazen Stearns <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:53:09 -0800

text/plain

Hi Colin,

This is such a fascinating read, really very interesting, and I enjoyed it
very much. It took several reads through for me to interpret all the
unusual (to me) references made, but it was well worth it!

Cheerwell, Mary :O)

--- Colin dewar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Turning over a new leaf
>

> This is the paper I used then,
> all six metres scrolled in a drawer
> with dozens more like old papyrus
> stored in the hall. The used face
> is a kymograph. Mongolian peaks in pen
> across the fine, green-squared terrain.
> It takes me back to the lab
> at St Andrews, where muscle fibres
> strained in solution, and moved mountains.
>
> The dogfish swam in a tank. Shirt off
> and up to an icy armpit in water
> I felt for sand paper skin, only
> needed a touch for a firm grip,
> the fast stick and a knife through the head,
> all done in seconds by young hands.
> A few fibres were ample, sliced
> from the side. The rest I took by bike,
> home for my tea. I envied my mate,
> who was studying cod for his PhD.
>
> Some nights I spent with the ivory lab
> coat folded for warmth, opened
> the window and leant with my head among stars,
> forgot about wind and the cycle through snow,
> alight with models, each further level
> of machine in machine of muscle moving,
> all muscle, from dogfish to me and you.
>
> No part was wasted, not time
> nor fish, nor this good paper unspooling
> from the drawer's slot, blank side up,
> pulled over desk top and down to the floor.
> No better thing than this unwritten page,
> still fit for life from another pen.
> No A4 for me with immediate end,
> but sufficient space to reflect on paper
> what seemed the same and what was different,
> then.
>

> Colin

=====
Good Cheer & Be Well,