THE-WORKS  2004

THE-WORKS 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: When Mediocrity is Found by the Side of the Road/Gary

Colin dewar <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Feb 2004 15:04:19 -0000

text/plain

Gary,

This reminds me of the quote from Arthur Koestler: Fortune favours the
prepared mind.

As for poems about poetry, I'm a moderate. They are not the acme of goodness
and nor are they minions of Lucifer. One now and then is fine, like most
things in life.

As for your poems I prefer the first one and I think that's because I've got
a sense of what it's about. Maybe that's because you said as much. Maybe
it's because I've tried a few poems myself. The second feels too general.
General can be good but in this case I have difficulty applying it to things
that matter to me. Could be my limitation. Technically, I haven't much to
say between them. Isn't it interesting, as you have demonstrated so well,
that with small changes in the right places a poem can pivot into a whole
new zone of significance?

I note typo in second version penultimate line of penultimate stanza: an/a .

Also I am intrigued by stone streaked with pyrites. I'm not sure that you
get the full impact of the metaphor here or risk tipping it the wrong way.
Iron pyrites after all is fool's gold. But a stone streaked with fool's
gold? Yes it could happen in real life. I'm not worried about that. But it
conveys something valueless shot through with something apparently valuable
but actually valueless. If you want value go for some other precious metal
or mineral - lots to choose from . If you want to convey gaudy deception
make the whole "stone" iron pyrites, I say.

BW

Colin