Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: This is the only moment

Mike Horwood <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:32:29 +0200

text/plain

> Hello Bob,
            Re. `luminescent´, here in Finland that moment between sunset and the onset of real darkness is known as `the blue moment´ ( `sininen hetki´, it sounds rather good in Finnish, but it´s out of bounds for Finnish poets nowadays, sadly, though pop singers make frequent use of it....which is why it´s out of bounds) But if my memory serves me, `blue moment´ is not a cliché in English. It might offer you an alternative, or some variation on it, in place of `luminescent´, which I have recently seen on one of those lists of `banned´ words along with lozenge, shard, dappled, heron, blood (ye gods!) and moist surprisingly. There are a lot of people in That sceptered isle who don´t know that `moist´ is over-poetic. They think it means a little bit wet.

Best wishes,   Mike