THE-WORKS  2004

THE-WORKS 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New Sub: Solstice Triptych ( slightly retooled)/Bob/Arthur

Colin dewar <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:42:49 -0000

text/plain

Bob,

You can of course buy honey of varying viscosity depending on whether
pouring or spreading is the object or vary the viscosity by changing the
temperature, e.g. by storing in the fridge or giving it a quick blast in the
micro just before you pour it out. One of my favourites is to make popcorn
and then...

Anyway, the use of the word "drizzle" is interesting in that context. In
other parts of the Anglophone diaspora, it is the specific word used for the
application of a single long strand of honey teased in an artistic line
across the surface of the soon-to-be eaten. However for me, it makes me
think of the weather, as in, "You won't need an umbrella; it's only
drizzling." This then raises the question of what word I might use for
teasing out of a single long strand of honey in a pencil-thin line. Not sure
that I can think of one, less so one that assonates as well in A's poem.
What about spun? - though that might necessitate changing spin to "come"
(possibly more clumsy and vague) a few lines further on.

Nice to see rarely used words like "fulgent" getting a run for their money
in this poem.

Colin,
who also takes a while to get going in the morning