THE-WORKS  2004

THE-WORKS 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New Sub: Tales at my Mother's knee No.4 ( Sally J)

Arthur Seeley <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:03:17 +0100

text/plain

Thanks and I am glad you like it. I have the painting referred to in the
piece. I have mentioned elsewhere that I am collecting these for my
grandchildren. The oral arts of storytelling fades I fear and these tales
are part of our family's mythology. having said that they are as true as
when told to me many years ago. As to their exact truth, well.... I went
with my brother to the old tea rooms, at Ogden Water,  this summer and
actually met the man, very old man, who bought the place from my great
grandad, he took us to the mound and said he never knew who was there but
the bitten post is still there as Is Jerry's stable. We found the house
where my mother was born.I have a picture of my grandad with his father and
mother and Rufus sat on Jerry outsdie the tearooms. My grandmother is off to
one side and she is a young wife and pregnant with my mum. Grandma was the
first person I saw dead. We buried her in a graveyard just over from Ogden
Water. The church is now flats and the graveyard overgrown. I am subbing a
poem apart from this which refers to that death and that time. I had been
eating an orange when I went to see her body and my hands were smelling of
zest. I have always associated ornges with death since that time.
I have not really considered the Yorkshire dialect society but a friend of
mine is a member so I might just. Again I am glad you enjoyed the tale.