Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Hints on poetry readings

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:46:34 +0000

text/plain

Hi Matt,
And another two-penn'th...
When doing a reading I always try to start with a poem that I know I can
read well. Then if I'm very nervous beforehand I'm starting with something
that boosts my confidence!
I sometimes stick post-it notes in the book I'm reading from, or scribble on
the sheets of paper, such things as "smile!" and "check how the time's
going!" and "take a deep breath before you start this one."
At readings the relationship between the poem and the poet changes. I mean I
can go to a readings where I've read the poets work, perhaps in a book, but
never met the person. After I've heard them read, the poems I've read and
then heard seem to change. It's complex: poems as sound and poems as read
silently... I sometimes find subtle rhythms - subtle inflections of meaning
- in my own poems that I wasn't aware of until I took the piece to the front
of a room.
I also try to make sure I don't read too many longish poems one after
another - maybe include two or three very short pieces one after another,
where they need less than a phrase to introduce each one. By "longish" I
mean a sonnet (which, at a reading feels really full and rich to hear) and
"short" can be 4, 5, or 6 lines.
And I always time myself at home - the whole reading including the links -
to make sure I don't take far more time than I've been allocated! Ha! Then
I've sometimes quietly said to the organiser, after I've done my spot,
"Sorry, you said 10 minutes, I over-ran by 30 seconds!" (There's some poets
I've read alongside who think 10 minutes is almost half-an-hour - and if
there's a beer-break coming up the audience get restless!).
And I feel there's a difference between a poetry reading and a poetry
recital. The word reading seems more relaxed.
Bob

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger