THE-WORKS  2004

THE-WORKS 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Shore Gooseberries ; Christina's objection

grasshopper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:09:00 +0100

text/plain

Dear Bob,
 I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your comment. The question of
using 'old-fashioned' language is one that often comes up on the formal
boards I use. The trouble is that a lot of people think a sort of
cod-Elizabethan is the right voice for a sonnet.
I confess I prefer a poet to use a contemporary voice, unless, of course,
the 'archaic' tone serves a definite purpose - other than sounding 'quaint',
as if 'quaint=poetic'
I'm sure Sally doesn't share this view, and feels there is more
justification for using old-fashioned phrasing. As she says, she, as author,
can write how she chooses, but the reader can, of course, respond as the
poem strikes him/her.
Personally, unless a poem is set in the past, or about some subject
contemporary to the voice chosen, I think it is very difficult to avoid the
impression that the poet is using a special Poetickal voice, which can be
very off-putting.
If we don't assume an 'antique' voice to express ourselves when writing
prose, why should we do so when writing poetry?
Kind regards,
    grasshopper