Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: newsub/containment

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:08:03 +0000

text/plain

Hi Colin,
Now here's an interesting narrative!
I guess, because it's contrasting two characters, it's got a lot of
short-story features as well as poetry features in it. I keep wondering,
therefore, if it could work as a better narrative in a short-story format. I
don't know. All I do know is the John character comes across so strongly in
a poem that seems to want to say, "Hey, I'm really about Tim!" A story may
allow more freedom of plot, more space and flexibility... and the poetic
elements - the use of images as metaphors for possibly abstract things -
needn't be lost, they can still work.
Once or twice when I've read it I've thought: "Is this stanza about Tim?"
and had to interrupt my reading to reassure myself that I'm still on the
right track.
As a poem, therefore, I feel there's something not yet right...
I think I get confused because each of them get mentioned equally at the
start. So it could be that the first stanza's not setting the tone well
enough! If both of them wern't mentioned there then the whole focus of the
poem might help us see things more clearly from one person's point of view.
And is the word "escape" a euphamism for "being released"? Even if both get
mentioned in the first stanza it might be that we need to see much more of
Tim before we get any images or details about John.
I guess I'm saying I'd try to solve the point of view issue in the first
stanza, then see if that makes for any other differences in what happens
after...
Bob
Who's got no problem with the name of the place: Barlinnie. After all it's
almost as famous as Alcatraz, as famous as Wormwood Scrubs, isn't it? And
it's a great sounding name...
But I'm thinking John and Tim are rather tame names... wouldn't guys in
Barlinnie - even if they turned up with a name like Tim - get some other
sound attached to them? (One-syllable names are just asking for extras...)

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger