Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: newsub/containment/Sally

hui dewar <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:21:13 +0100

text/plain

Sally,

Glad that you have found something in it and thanks for passing that on,
along with some reservations. I suppose Tim is an anxious person -he feels
anxious about the world and his place in it- and some of his anxiety about
the world is contained ( and hence made manageable through the containment
of violent people like John). Then there is the self-containment you
mentioned. However John is uncontained in his own right (even more so than
Tim) and seeks containment and in the poem achieves this in a dysfunctional
way rather than some of the more functional routes employed by the rest of
the population, such as the various institutions of work. When I wrote the
poem I wondered if the existence of prisons for many people is profoundly
reassuring, over and above a slight lessening of the number of dangerous
people on the streets, by providing a walling off of aspects of existence
that they would rather not deal with.

Now you are right that: "The DT's had gone
> >and he'd only hurt his hand when he lashed out." isn't satisfactory. I
guess what I was hoping to do in this line was suggest that John's life had
indeed become less out of control as a result of his imprisonment - and that
at some level John appreciated this - if only because it provided a degree
of control that he was not able to bring about for himself. Any thoughts on
how that might be clarified? If not it doesn't matter. DT's is short for
Delirium Tremens and suggests a fairly heavy withdrawal from alcohol which
in turn suggests that among other things this fellow was drinking far too
much (i.e. also out of control) and "only hurt his hand... " suggests that
he hit people, possibly loved people, without any ability to control himself
,to the extent that it seemed better just to be locked up.

Colin