Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Frank and Ted - Frank to Bob

Sally Evans <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:58:33 +0100

text/plain

Dear Frank,

we are not talking about conscious imitative work! We are talking about
reading a poet whose work affects us so much that our own work begins to
reflect their styles... and learning from that to write better, with a more
varied range of language tools at our disposal.

I agree that the spoken word has many advantages over the written word,
specially when you can get to hear the best poets in person. But what about
when you want to remember the work accurately?  When you want to go over it
again? When the writer is dead? perhaps you think disparagingly of "dead
white European" writing as the phrase goes; but writing brings us what used
to be in the world as well as what is in it now, and that's of some
importance in the long run!
bw
SallyE