Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

The Map E-Zine

Ryfkah * <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:59:18 EDT

text/plain

Map of Austin Poetry #301-1

Featured Poetry Supplement

Theme: Take Me Out To The Ball Game

Upcoming Themes:

#301-4 Money

Send poems to [log in to unmask] in body of e mail, left justified. No

fancy fonts or colors, please. No attachments. On subject line, note

the issue number and theme. Include permission to publish and

attestation of authorship. Poets retain all rights.

Batters up to the plate for this issue:

1.  Baseball by Margaret Ellis Hill

2.  Arrived by James M. Thompson

3.  Chemical Reactions by Michael Levy.

4.  Rain Check by Gary Mex Glazner

5.  saturday arc by Lynze

6.  Outfield by Ryfkah

7.  At the Old Ballgame by P.T. Paul

8.  In Reserve by Mike Gullickson

1.  Baseball by Peg Hill

The bat connected; sound

surfaced near Orion's sword, sailed

night right into rings of Saturn.

He had studied cliffs of air, curved

drifts, the angle of mirrors and wood.

Had scrutinized glowing orbs,

tantalizing treks through cradled pits,

and pock marks, drew

colors' kaleidoscopic circles.

No glass house for this display,

no dusty spectator in the bleachers,

she kept gently rolling in his hands,

and smiled as he walked out to the mound

to deliver his first pitch.

© 2003 Margaret Ellis Hill

published in The Rattlesnake Review, March, 2004

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2.  Arrived by James M. Thompson

Cable ready

for the stats on ESPN

the long lists

winners, losers

averages, earned runs

strikeouts and more

a game in numbers

under the diamond

sparkling trends

and the lucky socks

rally hats, chickens

all tumbled

in long afternoons

and remembering

a doubleheader with dad

Sam McDowell

and the Indians

and a triple-play

against the Senators

when baseball was played

in DC

and winning or losing

was not as important

as being there

in the sun

with dad.

© 2004 James M. Thompson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3.  Chemical Reactions by Michael Levy.

Red eye special ... east to west

Wish-filled carriage

Non-stop to the gamblers holy grail

Viva Las Vagueness

Zealous embryonic touch down..

Gratis wielded stretch limo....

Travel as the crow flies

Enter the magical game-dome

Uncertainty spins the wheel of fortune

God-like temple of pleasure

Forty-eight hours without sleep

Sacred Mecca of decadence

Mechanical atomic robots......

Play less mechanical machines

Magnesium of speculation.......

The grand phosphorous lure of chance

Diamond card nitrate players

Savor the pull of sulfuric greed

Whimsical magnetic cosmic money

floats into omnipresent  fantasy vaults

Figments in a wampum tomb.

©  2004 Michael Levy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4.  Rain Check by Gary Mex Glazner

The streets fill with blue and red game colors.

The Cubs are in town! Programs get your programs.

Sammy Sosa hits a home run...

Then the drizzle starts. The umps call time out,

25 guys dressed in identical blue outfits

roll out an immense sheet of matching blue plastic.

The downpour stops. Here comes blue crew

pulling away the safety skin revealing the diamond.

Then a cloudburst so hard, devotees begin to scream catastrophe.

Hey everybody, since the games rained out

lets go to the new Contemporary Art Museum,

Slowly the cheer builds: Art! Art!  Art for Arts sake!!

The stadium empties, led by a crew of one hundred docents,

the mob marches to the minty-fresh art pagoda.

First we stop at the giant bat sculpture

in front of the Social Security building, dance an anti-rain dance.

Ron Santo is a monk in the abbey near the Sears Tower.

He takes a break from praying to lead us through the maze

of collected baubles. A huge gold ball sits in the lobby.

The fans hit it with tiny bats.

Ernie Banks speaks of the artistic and erotic

inspiration he derives from pouring Neats foot oil into

Michelangelo's left handed first baseman's mitt.

Conveying the ecstasy of the double play,

as a sexual/emotional, popcorn, peanuts, beer here!

"Play Ball!", using a pile of red plastic objects for the mound

and cubist paintings for the bases.

The museum comes alive with rapture.

Cubs fans waving impressionist flags.

Banks slides into a Picasso, "safe!"

The ultimate rapture experience is hitting a home run

followed by death. "Going, going, gone."

In the tomb of the dugout a black hole divides

the dead from the mourners. The living from the beyond.

Step up to the plate dig cleats in.

Elbow up, here comes the pitch,

start swinging, wood solid contact.

Line drive falling safely on the cemetery grass.

If you were in Chicago that day, headed for Paris,

delayed by the record storm, you missed your connection,

missed TWA Flight 800.

Missed the exploding ball of hatred or error.

Here is your rain check.

© 2004 Gary Mex Glazner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5.  saturday arc by Lynze

the ballfield rolls up on the edges

blue sky, red uniforms, green & orange fields

all tinged with sepia,it's tournament day -

jousting with sticks and tones and stones and minimal

armour. i know every baseball poem

has been written i know every game's been played.

so? not this one, not yet.

i keep telling people baseball's like poetry.

if they don't get it, that's not my problem, is it?

the home team's cheered and oh say can u see

to the memorial of war which flies in the baybreeze

like a video on tv,

the boys stand with hats in hands over hearts

as if this means

something, as if there is still something

salvageable in this country,

the batcrack the glovesmack

advancing in a diamond within an arc

while overhead the sun shines hard on all of it

the boys sweat and slide

glide to bases steal with pride

they're losing, our

team, the score's a jillion to one.

anything can happen in baseball

anything, if you can just

keep in the game. but there are

mercy killings. the boyz

in the dugout, they're still talkin

comeback ,planning strategies

against the fourth string pitcher

on the winning team, the team with faceguards

and serious about ball fathers

in serious about ball

leagues. three- million- per- game incubators.

justin sez  "he's gonna

commit suicide" points

at the pitcher who slams a fastball

high outside "he's gonna get injured

and disappoint his dad's dream"

on davis island, the wind picks up

the flag waves north, towards

cultured lawns of townhomes ,

if you build it they will play fundrasiers

the tan and fit mothers, hair breezy blonde,

capris by monet, the docker's dads & polo shirts

shiney eyed shiney red white blue stars

with the players names

across the bleachers overachieving support

from red white n blue SUV drivers

against a sandlot champion team

who had a lotta fun this season

playing ball like a flock of cardinals

chasing each other when no one's it.

© 2004 Lynze

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6.  Outfield by Ryfkah

He preaches in forked tongues

a slinking serpent wrapped

around her heart

Play ball

blares across satellite dish

The Angels play the White Sox

She weeps

a broken doll whose eyes

turn in and arms swing limp

Bases loaded at the top of the Fourth

A grand slam

The fans cheer

A life to divide

She thinks about their season's

tickets  Something to fight about

Smirking

© 2004 Ryfkah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7.  At the Old Ballgame by P.T. Paul

"Come on down to Birmingham,

Come on down to Birmingham…"

Tuxedo Junction crooned to the crack

    of a Louisville Slugger

as the right fielder hoofed it

    in the bright June sunshine -

over the Burma Shave sign…and gone.

Sloss Industries still trailed by three

and U.S. Steel would not give it up,

but the pups were hot and the beer ice cold.

"Fire" Trucks was there, signing score cards and balls,

and, sitting right in front of us,

Joe Weaver ate a snow cone.

"Excuse me, Sir… Mr. Weaver, can I have your autograph?"

His smile stretched the leather of his cheeks,

    but the hand he held out did not falter.

"What was it like? Back then? Did U.S. Steel really win?"

Just a blink and the smile faded.

"That was a long time ago, you know?

A lot has happened since then…"

You could read it in his face, like a roadmap of history;

World War II, the Great Depression,

memories of losses too great to comprehend…

so you let it go -  "Like they say,

it's not really about whether you win…"

"That's right…" he nods, and turns back to the field

where young men wear his uniform and run his bases -

and he smiles, again.

That's how you play the game.

© 2004 PTPaul

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8.  In Reserve by Mike Gullickson

" I think I have something left"

I tell THE MANAGER,

although my arm aches

as if I had hauled a wheelbarrow

full of rocks

up Spyglass Hill,

as if I had bowled with a five hundred pound ball,

as if I had raised my fist in the air

too many times.

This afternoon I hold the ball...

two outs and a full count

the bases loaded

I am just one run in front.

I feel the seams , try to dig my thumb

into the hide

hoping to bend the air

to suit the pitch.

I watch the batter take practice swings

measuring my delivery, measuring my stance

sure that today it is his turn

to be a hero, his turn to meet the ball

in a defining moment.

I think of how many times