Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: New sub: The Truth about Angels

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 May 2004 09:55:59 +0000

text/plain

Hi grasshopper,
The first time I read this I wanted to stop at the end of the penultimate
verse. I also felt the repetead lines/phrases distracting...
But each other time I've read it I've got more used to what it's doing - and
how it's doing it. It seems a poem that needs a second reading to adjust to
how it's working (no bad thing in my opinion for a poem!).
I guess the repeated phrases/lines are risky... but I'm thinking this poem
wouldn't work as well by finding alternative words/phrases all the time. I'm
thinking how the repetitions work alongside the contrasts with "soft
phrases" and "harsh phrases" that the poem has.
A quibble: I'm disappointed by the cats! Between vultures and burning (like
tygers?) with light, their noise seems a tad too tame to me. (OK, I know
each cat puts his or her whole heart and soul into their yowl, their "gimmie
food" call, but this poem's grown so big by the time they get mentioned...)
But I like the way you've handled your subject. Rilke's angels were pretty
scarey creatures too, and the Gateshead Angel is so awesomely huge and
powerful, and I guess the culture they got imported from had as tough, or
maybe a lot tougher, an appreciation of them as you're giving here!
Bob