Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: biligual poem

Sally Evans <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 May 2004 08:27:33 +0100

text/plain

Yes, Breton, Cornish, Manx (practically lost), Welsh,  irish gaelic and
Scottish gaelic are all in the same family. The infuriating thing about
gaelic is the difficult orthography, meaning it annot be sight read without
a lot of preparation, and equally people who can speak it often cannot read
and write it. Welsh has such a simple phoonetic spelling system by
comparison, and that makes all the differencei in the ease of learning.
I think   "I am" phrases do come out in a chant form, much as Spanish and
Italian phrases suit street demo chants.