Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Two Poems to chose from (Bob)

Helen Clare <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 13:49:53 -0000

text/plain

Hi Bob
Yeah, yeah! I'm not going to be making any decisions on this in isolation or
alone.
I guess the root problem is I'm not entirely happy with either poem - the
first maybe lacking depth, the second not ringing quite true. They are both
around 3 years old by now.
You maybe right about pitons - although my ex-husband - on his return from
either the Himalaya or the Alps on the occasion of this particular poem,
certainly carried and used them. Perhaps more for ice? I'm not sure... and
not planning to ask him!
I'm sure you see why I'm avoiding the term 'crabs' given the sexual
connotations of the rest of the line....but there may be something better
than pitons and for the life of me I can't remember what I intended with
"clips".
If you are belaying someone from the top of a climb - which is the
particular memory that I keyed into here, you draw rope in and the pile of
rope does grow. But I'm still sure thickens is wrong, because its more of a
random heaping. And perhaps this not the most obvious situation that occurs
to the reader. Maybe also some metaphorical mileage in the rope depleting (I
certainly came to the end of mine!)
In the end I'm sure one of us or both of us together will suddenly see the
place for one or both of these poems. But in the meantime it helps to get me
thinking about them again.
Thanks
Helen