Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Two Poems to chose from.

Mike Horwood <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:27:33 +0200

text/plain

> Hello Helen,
              I´m going to offer my comments without looking at what others have said. That´s because it´s so difficult not to be influenced even if one tries not to be. I mention it so that you will know that whether I´m repeating points that others have mentioned, or whether I´m going completely against the flow of opinion, it´s anyway a `pure´ opinion.
First, I have to say that I think both of these are really fine poems and I would be very hesitant about trying to judge one as better than the other. Since you want us to select a favourite, I would go for the first, Anchor Point. Briefly, I prefer it because there is less detailed description. Belay includes rather a lot of description of the rope and some aspects of climbing that I feel come between the reader and the experience of reading the poem. I can very easily believe that this is a purely subjective reaction, and I think that the section of Belay near the end which describes the experiences of the narrator holding the rope on a climbing expedition and feeling the jolt of the climber´s  slip, all of that has great immediacy and power. What slows Belay down a bit for me is the close-up description of the grit and grime in the strands of the rope interweaved with the development of the scene upstairs in the bathroom. It came over as a bit pedantic, all that explaining.

 Anchor Point feels much more pared down and lean. It´s  not so clogged up with details that distract my attention as I´m reading. Also, I didn´t connect, on a first reading, the subject of the poem specifically with rock climbing. I had a geographical sense of ´point´ in my mind, as the name of a headland. The `return from the rock´ didn´t dispell that sense so I read the poem imagining just that the man came back late from a trip to some rocky coastline. I think the description of the coldness between the couple is extremely well and economically realised. The final stanza is very powerful, more so, I felt, than the ending of Belay. Again, I didn´t connect it necessarily with rock climbing. The rope whirring through metal could be some sort of pulley, or a boat insecurely moored to a buoy or jetty, for example. I think I found the less specific quality of Anchor Point an advantage because I was less distracted by `real life´ details. There´s also, of course, much more focus on the relationship between the couple.

So, that´s what I think. I hope it´s useful, even if it´s a very subjective and impressionistic reaction. It may well be that the reasons I have given for not preferring Belay may appeal to another reader as precisely the reason for preferring it. I don´t envy you having to make the final choice. Now I´m going to see what others have said.

best wishes,   Mike