PHD-DESIGN  2004

PHD-DESIGN 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Theories of design cognition, perception, sensory-motor etc

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:59:00 +0000

text/plain

Hi Klaus,

Sorry about the delay in responding. I'm now back on-line for a while  thanks to Carlos,  Eduardo and Victor and all the wonderful people at IADE/UNIDCOM in Lisboa.

I think we go different ways on the theory issue. For me the central issue in  'what is a theory' is about theory being a representation in a formal language that is chosen/defined/designed so that tightly defined operations on theory objects as codified in that language are changed in ways that represent real world changes  in the real world object being represented. This depends on three mappings:

1. Real world situation A -> theory representation A' in formal language

2. Real world change  X -> formally defined operation X' in formal language on theory representation A'  resulting in theory represntation B'

3.  Theory representation B' -> Real world situation B

The evidence issue is secondary. For me, the above is the central issue regarding 'whgat is a theory'. The matter of evidence simply gives an idea of the quality of the process, i.e. whether  the formal representations and the definition of the operation X' adequately represent the real world change. In short form, how closely B' is to B.

It is not necessary for the operation X' to be particularly deterministic or singular, although traditional simplistic uses of theory assume application of theory operations will provide a single unique answer - a bit like what is expected in the answers to early school maths questions. In relaity most useful theory representatins are much less specific: e.g.,  theories about body behaviour of use in optimising sports outcomes;  theories used in improiving the behaviour of complex systems; and theories aimed at prediucting what happens in changing marketing promotions.

Seeing theory in this way means it is straightforward making theory representations about human activities like designing where the outcome is not known or not specifically predictable. Theorymaking is much easier if it centres round the biological processes that are the human basis of the operationalisation of design-focused cognition, affects and behaviours. My experience and analyses show theorymaking to be very difficult and perhaps impossible if attempts to make theory about designing focus specifically on properties of the designed objects, or properties of the design problem, or the design process, or the content of the thoughts or feelings of the designer, or the expression of their emotions.

I suspect the above factors underpin in a roundabout way  why you come to the conclusion that design activity cannot be theorised about.

I suggest that moving to a representational viewpoint based on the biological basis for human design activity and moving  away from a purely social constructivist position addresses most of the problems and in a helpful fashion. This gives a primary basis of design theorymaking. It seems to me that it is after this that  social constructivist perspectives are necessary  to provide the explanation of how many learnt cognitively and  emotionally-based  phenomena come to be.

All the best from here in noisy late night Lisboa,  waiting for the weekend.

Terry

===
Dr. Terence Love
Dept of Design