Re: more west coast position listings

Naomi Spellman <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:46:09 -0700

text/plain

job listings, exceptionally good teaching environments, in san diego and
washington state:

The Department of Communication at the University California, San Diego

(www.communication.ucsd.edu) seeks to fill four positions to begin July

1, 2005.  Two positions are in the area of communication technologies;

two positions are in media studies and studies of expressive

culture/performance. Rank of each position within the areas will be

determined by skills and qualifications.

1. Digital Media Production and Theory. The Department seeks a

professor, strongly preferred at the assistant or early associate level,

who is a creative producer/scholar in digital media arts with a strong

background in critical studies and who can work with a faculty that

spans the social sciences, humanities, and the arts. Specialization

areas may include but are not limited to: net art, net radio, electronic

performance, interactive installation, electronic curating, computer

music, digital sound, robotics, architectural design; conceptual or

public media art, and transitions between old and new media forms. We

seek applicants who are engaged with digital media scholarship and who

are qualified to teach at the graduate level and in areas of the

curriculum beyond production. Candidates should hold a PhD, MFA or

equivalent qualifications and have a strong exhibition record and

demonstrated potential for teaching excellence. (Additional sites that

may be of interest: http://crca.ucsd.edu; http://www.calit2.net/,

http://www.activistsandiego.org/, http://www.mediaartscenter.org/).

2. Critical Studies of Communication Technologies. The Department seeks

a professor, strongly preferred at the associate or full level, with a

national and international reputation in research and demonstrated

graduate and undergraduate teaching strengths. Research and teaching

areas may include but are not limited to the study of human-technology

interfaces; technologies of information, communication, cognition, body,

and language; and technologically supported networks in institutions,

workplaces, environments, or social movements. We seek applicants whose

work considers one or more of the following: gender, race, cultural

identity, ability, globalization, and development. The appointee may be

affiliated with UCSD's graduate Science Studies Program

(www.sciencestudies.ucsd.edu). (Additional site that may be of interest:

http://www.calit2.net/).

3. Media Studies. The Department seeks a professor, strongly preferred

at the assistant or early associate level, in media studies. Research

and teaching areas may include the analysis of media culture, history,

industries and production processes and/or audiences, especially but not

necessarily limited to a focus on television and film.

4. Expressive Culture and Performance. The Department seeks a professor,

strongly preferred at the assistant or early associate level, who works

on various forms of expressive culture and/or performance. Particular

foci might include discourse, language and social interaction; everyday

forms of communal expression and citizenship; drama in a dramatized

society; rituals, festivals, and commemorations; cultural tourism and

transnational networks; performances of identities/identifications; and

resistance/domination through ritual/art/performance.

Send vita, statement of research and teaching interests, one work sample

(a single publication or media work), home page URL, and contact

information for three references by October 30, 2004 (late applications

will be accepted).

For positions 1 and 2, send to Professor Lisa Cartwright.

For positions 3 and 4, send to Professor Dan Hallin.

Department of Communication (0503)

University of California at San Diego

9500 Gilman Drive

La Jolla CA 92093-0503

Salaries are in accordance with UC pay scales.  UCSD is an equal

opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through

diversity. Applicants are invited to preview campus diversity resources

and programs at the campus website for Diversity

(http://diversity.ucsd.edu/). To assist applicants who may have an

interest in employment opportunities for spouses/partners, consult the

UCSD Academic Job Opportunities Bulletin

(http://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/offices/aaa/recruitment/), the Staff

Employment Opportunity Bulletin (http://joblink.ucsd.edu/) or our links

to employment opportunities at other education and research institutions

in San Diego (http://www.ucsd.edu/sandiego.html).

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

From: Ruth Hayes [mailto:[log in to unmask]]Sent: Thursday, August 26,
2004 11:04 AMSubject: Regular Faculty Position at the Evergreen State
College

Regular Faculty Position at the Evergreen State College, Olympia,
WADigital MediaThe Evergreen State College seeks a Media Artist with
demonstratedteaching experience in both digital moving image technologies,
andcultural and critical theories of media. The candidate should
havestrong digital filmmaking skills and experience in at least two of
thefollowing: sound design, interactive media/web design,
animation,digital photography or multimedia performance and
installation.Other skills necessary to this position include the capacity
to workeffectively with students on writing, the ability to teach
criticalmedia theory, visual literacy and media literacy in an
interdisciplinarycontext, and critical expertise in multicultural media
arts (such asAfrican American media, Native American media, global media
activism,etc). This position is designed for a working artist and teacher
with atleast an MA (MFA preferred), and an active exhibition record. We
arespecifically looking for someone who values teaching that links
mediatheory and practice in intensive, team-taught,
interdisciplinarysettings.This is a Regular Faculty position, eligible for
continuing appointmentafter two, three-year renewable contracts.For more
information on our Expressive Arts Program, review our websiteat
<http://www.evergreen.edu/catalog/expmore.htm>Review of complete files
starts November 19, 2004.

--
34n118w.net