Re: NEJM and IP Recognition

"RICHARDSON, Andy" <[log in to unmask]>

RICHARDSON, Andy

Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:06:31 -0000

text/plain

Just had an interesting conversation with Mark Danderson at NEJM, mainly on the technical problems with the Highwire version of NEJM, where it is a multi-access resource (you get extra bits like exam papers if you are an American subscriber). These resources would be more easily disabled with IP address access apparently. With Athens you would keep getting enter username and password in a never-ending circle if you strayed into areas you weren't enabled for... so he's going off to think about that one.

I had pointed out the way we wished deliver journals in the NHS was primarily through the web, rather than restrictive IP networks and he understood a little more about the beast that is the NHS network and why we want to avoid IP address restrictions. I also pointed out the problem of paying $16k per WDC for what amounts to the last three months of the journal would not make economic sense to a lot of people, especially as most libraries still buy the print version anyway.

He promises to contact Scott for some more meaningful pricing and networking conversations... sorry Scott...

Regards,

Andy

Andy Richardson
Electronic Services Manager
electronic Knowledge Access Team   eKAT
London Health Libraries
20, Guilford St
London WC1N 1DZ
tel. 0207 692 3388
mobile 07739303494
Weblog :  http://andyrffc.blogspot.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of RICHARDSON, Andy
Sent: 24 November 2004 16:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: NEJM and IP Recognition

Thanks for this.

I've just spelt out the NHS England delivery of electronic Journals to NEJM, because I'd had a couple of queries from London librarians asking whether or not I knew about this or whether or not it was a possible buy for National Core Content.

It is blatantly obvious the NEJM has not consulted anyone within the NHS - despite them having a nine member library advisory board. Scott hasn't been approached and I know I haven't in London. Working on their prices $80k for London for one journal (where we have an electronic version - admittedly 3 months later) would be laughed out of court!