HEACADEMY-GENERAL  2004

HEACADEMY-GENERAL 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

New HE publications: 'Active learning' and 'Learning Experiences of Disabled Students'

"HEALEY, Mick" <[log in to unmask]>

HEALEY, Mick

Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:40:56 +0100

text/plain

New HE publications: 'Active learning' and 'Learning Experiences of Disabled Students'

Apologies for cross posting.  Please forward to other appropriate lists

Two new publications, available on line and for ordering as hard copies, have just been published by the Geography Discipline Network.  Both focus on geography, environment and related disciplines, but they should be useful to academic/ educational developers and university teachers/ faculty in a wide range of subjects, particularly in the UK, North America and Australasia.  The second publication should also be of interest to disability advisers.

Engaging students in active learning: case studies in geography, environment and related disciplines, Cheltenham: University of Gloucestershire, Geography Discipline Network and School of Environment (Healey M and Roberts J Eds) 140pp (ISBN: 1 86174 145 6).  Available at: www.glos.ac.uk/gdn/active/student.htm £7 plus p&p

This publication contains an introduction and twenty seven examples of active learning (i.e. learning by thinking, doing and reflecting), which are used in the School of Environment (SoE) and related schools at the University of Gloucestershire.  A preface is co-written by Sir Ron Cooke, Chair of JISC, past Chair of HEFCE's Teaching and Learning Committee, and past President of the Royal Geographical Society with the Institute of British Geographers, in which he refers to active learning as the 'magic in the classroom'.

The book arises from a 'swap shop' workshop held in the School of Environment in January 2004.  The engagement of students in active learning is a key feature of the geography, environment and related disciplines at the University of Gloucestershire.  The intention of the workshop was to take stock of the wide range of forms of active learning which occur in courses and to provide an opportunity for staff to exchange and reflect on their experiences.  So much excitement was engendered by the event that we decided to put the case studies together as a book.

The key audience for the book is our colleagues in geography, environment and related disciplines, such as community development, ecology, landscape architecture, planning and tourism.  However, many of the case studies, particularly those concerned with key skills and improving students' performance at assessment, are transferable to other disciplines.  They are especially useful for illustrating workshops on a range of topics featuring aspects of active learning.  Sufficient detail has been included for the reader to see how the ideas have been applied in practice.  Contact details of the innovators are given at the end of each case study, so that further information may be sought.

Reviews
I think it is really excellent and the 'swap shop' layout will make it very useable.  I think this book should be given to all new lecturers in our disciplines.
Jenny Blumhof, Senior Advisor for Environmental Sciences, LTSN Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences

This collection will be a highly useful resource for new and experienced teachers in geography and related fields.  I plan to use it with early career colleagues in the summer program of the Geography Faculty Development Alliance in the US.  I like the range, conciseness, and comments on effectiveness as well as on difficulties that can arise.
Jan Monk, Professor of Geography, University of Arizona

This booklet is invaluable at a variety of levels.  Centrally it makes explicit how staff in these disciplines can give substance to ensuring that students are 'active learners.'  There is a wealth of brief practical suggestions for staff to adapt to their own practice.   What it also demonstrates is a way of building support inside a department for sharing and embedding good practice through a sharing of effective practice: in this case about active learning; but you could adapt it to other practices you value - even didactic teaching!
Alan Jenkins, Professor of Higher Education, Oxford Brookes University

The experience of learning at university by disabled students in geography, earth and environmental sciences and related disciplines: a report on the Geography Discipline Network (GDN) Inclusive Curriculum Project (ICP) Student Survey. Cheltenham: University of Gloucestershire, Geography Discipline Network (Hall, T and Healey M with other members of the GDN ICP Project Team) 32pp (ISBN: 1 86174 146 4) Available at: www.glos.ac.uk/gdn/icp/survey.htm £3.50 plus p&p

This report analyses the findings from the first ever survey of disabled students in geography, earth and environmental sciences and related disciplines.  It focuses on the experiences of 80 disabled students from six different universities of teaching, learning and assessment.  By giving this group a voice this report aims to contribute to their empowerment.  The report is one of the first outputs from the Inclusive Curriculum Project funded by the HEFCE Improving Provision for Disabled Students Programme.

Perhaps the most surprising finding is that, with the exception of lectures, over half the disabled students, and often as many as three-quarters of them, have not experienced disability-related barriers with different forms of teaching and learning.  Even during fieldtrips, where it might be expected that the barriers to learning would be highest, only one in five disabled students reported they had experienced difficulties.  However, the proportion doubled to slightly over two in every five disabled students in independent fieldwork (e.g. researching for an assignment or dissertation).  Assessment generally caused the respondents greater problems, with between 37% and 63% reporting difficulties with various forms.

These findings suggest that using a general category entitled 'disabled students' is problematic and devising general policies to support their teaching, learning and assessment may not always meet the specific needs of individuals.  Arguably, in the long run the main beneficiaries of disability legislation and the need to make suitable adjustments in advance are the non-disabled students, because many of the adjustments, such as well prepared handouts, instructions given in writing as well as verbally, notes put on-line, and variety and flexibility in forms of assessment, are simply good teaching and learning practices which will benefit all students.

Reviews of previous GDN Publications

GDN guides on 'Good Teaching, Learning and Assessment Practices in Geography'
"This is the most comprehensive series about the teaching of a discipline I have ever encountered and provides a model for how academics can share both theory and practice about the teaching of their subject.  I have drawn on geography examples in these materials in my work just as the geographers have drawn on generic writing in their work.  It is particularly valuable to see how generic ideas are adapted and applied in specific contexts and how this adaptation enriches and fills out the generic ideas.  The publications are clearly and attractively presented.  I defy anyone not to find something new and useful.  I'd like to see other disciplines attempt a series of publications like this."
Professor Graham Gibbs, Centre for Higher Education Practice, Open University, UK (1999)

GDN guides on: 'Providing Learning Support for Disabled Students undertaking Fieldwork and Related Activities'
"An extremely important project:
It was one of the first disability-funded projects that exclusively addressed issues concerned with teaching, learning and assessment.
It was led by academic staff in partnership with disability practitioners - this kind of partnership has signalled a real shift in thinking regarding disability issues."
Mike Adams, Director of National Disability Team, UK (2002)

Professor Mick Healey BA PhD FRGS ILTM NTF
Director Geography Discipline Network
Senior Advisor LTSN Subject Centre for Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences
National Teaching Fellow

School of Environment
University of Gloucestershire
Francis Close Hall
Swindon Road
Cheltenham GL50 4AZ
UK

Tel:  +44 (0)1242 543364
Fax: +44 (0)1242 543283
Mobile: +44 (0)7952 095129

Email: [log in to unmask]
        http://www.glos.ac.uk/environment/

If you have my email in your address book and/or URLs bookmarked, and you have not already updated them, please ensure they have 'glos' in them rather than 'chelt'.

Please note change of 'unit' from GEMRU to School of Environment