Re: Questions from a newbie on FSL ...

Patrick De Maziere <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:06:23 +0100

TEXT/PLAIN

Thanks for the quick answer Mark,

But I've still got some questions....

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Mark Jenkinson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sounds like you are almost there with your monkey data.
> If you can do your own motion correction and get a reasonable
> bet result with 0.18 for -f then there isn't much more to fix.
>
> Firstly to registration.  You will need to define a "standard space"
> to do your higher level analysis in.  Obviously our human brain
> template is not useful for this.  Instead I suggest you pick a single
> brain image from your monkey data (assumedly an MPRAGE
> that looks nice) and, for the sake of argument, call this "standard
> space" for your experiment.  Having picked this image you just
> need to use it in the Standard Space tab of the Feat registration.
> You also want to put in the individual monkey MPRAGE images
> in the "Main structural image" tab.  If these images look OK then
> flirt should be able to align them OK.

Is FLIRT still necessary if the images are already realigned and thus
motion corrected ? (I Am using the Feat GUI). apropos, templates is no
problem, since we do have EPI and MPRAGE templates of our monkeys, and
I've created with bet "pure-brain" images out of them.

> One difficulty is that it will still try to register the functional images
> to the structural ones.  You don't want this, but unfortunately, it
> can't be turned off.  However, once registration is run you can
> overwrite the results by replacing the example_func2highres.mat
> file with the following contents:
>  1 0 0 0
>  0 1 0 0
>  0 0 1 0
>  0 0 0 1

So this is not clear to me when you do the overwrite (I'm using the gui):
is it just before the second level analysis which takes all runs into
consideration ? or even before ? Because if I'm right the registration
part comes at the end of the first level analysis stage, is it not ?

> This effectively resets the transformation of the example_func
> to MPRAGE, as you say they are already aligned.  Once you've
> done this you'll need to regenerate example_func2standard.mat
> which, in this case is easy, just copy the contents of highres2standard.mat
> into example_func2standard.mat  - that is:
>   cp highres2standard.mat example_func2standard.mat
>
> This will then set things up correctly for higher-level feat analyses.
> It won't, however, fix the images on the report.html page - to do this
> you need to regenerate the gif images made by slicer - see the
> report.com file and extract the appropriate commands from there
> if you need this.

I guess fslview will return the right images ?

> Now, the BET issue.  You shouldn't need to use pre-threshold
> masking or change the brain/background percentage (although
> this probably won't be a big deal either way).  What you do need
> to do is to apply you bet result to your functional series.  This can
> be done with the following commands:
>
> ${FSLDIR}/bin/bet funcimage funcimage_brain -m -n -f 0.18
> ${FSLDIR}/bin/avwmaths funcimage_brain_mask -dil funcimage_mask
> ${FSLDIR}/bin/avwmaths functionalseries -mas funcimage_mask maskedseries

small error I guess (otherwise I'm completely lost), but line 2, shouldn't
that read: ${FSLDIR}/bin/avwmaths funcimage_brain -dil funcimage_mask ???
Moreover, what exactly does this function do, I did not see a real
difference between funcimage_brain and funcimage_mask (btw, our images do
have a 1mm^3 voxelsize). Is it some kind of smoothing ?

> where I've used the filenames funcimage, funtionalseries and maskedseries
> as your input single functional image, input 4D series and output 4D series
> respectively.  Obviously use whatever appropriate names you like for these.
> This should sort out all of your bet problems.
>
> As for HRF/CARF I would suggest that you either put in sensible
> parameters for the Gamma or Gaussian HRF model, or better still,
> choose no convolution and do the convolution with a good CARF
> model yourself, outside of FEAT, then feed the resulting timecourses
> in directly (with the custom options).

That did indeed the job, thanks very much,
Patrick