FORCED-MIGRATION 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

USCR's Anti-Warehousing Campaign

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Forced Migration List <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:57:30 +0100

text/plain

(Note: If list members would like to receive future mailings of this listserv

bulletin, they can do so by subscribing at

http://www.refugees.org/warehousing/.  This bulletin is also posted online.)

Anti-Warehousing Campaign Listserv

This is the first listserv bulletin of the U.S. Committee for Refugees'

campaign to end refugee warehousing. Please feel free to pass it around. I'm

going to try to send no more than two bulletins per week. If you don't want to

get them, there are easy instructions at the end of this message for getting

off.

This bulletin is an update on what we've been up to since release of World

Refugee Survey 2004-Warehousing Issue last May. In case the links on this

don't work, we've set up a cyber "headquarters" for the campaign at

www.refugees.org/warehousing where you'll find most of the documents I cite

here. We welcome your comments and would like to report on your activities in

the next bulletin. Here's what's covered in this one:

Sign-on Statement

Survey Rollout and Media Work

U.S. Congress and Administration

UNHCR

Other NGO Statements

Site Visit to the Levant

Upcoming Plans

Sign-on Statement

The "Statement Calling for Solutions to End the Warehousing of Refugees"

currently has more than four dozen organizational endorsements from all over

the world including most major international refugee, human rights, and

humanitarian groups, more than a dozen groups from the developing world, and

notable individuals including major refugee scholars (Stephen Castles, Guy

Goodwin-Gill, Barbara Harrell-Bond, James Hathaway, Karen Jacobsen, Gil

Loescher) and three Copenhagen Consensus participants (two of them Nobel

laureates). Members of the Refugee Council USA issued their own sign-on

statement June 14 and links to statements of other NGOs are also on the Anti-

warehousing Campaign website.

Survey Rollout and Media Work

Before the public rollout of World Refugee Survey 2004-Warehousing Issue, we

held private "heads up" briefings for our colleagues in InterAction, Refugee

Council USA, the DC office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR),

and the U.S. State Department's Bureau of Population Refugees and Migration.

On May 24 we held a press conference at the National Press Club to officially

release the Survey. It was televised live on C-SPAN Channel One and was

covered by Associated Press, Agence France Presse, Inter Press Service, United

Press International, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Columbus Dispatch, and

Voice of America News reports; articles in Dutch, German, French, and Spanish

newspapers; radio and newspaper reports in Australia, Canada, Colombia, the

Czech Republic, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, South Africa, South Korea, Spain,

the UK, and elsewhere; and by at least 35 local television stations throughout

the United States. The AP, AFP, and UPI wire reports were published in scores

of newspapers around the world and on many websites. (The coverage is

summarized with links to a few of the major articles under the "Articles"

button on the website.) We also published a special issue of Refugee Reports

on warehousing.

May 25-28, we presented the Survey at the Council of Foreign Relations and the

UN Correspondents Association in New York and at the Migration Policy

Institute in Washington. Since then we continue to present it at State Refugee

Coordinators conferences, national voluntary agency meetings, churches, and

academic gatherings. At a June 1 conference on community and faith-based

initiatives where President Bush cited several compelling refugees stories, I

managed to thank him and place a copy of the Survey into his hands without

being wrestled to the ground by Secret Service agents.

On June 4, Philip Peters of the Lexington Institute wrote a great op-ed for

Scripps Howard entitled "America should help refugees instead of 'warehousing'

them." On June 7, we issued a press release calling on the Saudi's to release

the Iraqis warehoused more than 13 years in Rafha Refugee Camp. On June 20th

(World Refugee Day), the Toronto Star ran a moving article, "Rafha camp: 'I

felt I had been robbed of my childhood," and we got a great editorial in the

Miami Herald ("Hope for a normal life after fleeing persecution: Our opinion:

End the indefinite warehousing of refugees").

Most recently, G. Jeffrey MacDonald penned an excellent piece that ran in the

July 22 Christian Science Monitor and again as "'Warehoused' refugees are

caught between conflicts and closed doors" in the July 24 Seattle Times.

U.S. Congress and Administration

On June 14, we briefed about two dozen U.S. Senate staffers from both parties

on the Survey and refugee warehousing and in July met with staffers from the

House International Relations Committee.

On June 18, Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) issued a World Refugee Day floor

statement including:

While camps are intended to be way stations, ... they too often become

warehouses. Seven million of the world's 12 million refugees have lived in

camps or segregated settlements for more than 10 years. Think of that: seven

million people who have each forfeited a decade of human potential. The

international community never intended that it be this way. The 1951

Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol - signed

by the United States - give refugees the right to be recognized before the

law, to move freely, to earn a living, and to own property. But in many cases,

these rights are not respected and the loss of human potential endures. There

are no easy solutions to the warehousing problem, but such treatment is

unacceptable.

(Emphasis in original. See also our June 22 press release.)

Senators Brownback (R-Kan.) and Kennedy (D-Mass.) are considering a Senate

resolution condemning refugee warehousing which we hope will pass unanimously

next month. The Refugee Caucus of the House of Representatives plans to

introduce a companion resolution. We also hope to have Members raise the issue

at the annual consultations on refugee admissions between the Administration

and Congress.

Under the "Millennium Challenge Account," the U.S. may condition some

development assistance on a number of criteria. We are exploring whether and

how we might add basic anti-warehousing refugee protections such as the right

to work and freedom of movement to the list.

UNHCR

We expected UNHCR to be a tough audience but, from what we heard in Geneva,

the anti-warehousing campaign could not have been better timed. Many in the

agency seem to be genuinely tired of the long-term care-and-maintenance

approach and long to revive the full protection mandate. But UNHCR is a large

institution and about as nimble as an oil tanker in changing direction. Every

positive statement seems to be matched by another indication of the old ways

dying hard. We try to strike a balance between lifting up its good examples

and smartly critiquing its shortcomings.

Lately an alphabet soup of initiatives has been developed but most of these

programs seem studiously to avoid a rights-based protection approach-kinda

like the Vatican shying away from quoting from the Bible, no? What they will

amount to in ending warehousing remains to be seen.

On June 4, we submitted comments on UNHCR's Group Profile & Proposal document

for the upcoming Annual Tripartite Consultations (ATC) on resettlement in

Geneva. On June 15, USCR Executive Director Lavinia Limón went to the ATC

meeting in Geneva to raise more forcefully the consequences of warehousing and

the strategic use of resettlement to end it.

On June 10, UNHCR issued a remarkable "Protracted Refugee Situations" document

for the upcoming Standing Committee meeting where they affirmed important anti-

warehousing principles, including:

a) that the severity of "protracted situations" depends more on the

conditions, particularly with regard to access to land and/or labor markets,

than on duration; [PARA]b) that refugee reliance on external assistance is

often due to deprivation of basic rights, including restrictions on employment

and movement, and confinement to camps; [PARA]c) that confinement to camps,

while perhaps necessary in times of crisis, is "not in conformity with the

rights enshrined in refugee instruments;" [PARA]d) that spending on care and

maintenance, while often necessary, "can only ensure that such situations are

perpetuated, not solved;" and [PARA]e) that steps to ensure that refugees

enjoy basic Convention rights, including those necessary for self-reliance,

are "core, mandate functions" of the agency applicable even in the absence of

immediate durable solution prospects.

Unfortunately, these statements were undermined by concrete examples given in

the document of UNHCR phasing out assistance to refugees even where they still

do not enjoy these basic rights.

USCR led in drafting the NGO response Director of Research and Policy Analysis

Greg Chen delivered to the Standing Committee in Geneva on July 1 and ensured

that the Executive Committee (ExCom) will address warehousing during its

upcoming October session. ExCom has yet to issue any Conclusions on protracted

refugee situations. Perhaps it's time they did.

At the Standing Committee meeting, Hazel Reitz of the U.S. State Department

commended all in attendance to read the Survey's theme piece, "Warehousing

Refugees: A Denial of Rights, a Waste of Humanity" by yours truly. UNHCR

invited Greg to attend the August conference in Zambia of several African

governments to discuss new ways of hosting refugees. (More news on this when

he gets back.)

On July 21, we issued a tart response to UNHCR's June 25 Convention Plus

document, "Basic propositions on irregular secondary migration." We noted that

it managed to mention protection more than a dozen times without once

specifying that protection must include basic Convention rights to work and

freedom of movement and that the denial of these rights to more than 7 million

of the world's 12 million refugees has a lot to do with such "irregular"

movements.

Other NGO Statements

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops reprinted the May 22 Catholic News

Service release on the Survey and warehousing. The Refugee Council USA issued

a member sign-on statement June 14. Episcopal Migration Ministries and Jesuit

Refugee Service/USA each came out with anti-warehousing statements for World

Refugee Day. Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service's president, Ralston

Deffenbaugh, did an excellent "From the President's Desk" piece on the Survey

and warehousing in the July FYI.

Site Visit to the Levant

Policy Analyst Lisa Raffonelli just got back from a 5-week visit to Lebanon,

Syria, and Jordan this summer to meet with refugees, community leaders,

government officials, and international organizations and initiate discussions

about ending the warehousing of refugees in the region. (See "With Palestine,

against the Palestinians: Warehousing Palestinian Refugees in Lebanon.")

She visited 14 refugee camps during the 5-week visit, assessing conditions on

the ground and ideas about how to move forward. Unlike Syria, which has

integrated Palestinian refugees with full rights short of citizenship, Lebanon

has denied them nearly all Convention rights and views the issue as "100% non-

negotiable." Apparently they are even against refugees' sewage being

integrated: development organizations abandoned work on a new treatment

facility in one southern camp when authorities denied access to the city

lines, after orally agreeing to grant permission for the tie-in!

With increasing unemployment, deteriorating living conditions, and declining

assistance, conditions are bleak. Yet, the refugees remain hopeful that

someday things will get better. In the words of one Palestinian refugee living

in Beirut's Bourj el-Barajneh camp, "We are prepared to fulfill our

obligations in terms of Lebanese law, and we are doing that, but we want our

rights as Arabs, as exiled refugees, just as Syria treats us-we are not

interested in political participation, we just want our rights."

Upcoming Plans

Greg is at UNHCR's conference with African government reps in Zambia as I

write and goes on to Tanzania in the second half of August to meet with local

NGOs to advance the anti-warehousing campaign there.

Our development director, Peter Kranstover, will make a fact-finding trip to

Chad from September 1-15 to investigate assistance delivery to the 200,000

Sudanese refugees from Darfur (warehousing-in-the-making?), how urban and

other non-encamped refugees are getting by, whether local Chadian hosts are

being properly compensated, etc.

I will represent the organization and re-release the anti-warehousing sign-on

statement at the UN's NGO conference in New York on September 8. We have a

meeting with a VP of the World Bank on the 9th and I should be going to the

Pre-ExCom and ExCom meetings in Geneva in late September and early October. If

you're also going, let me know and maybe we can meet up.

In January, I hope to be at the International Association for the Study of

Forced Migration conference in Sao Paulo, Brazil, participating in panels on

warehousing and urban refugees with Kasia Grabska, Barbara Harrell-Bond, Karen

Jacobsen, Loren Landau, Sarah Dryden Peterson, Tara Polzer, and Roos Willems.

USCR also hopes to lead a Congressional fact-finding delegation on warehousing

in Thailand and Nepal in January.

Conclusion

I know that's a lot to absorb! Sorry it's taken so long to get this up and

running. Future bulletins, which I will try to limit to two per week, should

be timelier and briefer. In the next one, I want to focus on what you have

been doing, where you think the campaign should go, and what you would like to

see in future bulletins. So please write and tell me.

In future bulletins I may also briefly review a few books I've been reading

lately including Stephen John Stedman and Fred Tanner (eds.), Refugee

Manipulation: War, Politics, and the Abuse of Human Suffering; Fiona Terry,

Condemned to Repeat? The Paradox of Humanitarian Action; and Guglielmo

Verdirame and Barbara Harrell-Bond's Rights in Exile: Janus-Faced

Humanitarianism. If any of you have any comments on them, please send them as

well.

Merrill Smith

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the

Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by the Refugee Studies

Centre (RSC), University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the

views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or

re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts

should include attribution to the original sources.