Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Don't kill coyote

STEVEN BISSELL <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion forum for environmental ethics.

Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:52:25 -0700

text/plain

Interesting article John. I worked on and off with alternative methods to
reduce coyote predation on livestock for 30+ years and have seen both
success and failure with the use of Llamas, Great Pyrenees, those weird
'rasta' dogs, even 'tame' coyotes raised with the sheep. If all livestock
growers were as dedicated as the folks in this article, there are lots of
programs which would work. The trouble is, they are an exception in the
extreme.

The economic incentive is a new twist and I have not, as yet, seen it here
in Colorado in so far as 'predator friendly' beef is concerned. There is,
however, a large market for the so-called 'organic' beef and other meat
(I've often wonder what 'inorganic' meat was?). There are at least two
large, corporate, ranches in Colorado which specialize in 'free range,'
chemical free meat and they seem to do fine. This is a new aspect which
might be interesting.

BTW, one of the 'benefits' of introduced wolves in Yellowstone has been a
reduction by about half of the coyote population. So far there is
conflicting evidence about wolf predation on livestock, but most reports
seem to think it is insignificant. I guess that is in the eye of the
beholder. At any rate there is some speculation that wolf introduction may,
in fact, *reduce* livestock predation because wolves tend to focus on larger
animals such as full grown elk and deer rather than young livestock. Also
'problem' wolves, i.e. those who actually kill livestock, seem to be easier
to identify and remove than coyotes.

I've always rather liked coyotes. You have to admire an animal whose range
and densities have both increased despite a century of poisoning, shooting,
burning, and an overall attempt to eradicate them. I live in the burbs of
Denver and can go out and find coyote tracks anytime after a snow storm.

Steven

>From: John Foster <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Don't kill coyote
>Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:29:17 -0800
>
>Predator friendly beef fetches a premium. Paying for conservation by
>consuming...interesting.
>
>Interesting practice which has been around and gaining is to use Llamas to
>protect livestock from predators. Since Coyotes are part of the 'sys' we
>need, they can be beneficial to farmers and ranchers too.
>

>http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0102/p15s01-sten.html
>
>Sci/Tech > Environment
>from the January 02, 2004 edition
>
>Don't kill the coyote, just confuse him a little
>
>By Tim King | Contributor to The Christian Science Monitor
>
>Traps. Fences. Poison. Ranchers have tried everything to keep predators
>from
>their livestock. But guard llamas? At Thirteen Mile Ranch near Belgrade,
>Mont., llamas have kept watch over the sheep for a decade. The result: No
>losses from coyotes - the bane of sheep ranchers.
>
>"Our llamas have developed some kind of an understanding with a local and
>fairly stable coyote pack," says Becky Weed, who runs the ranch with her
>partner, David Tyler. "They know the ropes, and we know the ropes, and I
>think they understand that we don't bother them. We like to have them
>around
>because they hunt gophers."
>
>Increasingly, ranchers in the US and abroad are turning to such natural
>methods - from aggressive donkeys to strategic herd movement - to safeguard
>livestock. Those methods mean ranchers seldom have to kill predators. True,
>the predators they save aren't particularly endangered. And the products
>they market as "predator friendly" sometimes fetch a premium. But the
>impetus behind the wild-farming movement seems to run deeper than that. Its
>message: Ranchers, livestock, and large predators can coexist.
>
>"People farm with the wild because they deeply care about the land as their
>home," says Dan Imhoff, author of a new book, "Farming With the Wild." "It
>has economic value, but it also taps into life's biggest questions. Why are
>we here? What is our place in the community of all species?"
>
>Consider Will Holder, an Arizona rancher whose friends call him the "Cattle
>Whisperer." "I'm with my cattle every day," he says. "If you spend enough
>time with them, you can tell by the way they are acting that a lion has
>moved into the area."
>
>When cattle signal that a lion or a wolf is near, Mr. Holder moves cattle.
>It sounds simple, he says, but compared with the conventional approach to
>ranching, day herding represents a radical departure. "The traditional way
>of managing cattle in the West is you kind of kick them out into a pasture
>and don't look at them for about four months," says Holder. His family
>sells
>predator-friendly beef at premium prices under the Ervin's Natural Beef
> [...]

Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet
access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup