[CSL]: [CTHEORY] Article 146 - A Utopia Realized

J Armitage <[log in to unmask]>

Interdisciplinary academic study of Cyber Society <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:51:30 -0000

text/plain

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: 10 November 2004 18:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CTHEORY] Article 146 - A Utopia Realized

 CTHEORY          THEORY, TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE        VOL 27, NO 3
        *** Visit CTHEORY Online: http://www.ctheory.net ***

 Article 146       04/11/10     Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker

 A Utopia Realized: Cyber For All

 ~Thierry Bardini~

      I like to think (it has to be) of a cybernetic ecology where we
      are free of our labors and joined back to nature, returned to
      our mammal brothers and sisters, and all watched over by
      machines of loving grace.

                                               -- Richard Brautigan

 Here, ONE will perhaps read that Kublai Khan dreamed of the Internet,
 or that the computer was at first a ~calculationes~ machine and
 therefore found its origins in the scholastics! Indeed, why not the
 ~radical~ anachronism? ONE also says, and from authorized sources it
 would seem, that the Internet was invented for/by the American
 military to protect against the possibility of nuclear attack on
 their territory. It is a subtle anachronism, because packet
 switching, ARPANET's operating principle -- the Internet's precursor
 -- was invented in 1962 by Paul Baran at RAND, the Pentagon's think
 tank. It was invented for reasons such as: a ~sputnik~ in orbit, a
 pylon or two exploding in Utah, the threat of a glacial war and the
 first terrorist attack on US soil. But the Internet came ten years
 later; ARPANET, seven years later... A small anachronism becomes
 History, subtlety grounds interpretation, compromising the
 chronology, oh just a little, just an extrapolation.

 And yet, that is exactly the point. What if this extrapolation was
 the foundation, what if the anachronism was the most fundamental
 source of this historic discourse? Michel de Certeau is not so
 radical, but just the same he says that the "relation of the present
 to the past is the specialty of historiography." [1] De Certeau
 recalls Raymond Aron's theses and concludes that "a first critique of
 'scientism' revealed in 'objective' history its relation to one
 place, that of the subject." [2] So I will jump into this first
 inversion, from time to place:

      Political in its essence, historic discourse supposes a ~reason
      of place~. It legitimizes a place, that of its production, by
      "understanding" others through a rapport of filiation or
      exteriority. It ~takes its own authorization from the place~
      that allows it to explain what is different as "foreign" and
      what is interior as "unique." [3]

 By resolutely following the method of the absolute structure [4], I
 suggest even inversing this inversion by intensifying it, by passing
 from place to utopia, and by strangely locating utopia in
 cyberspace, this place of all places. Hence, I propose to you a
 fiction, a short wander through the land of communication's utopia.
 To speak of a current utopia, I chose the cybernetic utopia in its
 current form, cyberspace. For this, I indulge in a double journey to
 the land of utopia. Why not spin out the metaphor and realize all
 these non-places in one journey?

 Cyberspace is (also) a political and demiurgic project, a projection
 space of ~n~ dimensions, one that comes closer and closer to the
 ephemeral sphere of infinite range centred on each of its points
 (Pascal, following Alain de Lille). Here, everyone will project their
 anguish and dreams, according to their own private ambitions and
 nightmares. I don't want to speak of utopia with a capital U (or
 capital with a K, as in Kultur or Kapital). Allow me to speak to you
 only of utopia realized and of its inversed image in the looking
 glass, the dream's resistance.

 Hence, I have chosen to situate utopia in two places, following the
 lead of two certified guides. For utopia realized, who other than
 Jean Baudrillard, the extreme occidental, the master of simulacra, to
 point me to Salt Lake City? For the dream's resistance, who other
 than Jorge Luis Borges, the blind librarian, another extreme
 occidental, to show me the emptiness of Patagonia?

 Erewhyna, U.S.A. [5]
 --------------------

 In 1986, Jean Baudrillard told us that America is the homeland of
 utopia realized, and Salt Lake City is its vanishing point in
 hyperspace: *voila*, the concept of Salt Lake City, this vortex in
 the Desert of Salt. Erik Davis has since confirmed for me, in an
 article for the excellent magazine, ~21C~ [6]: the Mormon arches
 describe the vanishing point of the American realization of
 cyberspace. The Mormons populate these arches, which are at the same
 time concrete and virtual, with dead souls often freshly baptized,
 and also with avatars (such as Joan of Arc, who might have fourteen
 of them). And all this under the desert of salt's intense light that
 said to Jean Baudrillard, "The whole city has the superhuman,
 extraterrestrial transparence and cleanliness of an object from
 elsewhere." [7]

 The space to conquer at the beginning of this agitated millennium
 could not be other than symbolic space, anchored in the political
 economy of the sign. From the Alpha of the Centaur to the Omega of
 the Noosphere, by way of the talmudic aleph. In the shadow of the
 arms race to the first steps towards the heavens, stumbling for a
 while on a desolate satellite and measuring the possible by the
 rhythm of the planets, hot or cold, in a glacial war climate that,
 all things considered, released only sterilizing atomic rains, we
 were given to dreaming of a pure construct of our consciousnesses,
 which was also quickly transformed into a war machine. Let's be more
 clear. Let's quickly attempt the autopsy.

 Cyberspace is born at the beginning of the 1980s. In 1984, which
 hardly resembles the Orwellian 1984, William Gibson invents the word
 ~Cyberspace~, "a collective and consensual hallucination." [8]

 1984 -- Cyberspace is thus born in the hour of the American Star Wars
 (the Hollywood and thus already global version), whose shortness of
 breath it anticipates, to some extent. America, homeland of utopia
 realized, its native land, is thus (almost) triumphant. She, America,
 smiles from ear to ear the grins of her actor presidents (Reagan or a
 Walt Disney clone?) and of her visionary directors (Lucas and
 Spielberg). The neo/ex-League of Nations had only to cling to its
 ejector seat. So for more than 15 years, the resistance has been
 established in a constellation of three-piece suits, ties and all.
 The convincing ideals of 1968 are stained with green realism spouting
 IN GOD WE TRUST, New Age pyramids ever adorning the unitary currency,
 but no one reads these ideals anymore; they're too busy renegotiating
 frontier history in a delirium of self-help/personal development.
 It's the minute of the ego, the hour of galloping inflation.
 Counter-culture settles down with ready-to-consume substitutes; among
 the figurines of the epoch, Gandhi and Ronald McDonald harmoniously
 rub elbows and  Saint Kerouac takes on the false airs of a
 door-to-door salesman. Apple computers are sold as if they were
 oranges. There's a good living to be made from virtual income, in the
 space of copyright ~opera mundi~. ET phones home.

 (c) All reproduction rights prohibited.

 Reaction: cyber takes on an attitude of the era, PUNK. Yes, Punk. The
 resistance to the resistance breaks down, it is chaos at last. AIDS
 rears its horrendous head, the vomit on ~My Way~ -- Sex Pistols style
 -- has dried solid, we have all heard the calls from London, the
 first City to fall into in the post-second oil trauma riots. The
 cobblestones that ought to have hidden the beach lay silent at the
 end of their parabolic trajectories, it's crisis, once and for all.
 There is no one left to find them another meaning that would not be a
 simulacra, can ONE throw a cobblestone out of boredom? And still no
 beach. Everyone lives in the suburbs, refrigerators incessantly
 humming OOOOm, Japanese VCRs stopped at Poitiers, microwaves have
 just landed, just like the TGV in France, inaugurated with media pomp
 and circumstance, and the compact disc sells like hotcakes. It's the
 era of the void, and nobody gives a damn.

 1989 -- Cyberspace diffuses at the exact moment when the Wall
 crumbles, a wall too cumbersome for globalizing expansions. The Wall
 falls at the hour of the commemoration of a revolution that
 authorized global expansionism under the enlightened banner of
 capitalistic progress. Paris commemorates its revolution in the form
 of a parade, *un defile de mode*, a cosmetic spectacle, a fashionable
 extravaganza.  *Liberte-Egalite-Haute-Couture.*  From Ulrich, the
 protagonist of Musil's _Man without Qualities_ (MwQ, as in "BwO"),
 and his function of organizer of the celebration of the Emperor's
 party, disappearance, eclipse, until his reappearance as Jean-Paul
 Gaultier, Emperor Mitterand's own Ulrich for his commemoration:
 revolution in power, a historical hole. Ulrich metamorphoses into an
 Internet surfer, an *internaute*. The cash machine understood this
 well, punk [TM] starts being sold in drugstores. It falls a bit short
 once in a while, but don't worry, we're starting to master the
 intermediary conflicts. Ideology [TM] flourishes on the backdrop of
 the "Death of Ideology," a commercial backdrop like any other. It
 reeks of demagogic hyperbole: hey tourists, what would you say to a
 small taste of global village? CNN won't charge you, don't change the
 channel, stay warm in front of the tube. Virtual glasses enrich the
 display to help you see into the corners better, it's cool for
 disguising the kids who will play Doom, and it's really efficient,
 it'll soon be a big commercial success. But above all, it's in the
 connection: plug in, the poster says, it's in pixels. ~Everybody is a
 user~.

 1997 -- The prophets proliferate, binging gurus recruiting practices
 that are on the edge of extinction, recruiting them from university
 ranks that are practically restructured as intellectual eco-museums.
 Experimentation focuses now on the human aspects of technology,
 incorporating with all its strength, communities are back,
 communitarianism lurks in the ether. From one circle to another, we
 find our cousins, and some strangers too. Matter invades the
 ethereal, utopia splinters under the weight of merchandizing, and the
 Internet surfer, cramped over his console, starts dreaming again that
 he's become part of the machine: cyborg [TM] is in style. Or at least
 his image is...

 The spectacular machine materialized cyberspace before it even
 existed, oversaturated it with images, leaving to the founding utopia
 only scraps of the consciousnesses that created it. It is the
 question of this triumphant materialism that ironically drives me to
 place [TM] alongside every once-respectable concept, even that which
 indifferently translates its fascination for the next level in the
 same blissful spectre of catastrophe, everywhere present in
 advertising slogans for video games, messianic/suicidal messages, or
 cyber-democratic projects: Sega [TM] and Heaven's Gate, same combat!
 ~Welcome to the next level!~

      Because the materiality of things, of course, is their
      cinematography.[9]

 Hollywood productions of cyberspace: ~Total Recall~ (1990), ~Until
 the End of the World~ (1991), ~Lawnmower Man~ (1992), ~Wild Palms~
 (1993), ~Disclosure~ (1994), ~Hackers~ (1995), ~Johnny Mnemonic
 ~(1995), ~Lawnmower Man II~ (1995), ~Strange Days~ (1995) and
 ~Virtuosity~ (1995).

 Will the cybernetic utopia definitively die (without hope of
 resurrection) from this spectacular materialization? [10]

 EreNowH: The First Prohibition
 ------------------------------

 From 1948, in his first edition of _Cybernetics or Control and
 Communication in the Animal and the Machine_, Norbert Wiener already
 rebelled against the vain hopes held by some of his friends who
 thought they could derive some sort of social efficacy from the
 theses of his work. According to Wiener, their reasoning was based on
 the observation of a growing differential between human control of
 material and social environments: where natural science allowed the
 former, social science ought to allow the latter. "From believing
 this necessary, they come to believe it possible." "In this,"
 retorted Wiener, "they show an excessive optimism, and a
 misunderstanding of the nature of all scientific achievement."[11]
 In short, Wiener accused his sociologist, anthropologist and
 economist friends of utopianism.

 With these few words, Weiner invoked the very spirit of utopian
 thought, which implies that because something is deemed necessary, it
 must be possible: optimism plus ignorance, to summarize his equation.
 It is this fundamental cybernetic utopia, which added "human" to
 Wiener's "animal and machine," that I would like to discuss. But I
 would also like to oppose this utopia to the now widespread idea of
 another cybernetic utopia, a non-place where super-humanity in its
 dawn would have stored fantasies of its machinistic evolution to come
  (the famous cyborg [TM]). In my opinion, this cyborg utopia is quite
 secondary, historically derived [12]. I would like to take up here,
 despite Wiener's condemnation, the original bet of his anthropologist
 friends, and reinstitute the founding cybernetic non-place.

 Gregory Bateson, the most eminent of the "friends of Norbert Wiener,"
 was perhaps the last great priest of this heresy. In his view, the
 very idea of an evolving ~telos~, of a "conscious plan" has no
 meaning outside of the realm of ideas: the only salvation of
 Darwinism, "this climax of the modern obsession for design," is
 outside of materialism [13].

 To all vendors and door-to-door salesmen of Cyberspace in a kit, it
 is time, I think, to recall the only founding cybernetic utopia, the
 one which Norbert Wiener rejected at its inception, the one which
 Gregory Bateson put back in its place: an idea that would not be
 practical (and hence not political either), that would be rather
 immaterial and without future, in short, an idea plain and simple,
 not an ideology. What does this tell us, this idea, this initial
 dream of founding a synthesis, a ~Sacred Unity~ that rests on an
 empirical science of knowledge, an epistemology that would become a
 ~Natural and Normative History~? Cybernetic utopia, if such a thing
 still exists, ought to remind us that if we are now in a position to
 become the engineers of our own evolving destiny, it is above all a
 function of the rapport that we concretely develop with the world to
 which we belong -- be it ethereal or not. On this subject, my second
 guide had a surprise in store for me...

 Erewhon, Patagonia: The Place of the Dream

 Patagonia will here serve as a non-place par excellence, the place of
 emptiness or of nothing; another surface of projection. Bruce Chatwin
 and Paul Theroux, two of my travel mates, devoted a superb book to
 Patagonia under the prophetic title, _Nowhere is a Place_: "So
 Patagonia was the promise of an unknown landscape, the experience of
 freedom, the most Southerly part of my own country, the perfect
 destination... I thought: Nowhere is a place." [14]  In the same
 book, Bruce Chatwin took up the words of my second guide, Jorge Luis
 Borges, on the subject: "You will find nothing there. There is
 nothing in Patagonia." [15] This could be (also) expressed by
 "nothing is in Patagonia," in the sense that the "absence of things
 [no-thing] exists in Patagonia." Or maybe even "the absence of things
 materializes in Patagonia," in the sense of Baudrillard's
 filmographic materiality. Because, you see, Patagonia, this other
 desert, also leaves its mark on visitors by the richness of the
 images it encrypts in them. Witness the words of Charles Darwin, one
 of the first visitors to Patagonia, and certainly among the most
 illustrious (in the last chapter of _Voyage of the Beagle_):

      In calling up images of the past, I find that the plains of
      Patagonia frequently cross before my eyes; yet these plains are
      pronounced by all wretched and useless. They can be described
      only by negative characters; without habitations, without water,
      without trees, without mountains, they only support a few dwarf
      plants. Why then, and the case is not peculiar to myself, have
      these arid wastes taken so firm a hold of my memory? [...] I can
      scarcely analyze these feelings; but it must be partly owing to
      the free scope given to the imagination.[16]

 Paul Theroux seems to concur with my hazardous translation when he
 opposes Darwin's vision with the vision of one of his successors,
 William Hudson, in _Idle Days in Patagonia_ (1893).  In Theroux's
 view, for Hudson, "the experience of Patagonia is a journey to a
 higher plane of existence, to a kind of harmony with nature which is
 the absence of thought [...] Darwin's mistake was that he was looking
 for something in Patagonia [...] it is better, Hudson says, to look
 for nothing at all. Feel it and let yourself be moved by it." [17]

 "It = nothing"
 --------------

 Let's accept, if you will, this translation (Treason? Betrayal?) as
 our premise, and starting from this premise, let's construct a
 paradoxical scenery, Erehwon  reviewed and corrected. [18] Patagonia
 as the site of suspended thought, as the desolate door to a sacred
 unity, empirically felt rather than thought, this harmony to which
 Gregory Bateson (may have) alluded. Hudson confirms it: "my mind was
 suddenly transformed from a thinking machine into a machine for some
 unknown goal. Thinking was like starting a noisy motor in my head."
 It's in the silence of this paradoxical scenery that I intend to
 place my second guide, trusting in his scholarly blindness to raise
 this evocation of the famous superior plane of existence. [19]

 At the heart of this evocative silence, Jorge Luis Borges will
 provide the key, I think, to the resistance to realization, this slow
 death of cybernetic utopia as it is put into place, as it is
 spatialized -- and, who knows, the slow death of every utopia as it
 is realized? This filmed and photographed cyberspace, object of all
 the images I strive to critique. For you see, I do indeed need the
 non-place of Patagonia so that what Borges tells us will be apparent
 in its full strength, in the strength of the eternity of suspended
 thought...

 But thought suspended, what remains for us to know, poor Cartesian
 animals that we are, poor thinking machines? I could certainly refer,
 as is so much the fashion these days, to certain more or less
 esoteric practices from faraway civilizations: whirling dervishes,
 Buddhist monks, Japanese gardeners...But that would be asking you, my
 Cartesian readers, to suspend your way of relating with the world to
 imagine the practice of someone else, someone who is foreign to you.
 It seems absurd, doesn't it? Rather than ask the help of these more
 or less extreme-orientals, I suggest instead to portray my guide as a
 hermit in his desert: this image will speak more to us, I believe. So
 there we have the backdrop.

 Now for the text, where the question will focus on the dream's
 resistance... For if cyberspace is the creation of a cybernetic
 utopia, the paradoxical spatialization of the original prohibition,
 the fact remains that the initial dream can make utopia endure. If up
 until now I have played with the question of space (going so far as
 to locate the utopia realized), I must now attack its temporality:
 from u-topic to u-chronic. From the archeology of Salt Lake City,
 let's now turn to the Patagonian genealogy. For this, I propose to
 come back to the antecedents of William Gibson's vision, this
 "consensual and collective hallucination." As a good science fiction
 novelist, Gibson obviously didn't start from scratch, but rather from
 the layers of practice and representation that are already more or
 less fossilized.

 At least in this sense, cyberspace existed before it was given a
 name. When Gibson published _Neuromancer_ in 1984, networked computer
 information had already been in existence for at least 15 years. Even
 before the Internet, with its ancestor ARPANET, computer scientists
 had been communicating online for ages... But, you might retort, real
 cyberspace is the Web, which didn't arrive on the scene until 1989.
 To which I would reply: Exactly! That is precisely what our question
 is here: if the Web is the consensual and collective hallucination
 which Gibson speaks of, we must insist above all else on its
 qualifiers, because this hallucination wasn't invented yesterday...

 This hallucination has already been treated by Theodore Holm Nelson,
 an expert in "vaporware" (as the Americans say), who, in the
 mid-1960s, invented another word that is now widespread: "hypertext."
 The Web is first and foremost a hypermedium: hypertext embellished
 with graphics, images, videos, etc. It was precisely this dream, this
 hallucination that agitated Ted Nelson, the d(R)eam of the
 e-encyclopedia, of a computerized literary system where everyone's
 contributions could be stored and catalogued, connected to and
 visited over and over again, in short, a sort of ideal library... Not
 unrelated to the Borges' "Library of Babel"! But rather than focusing
 on this conceptual coincidence, I would like to use my second guide
 to ponder names. Ted Nelson chose a very curious name for his system,
 a name that resonates with wordsmiths and that evokes a thousand
 exotic delights: Xanadu. Better yet, Xanadu qualifies Nelson's dream
 itself since the system has not yet seen the light of day...Xanadu,
 the name of all of Ted Nelson's projects:

      For 25 years, I've worked on different projects, all based on
      the principle of hypertext and all called Xanadu. It was the
      name of one of the palaces of Mongol emperor Kublai Khan, near
      Peking. English poet Samuel Coleridge used the name Xanadu in
      one of his works as the symbol of creativity and romantic
      inspiration. But Coleridge also said that he forgot that part of
      the history. So Xanadu becomes the symbol of conflict between
      the artist's mind and the problems brought in from the world
      outside, which makes him forget his work. For me, Xanadu is the
      place ~par excellence~ of artistic creation and the magic palace
      of memory, where nothing is ever forgotten. [20]

 Hence, Xanadu is clearly a place for Nelson, the place of infallible
 memory and thus necessarily a palace, as the art of memory goes.
 Xanadu is thus the name of Ted Nelson's dream, of Coleridge's poem
 and of Kublai Khan's palace. And it's at this point that Borge's
 clarifications come into play: to spin these coincidences into one
 single thread -- a rainbow, according to Keats --  and thus
 concretize the dream's resistance.

 In a short text entitled "Le reve de Coleridge" (Coleridge's Dream),
 published in his collection _Autres inquisitions_ (1952), Borges
 reminds us that indeed Coleridge first "dreamed" his poem, but also,
 and this is his most remarkable contribution, that Kublao Khan had
 also dreamed his palace... According to Borges indeed, we can find in
 a book from the XIII century entitled _History of Persia and the
 Mongols_, the following lines penned by Rashid-ed-Din, vizier to
 Ghazan Mahmoud and descendent of Kublai Khan: "To the East of Shang
 Tu, Kublai Khan built a palace, according to a plan he had seen in a
 dream and which he kept in his memory." Borges concludes:

      If the diagram was verified during one night from which we are
      separated by centuries, someone will dream the same dream,
      without suspecting that others have already dreamed it, and he
      will shape it from marble or from music. Perhaps the series of
      dreams has no end, perhaps the key is in the last.

      After having written the preceding, I glimpse or I believe I
      glimpsed another explanation. Who knows if an archetype not yet
      revealed to man, an eternal object (to use Whitehead's
      nomenclature) does not slowly penetrate the world. Its first
      manifestation was the palace; its second, the poem. Whoever
      compares them will see that they are essentially identical.[21]

 The dream's third manifestation was Nelson's system, and the last
 version (to date), Gibson's cyberspace. Borges was right: Nelson
 didn't remember Coleridge's dream (he simply said that he must have
 "forgotten a part of history") and ignored the dream of Kublai Khan.
 Thus the dream resists, it remains in the oversights and the
 omissions, and an eternal object [22] takes on multiple forms in the
 world following these dreams: palace, poem, unrealized yet
 influential proposition, cyberpunk novel, communication space. But
 the final point has not yet been made...

 Coda: The Space-time of Suspended Thought

 There is but one detail that Borges omitted and that makes complete
 sense to me. In his story, Coleridge, suffering from an "illness,"
 had to take a "sleeping aid" that gave him respite from the sleep in
 which he dreamt his poem. When he awoke, he remembered this with a
 "singular clarity" that allowed him to write down for the richness of
 "one page of undisputed splendor." Borges' euphemism is revealed to
 us in this singular clarity which we now know corresponds to the
 awakening from a particular sleep, a "holiday rest" where "the
 majestic antagonism of equal and powerful forces [are expressed];
 infinite activities, infinite rest!" (Baudelaire, "translating" De
 Quincey). A "sleep," if we can use such a word, where, in his "slow
 speed" the dreamer becomes the "place of phenomena that art brings to
 us from outside." (Cocteau) To put it plainly, perhaps an awakened
 dream would suspend thought...

      In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
      A stately pleasure-dome decree:
      Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
      Through caverns measureless to man
      Down to a sunless sea.
      So twice five miles of fertile ground
      With walls and towers were girdled round:
      And there were gardens bright with sinous rills,
      Where blossomed many an incense-burning tree;
      And where forests ancient as the hills
      Enfolding sunny spots of greenery...

 Let's stop crying for the utopia lost in its realization and instead
 let's rejoice in its infinite indulgence in giving everafter into our
 dreams and fantasies... And if at times an eternal object comes to
 fertilize them, let's reflect on it and, unflinching, daring, let's
 continue to be dreamed! Because, after all, as Coleridge said in
 another of "his" dreams,

      If while dreaming a man traverses paradise,
      that he receive a flower as proof of passage,
      And upon wakening, he find this flower in his hands...
      What is one to say?

 After a visit to Prague and Rabbi Loew's tombstone, I would dare to
 add a few words, a cryptic answer from the apocryphal legends
 surrounding the father of the golem: "death in a rose, alas, death in
 a rose."

 Notes:
 ------

 * words denoted with asterisks contain accents not compatible with
   the ascii version of the text.

 [1] De Certeau, M., _L'ecriture de l'histoire_, Paris: Gallimard,
 1975, p. 353.

 [2] Ibid. p. 65.

 [3] Ibid. p. 354.

 [4] See Abellio, R., _La structure absolue, Esssai de phenomenology_,
 Paris: Guillard, 1965.

 [5] I thank Samuel Butler for having invented this pig-latin-like
 form of slang and for having thus provided my titles (see Butler,
 S., _Erewhon_, London: Penguin Books, 1985 [1872]).

 [6] Davis, Erik, "Neuromancer Database of the Dead," ~21C~, No. 1
 (1997), p. 44-49.

 [7] Baudrillard, Jean, _Amerique_, Paris: Grasset et Fasquelle
 (Biblio "essais"), 1986, p. 8.

 [8] Gibson, William, _Neuromancer_, New York: Berkley, 1984.

 [9] Baudrilard, _Amerique_, op. cit. n. 7, p. 83.

 [10] Guy Debord said "spectacle is the material reconstruction of the
 religious illusion." in _La societe du spectacle_, Paris: Gallimard
 (Folio), 1992.

 [11] Wiener, Norbert, _Cybernetics or Control and Communications in
 the Animal and the Machine_, 2nd edition, Cambridge (MA): MIT Press,
 1965 [1948], p. 162.

 [12] I can even date this second utopia with some precision to the
 appearance and development of the first generation of computer
 scientists in the 1960s in the United States. I consider the famous
 article by JCR Licklider, first head of ARPA's Information Processing
 Technology Office of the American Department of Defense, as the first
 manifestation of this second utopia; the article entitled
 "Man-Computer Symbiosis" was published in 1960  (_IRE Transactions on
 Human Factors in Electronics_, March 1960, p. 4-11): here the cyborg
 took over for the golem.

 [13] Bateson, Gregory, _A Sacred Unity: Further Steps to an Ecology
 of Mind_, under the direction of Rodney E. Donaldson, New York:
 Cornelia and Michael Bessie, 1991.

 [14] Chatwin, B. and P. Theroux, _Nowhere is  a Place: Travels in
 Patagonia_, San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 199, p. 29.

 [15] Ibid. p. 36.

 [16] Darwin, Charles, _Journal of Researches into the Natural History
 and Geology of Countries Visited during the Voyage round the World of
 H.M.S. Beagle_, London, 1902, quoted in Theroux and Chatwin, _Nowhere
 Is a Place_, op. cit. n. 14, p. 39.

 [17] Ibid. p. 36-39.

 [18] But perhaps scarcely corrected, after all. Because Butler's
 "wastelands," this fictionalization of the Canterbury Settlement (New
 Zealand) where he stayed between 1860 and 1864, seems to have been
 mistaken, through their effect on the solitary soul, for the
 Patagonia that Darwin evoked.

 [19] Chatwin, B. and P. Theroux, _Nowhere is  a Place: Travels in
 Patagonia_, San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 199, p. 41.

 [20] Ted Nelson, remark noted by Yves Eudes (Multimedia section of
 ~Monde~, week of April 1, 1996).

 [21] Borges, J. L., _Oeuvres completes_, Paris: Gallimard
 (Bibliotheque de la Pleiade), 1993, p. 685, my translation.

 [22] "The two conspicuous examples of the truth-relation in human
 experience are afforded by propositions and by sense-perception. A
 proposition is the abstract possibility of some specified nexus of
 actualities realizing some eternal object, which may either be
 simple, or may be a complex pattern of simpler objects." Whitehead,
 Alfred North,  _Adventures of Ideas_, New York: Free Press, 1967
 [1933], p. 243.

 --------------------

 * This is the English version of a text that appeared previously in
 French at http://post-scriptum.org/  issue 2003, 2 : "Anachronisme et
 intempestivite". I thank Stephanie Fox for her help with the
 translation.

 * in memoriam, Ev Rogers.

 --------------------

 Thierry Bardini is associate professor in the department of
 communication at the Universite de Montreal. He holds a masters in
 agronomy and a Ph.D. in sociology (and often feels about letting them
 drop). He dreamed for a long time about "writing in a different way"
 and now feels that he has started doing it. He is currently working
 on his second book, entitled _Junk_Log_.

 *
 * CTHEORY is an international journal of theory, technology and
 *    culture. Articles, interviews, and key book reviews in
 *    contemporary discourse are published weekly as well as
 *    theorisations of major "event-scenes" in the mediascape.
 *
 * Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker
 *
 * Editorial Board: Jean Baudrillard (Paris), Paul Virilio (Paris),
 *   Bruce Sterling (Austin), R.U. Sirius (San Francisco), Siegfried
 *   Zielinski (Koeln), Stelarc (Melbourne), Richard Kadrey (San
 *   Francisco), DJ Spooky [Paul D. Miller] (NYC), Timothy Murray
 *   (Ithaca/Cornell), Lynn Hershman Leeson (San Francisco), Stephen
 *   Pfohl (Boston), Andrew Ross (NYC), David Cook (Toronto), Ralph
 *   Melcher (Sante Fe), Shannon Bell (Toronto), Gad Horowitz
 *   (Toronto), Andrew Wernick (Peterborough).
 *
 * In Memory: Kathy Acker
 *
 * Editorial Correspondents: Ken Hollings (UK),
 *   Maurice Charland (Canada) Steve Gibson (Canada/Sweden).
 *
 * Editorial Assistant: Ted Hiebert
 * WWW Design & Technical Advisor: Spencer Saunders (CTHEORY.NET)
 * WWW Engineer Emeritus: Carl Steadman

                To view CTHEORY online please visit:
                      http://www.ctheory.net/

            To view CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA online please visit:
                 http://ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu/

 * CTHEORY includes:
 *
 * 1. Electronic reviews of key books in contemporary theory.
 *
 * 2. Electronic articles on theory, technology and culture.
 *
 * 3. Event-scenes in politics, culture and the mediascape.
 *
 * 4. Interviews with significant theorists, artists, and writers.
 *
 * 5. Multimedia theme issues and projects.
 *
 *
 * The Editors would like the thank the University of Victoria for
 *   financial and intellectual support of CTheory. In particular, the
 *   Editors would like to thank the Dean of Social Sciences, Dr. John
 *   Schofield, the Dean of Engineering, Dr. D. Michael Miller and Dr.
 *   Jon Muzio, Department of Computer Science.
 *
 * No use of CTHEORY articles without permission. Works from the
 *   CTHEORY archive may only be reprinted with permission of the
 *   Editors. Email [log in to unmask] for more information.
 *
 * Mailing address: CTHEORY, University of Victoria, PO Box 3050,
 *   Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 3P5.
 *
 * Full text and microform versions are available from UMI, Ann Arbor,
 *   Michigan; and Canadian Periodical Index/Gale Canada, Toronto.
 *
 * Indexed in: International Political Science Abstracts/
 *   Documentation politique international; Sociological Abstract
 *   Inc.; Advance Bibliography of Contents: Political Science and
 *   Government; Canadian Periodical Index; Film and Literature Index.
 *