FW: Reminders and calls for papers

Carole Brooke <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Dec 2004 23:26:18 -0000

 For information....

-----Original Message-----
From: Ann Rippin, SCOS Membership Secretary
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 02 December 2004 17:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Reminders and calls for papers

Dear SCOS Members

Please don't forget that the closing date for abstracts for the 2005
conference is Friday 3 December.  You are warmly encouraged to submit an
abstract. There is a reminder of the call for papers at the end of this
message.

I think that some colleagues were unable to open the attachment about
the Leadership conference in Lancaster and so I have cut and pasted that
below.  If you would like me to email the original document let me know.
Apologies for duplicating information.

I also attach a reminder for the Gender and Methodology Stream at Gender
Work and Organisation, and below is a call for papers for the virtuality
and emotion stream at EGOS.

Best wishes,

Ann

 Call for papers/presentations/other contributions

Research Conference
Centre for Excellence in Leadership
Re-thinking Leadership:
New Directions in the Learning and Skills Sector?

http://www.rethinkingleadership.co.uk/
<http://rethinkingleadership.co.uk/>
Monday, 27th - Wednesday, 29th June 2005 Lancaster University, George
Fox Complex

Leadership in the learning and skills sector has moved up the agenda
following the publication of Success for All.  What effect is this new
emphasis on leadership having on relationships between stakeholders in
the learning and skills sector, such as learning and skills provider
organizations, leaders, managers, lecturers and teachers, students, and
other relevant organizations?

There is a need for a broad-based and critical revisiting, review, and
re-thinking of leadership, leadership research, leadership development,
the themes apparent within the policy framework and the practices these
aim to constrain and promote.
 This conference is intended for those directly engaged with or
otherwise interested in leadership related research and practice.  The
objective is to provide an open, convivial, responsive and respectful
forum where practitioners / researchers / those engaged in both, can
pool insights drawn from their analyses of concepts and practices
associated with leadership in the sector.

In addition to the presentation of papers we would welcome contributions
that will be delivered in ways that promote interaction and dialogue
between delegates, for example that promote discussion, debate, group
work, or that take a workshop, or other format.  We also welcome
contributions that deal reflexively or self-critically with our roles as
researchers, practitioner researchers, teachers, leaders and leadership
developers.

The following questions give a non-exhaustive indication of the types of
issues we would like contributors to address:

*       What does/should 'leadership' mean?
*       What tools, technologies, practices are available for supporting
leadership
and how are they being used?
*       In what ways do the dynamics of and between organizations,
organizational development
and evaluation, support or constrain the development of leadership
practices?

*       What assumptions do we have about leadership?  How do they
affect the learning
and skills sector?
*       Is the emphasis on 'leadership' a help or hindrance within the
learning and
skills sector?
*       How do practitioners 'manage' leadership? Where have all the
managers gone?

*       Is the promotion of leadership, as we currently understand it,
compatible with
that of 'difference' or 'inclusivity'?

*       How are competing values / ethics / interests catered for
through the promotion
of leadership, within policy and the dominant expectations of practice?

We envisage that contributions will fall within one of several streams:

1.      Current Leadership Research - this might include contributions
drawn from
research into leadership related issues in other educational sectors, or
other public or private sector contexts, but certainly will include
contributions from a range of researchers and research groups concerned
with education and skills, as well as updates on CEL based projects.
2.      Practitioner Research - we also welcome contributions from
practitioners engaged
in leadership related research within the sector as well as updates from
projects funded by CEL.
3.      The Policy Framework and Dominant Expectations of Practice:
Influences on
the Role of Leadership in the Learning and Skills Sector - we invite
contributions that illuminate the problems and possibilities of meeting
the objectives these themes mark out, and / or that take a 'longer' or
'broader' view of the role of the learning and skills sector and
leadership within it, both in the UK and elsewhere.
4.      Other Relevant Perspectives - we are aware of the long and
respected traditions
associated with forms of access to learning and skills acquisition other
than those provided, funded or otherwise supported through the state. We
are also aware that the very concept of 'leadership' is not
unproblematic in a number of respects and that alternative less
hierarchical modes of learning provision do exist. We want to set aside
some time and space for ideas and research centered on these and related
issues, and to encourage a reflexive approach to our understanding of
each of our own works and positions within 'the learning and skills
sector'.
 For all these reasons and more, we also welcome contributions that
problematise each of our endeavors in constructive ways that present
alternative views, or that deal with the conflicts of interest apparent
to most research, not least our own.

Submission of Proposals - Send an e-mail attachment with filename
[RC1-Surname, First Name] to the research co-ordinator, Teresa
Wisniewska ( [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ) by Friday 14th January 2005.
Max length, 500 words.  Please indicate which theme you would like to
contribute to and whether you are submitting a proposal for a paper,
workshop or contribution of another format.  Acceptance decisions will
be communicated by Monday 14th February 2005; and completed papers will
be required by Tuesday, 31st May 2005.

Conference Committee:-  Neil Clarke, Steve Fox, Marian Iszatt White, Ron
Kerr, Tara Leach, Kim McGuire, Anjoom Mukadam, Annette Smith, Phil
Watland.

Conference Administration:-  Teresa Wisniewska and Ann Marie Mount

Any queries visit the website at
<http://www.rethinkingleadership.co.uk/>
or contact Teresa Wisniewska ([log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
telephone 01524 594211.

VIRTUALITY AND EMOTION,   EGOS  2005

EGOS 2005 is in Berlin.  SCOS members may be interested in contributing
to the
sub-theme, 'Virtuality and Emotion', convened by Stephen Fineman, Niki
Panteli
and Sally Maitlis.

Application details are on http://www.egos.cbs.dk/

The theme will also be the topic of a special issue of Human Relations
to be
published in 2005, to which participants are also invited to submit.

Virtuality and Emotion:  Sub-Theme 12

During the last few years there has been an overwhelming interest in
virtual
organizing. In contrast to traditional, co-located, work arrangements,
virtual
organizations are dispersed; they have no obvious physical proximity. In
some
virtual organizations, webs of communication technologies link all
workers in
common purpose across space, time and organizational boundaries. In
others, the
links are more fragmented, each worker isolated in their own virtual
space.

In the virtual world, e-mail, web cameras, web logs, video conferencing,
fixed
and mobiles telephones, have become more than adjuncts to ways of doing
business
and relating; they actually 'make' the organization and relationships.
Indeed,
we come to 'know' many of our colleagues, customers, and controllers
primarily
through their representations in cyberspace. 'Relating' and 'the
workplace' are
limited only to where information technology can be installed - and that
poses
few constraints. The home, the car, the kitchen, the train or the beach
can become
the organizational setting. Organizational members can be thousands of
miles
apart, never meet, yet be instantly in communication.

The growth of different, virtual, work arrangements has highlighted the
role
of affectivity of virtual interactions. Virtual organizing challenges
traditional
assumptions about how people bond, trust, and shape their identity; how
they
express their feelings, their power or powerlessness; and how they seek
support
or deal with their loneliness. More broadly, virtual arrangements can be
seen
to offer significant opportunities for worker liberation - as well as
for oppression
and exploitation.

The emotionalities of the virtual workplace take organizational studies
into
relatively uncharted territory. It is a fascinating area. This sub-theme
aims
to bring together and share ideas, theory and empirical work that can
contribute
to our understanding of the area, and begin to sketch out an agenda for
research
and practice.

Theoretical, conceptual and empirical papers are welcome - critical
and/or descriptive.
Possibilities include:
  * The social construction of emotion in the virtual context.
  * Descriptively-rich studies of the emotions of virtual organizing
inter and
intra-organizationally: eg virtual teams, e-business, home working.
  * Conflict development and resolution in computer-mediated
communication.
  * National-cultural issues in the emotional 'usage' of communication
technologies

  * Specific-emotion focussed accounts, such as on trust, fear, and
loneliness.

  * The emotional labour(s) of virtual working.
  * Contours of exploitation and liberation in virtual work.

SCOS xxiii:
Excess and Organization

8th - 10th July 2005, Stockholm

Hosted by the Royal Institute of Technology
www.SCOS2005.org <http://www.SCOS2005.org>
SCOS has never policed strict boundaries, excluded on dogmatic grounds
or limited
participants to predefined mores of inquiry. Neither has SCOS been
concerned
with the bare minimum, or the unending quest for efficiency. It is in
this dynamic
spirit of creation and passion, freedom and abundant intellectual energy
that
SCOS 2005 has chosen "Excess" as its theme. Rather than efficiently
finding the
core competence of SCOS and reengineer it into a slim and slender set of
theorizing,
we therefore want to invite a cornucopia of papers on excess, redundant
layers,
surplus, overabundance, passion, waste and the superfluous.
Regardless of all the talk of an "experience economy" and the
"post-industrial
society", organizations are still often seen as attempts at efficiency.
We may
acknowledge irrationality and various political and social agendas, but
there
still exists a notion that organization would somehow, by logical
necessity,
be about saving resources and creating more efficient systems. At the
same time,
we see a world around us where a multitude of products, services and
unnecessary
activities seem to proliferate. This cornucopia of the excessive has
often been
seen as a fundamental flaw in the modern world, the creation of luxury
for some
while most live their lives in want and squalor. But although such
dismal views
have their place, there is also much more to the notion of excess.
Excess stands for that which is above and beyond the bare necessity, the
barren
land of utility, and harsh puritanism. It can be found in exuberance, in
inebriation,
in obesity. It can be found in redundancy, in emotion, in romance, in
aesthetics.
Everywhere that there is more of something than is absolutely needed,
there is
excess. This perspective has been brought forth in a number of ways, by
a number
of thinkers and writers, but is still seen as a marginal position.
Famously,
Georges Bataille espoused the notion of a "general economy", a theory of
the
economy that builds on waste and excess. Similarly, Marshall Sahlins
argued for
the existence of an "original affluent society", a view on human
development
that turned away from the notion of dearth and lack as the original
human condition.
Johan Huizinga placed the playful Homo Ludens as the primus motor of
culture,
and Michel Serres talked of the Parasite. James March spoke with some
reverence
of "the technology of foolishness", and even old Karl Marx noted the
existence
of luxuries. Several contemporary authors have, in different ways,
commented
on the excess present in modern Western society. People who draw on
evolutionary
theory for inspiration point to the need for massive redundancy in
systems. Innovation
theory notes the number of failures needed to launch a single success.
And what
would marketing be without excess?
Consequently, we can find excess almost everywhere, and in a plethora of
different
constellations. Possible interpretations can be seen in the following
(far from
exhaustive) list:
the excessive organization: from battling organizational anorexia to the
obese
firm
marketing excess or marketing excess?
excesses in leadership: from ebullient leaders to "too much leadership"
excessive management: massive micro-management or management as
performance art?

the economics of excess, the luxury industries, and the business of
frivolity

organizational responses to abundant choice
redundancy in organizations: multiple layers, multiple players
consumption in an age of plenty
accounting for excess: from company picnics to CEO expense accounts
excessive corporations: the good, the bad and the ugly
the ethics of excess
debauchery, decadence and dandies: pre-modern mode or post-industrial
pose?
the general economy: waste and squandering as economic functions
gendered excess? sexual excess? excesses of race and class?
problems of excess: the politics of sharing and scarcity
As always, creative and excessive interpretations of the theme are
invited and
encouraged. SCOS XXIII will also have an open stream, allowing for the
presentation
of papers of a more general interest to the SCOS community.
We also welcome suggestions for workshops or similar events in line with
the
proposed theme. Outlines of proposed workshops should be the same length
as a
paper abstract and should clearly indicate the resources needed, the
number of
participants, the time required, the approach to be taken and the
session's objectives.

Venue: The conference will be hosted by the department of Industrial
Management
and Organization at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm,
Sweden, and
the conference will be held on campus. The campus is centrally situated
in Stockholm,
so that the city center is easily reached on foot. Stockholm should be a
fairly
well-known locale, known for being a beautiful town (particularly in the
summer)
with well-developed infrastructure for adventures of a
cultural/gastronomical/outdoors/clubbing/and-so-on-nature.
Accommodation: There will be a choice of hotels, so that the
participants will
have the possibility to choose according to their individual budget.
Special
attention has been paid to the limited budgets of doctoral students.
Gustafsson and
P.O. Berg. They are supported by a league of young scholars at the
department,
and the support functions of STOCON (the leading conference arranger in
Stockholm).

Abstracts: Abstracts of no more than 500 words should be submitted as
e-mail
attachments (all common formats (e.g.: doc, pdf, rtf, txt, html, gif,
mov, mp3,
xml, and so on) accepted) by Friday, December 3rd 2004 to:
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

E-Mail sent using the Free Trial Version of WorldMerge, the fastest
and easiest way to send personalized e-mail messages. For more
information visit http://www.worldmerge.com

663104