Hotspot Newsletter - JOBS AND EVENTS

Kadija GEORGE <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Jan 2004 03:02:33 -0500

text/plain

Have been trying to send this out since Monday, but stuff just kept coming
in!  Hope it's useful. excuse x postings, please!

Kadija

*CREATIVE WRITER NEEDED IN WARRINGTON- Start  7 February
*WEB EDITOR NEEDED
*ZAMBIAN WRITER NEEDED - to work with children in Zambia
*FACILITATOR FOR TEENAGE GIRLS CREATIVE WRITING AND READING NEEDED
*DIRECTING CHANGE - OPPORTUNITY FOR TRAINEE WOMEN DIRECTORS

EVENTS
*'EXPRESS YOURSELF':Kinetic Poetry / Close Encounters of the vocal kind.-
24 Jan
*FACING LEICESTER SQUARE - 27 Jan
*LOVE INSPIRES - PRE-VALENTINE EVENT - 13 Feb
*MOVING FORWARD?NEW RESEARCH DIRECTIONS IN BLACK AND ASIAN STUDIES -
Conference 21 Feb (register by 11 feb)
*IN BLACK AND WHITE - Seminar on position of Black people in Publishing -
25 February
*SABLE LitMag  - readings for International Women's Week - Tuesday 9 March
*POETRY AND SEXUALITY conference - 1-5 JULY (Call for papers  - by 28 feb)
*LITERATURE AND EXILE  conference - 11-13 june followed by Music festival
23 JUNE - 4 JULY (

*AFRICA IN YOUR TREET - NEW MUSIC WEBSITE

*ARABIC TRANSLATION WORKSHOPs

_______________________

I am looking for a community creative writer/ poet to work with an asian
families group on a project called Journeys.  I have had this project
booked
with an artist for weeks and unfortunately she has had to withdraw.

The project was planned to start  Saturday 7 February.  It
is a collaborative piece with Aware Photographic whereby the group will
come up with a series of text and images that will be displayed on a bus
route
in Warrington.

 The creative writing input will be 1 planning session and 4 face to face
 sessions to produce the written element with the group and alongside Aware
 producing images. Aware will then put them together and produce the
finished product with
the group

contact:Clare Grundy <[log in to unmask]>

*****

I am looking for a facilitator for a teenage (14 years and over) Creative
Writing and Reading Group at Harlesden Library.  They will meet once a
month beginning on 4th March from 6 - 8pm.  Do you know of anyone who would
be able to facilitate this group?   They are a very keen bunch, about ten
of them at the moment.  We can pay L 40 per hour.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions, contact details etc !

Thanks
Anne

*******************
WEB EDITOR
b3 Media are looking for a Web Editor with a good knowledge of Londons
creative arts scene to research and collate information for their new
website and monthly e-bulletin.  The site will be Londons first interactive

arts and entertainments listings website with a multi-ethnic focus.

The candidate should have a flair for producing interesting copy, sharp
editorial judgement and excellent proof-reading ability.

The candidate will be employed on a freelance basis working a 2-3 day week
in close conjunction with the b3/Electric Avenue teams.

For more information contact Marc Boothe at [log in to unmask]

*If there are a Zambian writers in the UK, who is interested in the
possibility of working on a project for a  small charity with children in
Zambi, - encouraging them to tell their stories through drama -
storytelling - poetry etc. please get in touch. Thanks  Kadija

Kadija <[log in to unmask])

The Simkins Partnership: Media and Entertainment Lawyers

UIP and Women in Film and Television are delighted to announce that the
innovative scheme Directing Change is back for its second year!

Application forms can be found on the Women in film and Television website
or by phoning and requesting one from the WFTV office. Please see below for
contact details. The application deadline is 16th February 2004.

Directing Change gives women directors the opportunity to work alongside an
experienced and internationally recognised feature film director during a
forthcoming production. The experience aims to:
 give her an invaluable skillset which will ease her transfer into
mainstream filmmaking and provide her with the best possible platform for
success.
 teach her a broad range of the technical, practical and communication
skills required to prepare and run a good shoot.
 raise her profile in the industry and introduce her to a range of high
quality and relevant contacts.
 give her a level of credibility with producers, financers and distributors
through her association with the scheme.

Two women with proven directorial experience, in any medium, will be chosen
annually and receive financial assistance from Directing Change to cover
expenses during their film work placement.

So go on, dust off your showreels, polish your personal statements and get
those applications in!

Further details on how to apply to Directing Change can be found at
http://www.wftv.org.uk/dchange.asp or by contacting the WFTV office on 020
7240 4875.

EVENTS

Rhyme Time Productions  presents

'Express Yourself' :Kinetic Poetry / Close Encounters of the vocal kind.

At the Jazz Boulevard
3 Peters Street
Altrincham
The new season begins Saturday Jan 24th 2004
Adm three pounds Doors open 8pm

Featuring Buzz Mabrak, Dike, Julian Segun, Chanje and a host of other stars
of the lyrical world.

PAs by Chloe, Joy, Patience.  Open mike info 0161 227 0401  or
Info: 07985 402554

*****
FACING LEICESTER SQUARE
A BBC Drama on Radio 3 production
in association with renaissance one

Tuesday 27 January at 7pm
The Albany Empire, Douglas Way, Deptford London SE8
Free entry by reserving tickets in advance, Box Office 020 8692 4446

Facing Leicester Square is a live event for BBC Radio 3 recorded in front
of
an audience at the Albany and compered by actor and writer Lennie James
(Guy
Ritchies Snatched and C4s Buried).  The event features new writing by
Diran Adebayo and Ferdinand Dennis and performing their own work Mat
Fraser,
Sophie Woolley, Segun Lee-French and Shamshad Khan.  With specially created
music by Paul Gladstone-Reid, co-production by Melanie Abrahams and
production and artistic direction by Topher Campbell.

Inspired by James Baldwins Another Country, this is a journey through the
landscape of one of Londons most famous landmarks at the beginning of the
21st Century. Each writer will introduce you to a new set of characters and
vivid events that will take you straight to the heart of the metropolis.

At the beginning of Another Country, the novels main character, Rufus,
finds himself without love and decides to venture out of his apartment in
search of a new life, come what may.  As he steps out onto 44th and
Broadway
he is confronted by the mass of humanity; people from all walks of life and
many nations going to and fro amidst the immense noise of the city.  He
walks just one block to 45th and Broadway and is faced with one of the
great
iconic crossroads of the Twentieth Century: Times Square.

Facing Leicester Square transposes the themes of the novel to the present
day urban milieu and specifically central London. Six of the best UK-based
contemporary poets, novelists and playwrights respond with their own take
on
the story.

The live show will be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 on 29 February 2004, for
more
information visit www.bbc.co.uk.

Admission is free, to reserve tickets call the Box Office 020 8692 4446
For directions to the Albany visit www.thealbany.org.uk
*
Love Inspires A (pre) Valentines Date

Friday 13th February

@ the New Connaught Rooms, Covent Garden, WC2B

What is the true meaning of the word love?

Join us as we explore this theme through poetry, music, dance, drama and
comedy!

This fun-packed evening is designed for singles and couples alike, so if
youre looking for something different to do this Valentines, this is a
date not to be missed!  The evening starts with a candle-lit meal, and
entertainment from some of the best actors and poets from the BME
community, including poets Alan Charles, Omo Umoru, Da Imej, Cezanne, Dave
Neita and Anthony Passion Ogunmuyiwa (some of whom feature on the Love
Inspires Volume 1 C ompilation CD available o! n the night)  Comedian
Donna Spence will be giving her views on love and relationships, and the
Black Arts Production Theatre will also be giving some tips on The 12 Love
Needs and more

If thats not enough, since poetry is the language of love well be
giving YOU the opportunity to have a go at writing and performing poetry
yourselves, with some FREE taster workshops also happening on the night!

And if that doesnt quite hit your spot, then find someone to mingle with
to love tunes mixed by DJ Peter Andrew from Climax FM (92.9)!

There will also be an Exhibition from black visual artists- this event is
guaranteed to show you the way to love!

Tickets to this exclusive event are only L40 in advance (all inclusive)

L10 in advance (entertainment only)

Credit card bookings: call Ticketmania on 0870 6000 888

For more information and ticket outlets visit: www.loveinspires.com

Or call Carol on 020 8239 1230

Love Inspires is organised by Creative Art Enterprises, a non-profit
making organisation, which aims to promote love through creativity and
provide a platform for artists and poets from the BME community to display
their wealth of creative talents.

Contact: Carol Ann Edwards on 020 8239 1230

Email: [log in to unmask]

Mobile: 07734 238 263

*
BASA CONFERENCE

MOVING FORWARD?
NEW RESEARCH DIRECTIONS IN BLACK AND ASIAN STUDIES

One day conference and BASA AGM

Saturday 21 February 2004
10am (registration) to 5pm

at the
Victoria and Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, South Kensington, London, SW7
2RL
www.vam.ac.uk

As with previous conferences, BASA sees this as an opportunity to bring
together people with a range of enthusiasms for Black and Asian studies
within a British context, particularly regarding the historical presence of

Black and Asian people in Britain.

Speakers will include:
Ian Grosvenor and Sian Roberts: Birmingham Connections: Black British
History
Carolyn Abel: The Northamptonshire Black History Project
Lucy MacKeith: Black people in Devon
Brian Joyce: Victorian Chatham - Black people in a garrison town
S.I. Martin: British Black mariners - an overview
Marika Sherwood: William G. Allen, our first Black headmaster
Jon Newman: Representation of Black people in 19th Century theatre
John Ellis: Teaching Black history

Registration fee: L8 (BASA members and concs); L10 (others);
L15  (institutions)
Fee includes a sandwich lunch.

Contact email:  Caroline Bressey: [log in to unmask]
                Jason Lim: [log in to unmask]

A flyer and registration form are attached as a word document. If you have
any problems downloading the registration form please contact Caroline or
Jason on the email addresses above.

Deadline for registration 11 February 2004

*******************

IN BLACK AND WHITE
a new debate examining diversity in the UK publishing industry
and asking some demanding questions.

'Are people from ethnic minority backgrounds entering publishing and
achieving positions of influence?'
'Does the success of White Teeth and Brick Lane indicate a sustainable
public demand for multiculturally themed literature?'
'And is it still the small culturally specific publishers who drive
change?'

The Barbican Centre, London EC2

7.30pm

Wednesday 25 February 2004.

Tickets L6.00/4.00

Barbican Box Office tel 020 7638 8891, minicom 0207 382 7297

Further Information: Centerprise Literature Development Project 020 7249
6572

In Black and White - The Panel:
Alison Morrison, Head of Marketing, Associate Director at Walker Books.
Elise Dillsworth, Editor at Virago Press, Time Warner Books UK. Patricia
Billings, Director of Milet Publishing. Becky Clarke, recent Submissions
Editor of Heinemann's African & Caribbean Writers Series at Oxford. Kadija
George Sesay, Publisher/Managing Editor of SABLE LitMag, IC3: The Penguin
Book of New Black Writing in Britain. Joy Francis (chair), Journalist,
media consultant and founding-director of The Creative Collective.

Please see attached press release for full details.

Fiona Fieber, Acting Programme Co-ordinator
Centerprise Literature Development Project
28 Norcott Rd, London N16 7EL
020 7249 6572 T

*******************
----------------
SABLE - The LitMag for New Writing
presents readings from three women writers for International Women's Week
on

Tuesday 9 March
@Willesden Green Library, High Road, London W10
8.30pm
with special guest writer and editor, Sheree Thomas, from New York reading
from the award winning anthology Dark Matter - speculative fiction
Maureen Roberts - poet and fiction writer, reads from her new collection,
My GrandMother Sings to Me (Bogle L'Ouverture)
with Tanya Tay - reading her eclectic short stories
The evening is introduced by Sable publisher and writer - Kadija Sesay
Free.
Please call 020 8937 3485 to reservation a place
Part of the WestWords Literary Festival
(Sable Readings are organised by Heather Taylor)

********************
 Poetry conference from 1-5 July 2004 at the University of Stirling,
> Scotland.
>
> Poets and Plenary speakers include Patience Agbabi, Jackie Kay, Liz
> Lochhead, Sharon Olds, Joseph Bristow, Germaine Greer, Esiabi Irobi,
James
> Kincaid, David Punter, and Gregory Woods.
>
> Details on how to apply can be found here
> http://www.poetryconference.stir.ac.uk/
>
> Papers are invited which consider the theme of sexuality in relation to
> poetry from the classical to the postmodern. The deadline for proposals
is
> 28 February.

***
LITERATURE AND EXILE CONFERENCE
> > I thought you may be interested to know about a Conference that will
> > address the theme of Literature and Exile which is taking place this
> > summer at the British Museum.  It is being organized by Cultural
> > Co-operation, an independent London-based arts charity that has been
> > active in international arts and educational programming since 1987.
> >
> > The Conference, titled "In Translation: Displacement and Identity in
> > Diaspora literatures" is due to take place 11-13 June 2004. I am
attaching an outline below.

The Conference forms part of Cultural Co-operation's multi-stranded
3-year programme on Diaspora, that also includes a summer cultural festival
(the Music Village, 23 June-4 July 2004) a 3-year Education programme on
Culture and Migration (funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund till 2006)
and a new digital network for artists of diasporic origin based in the UK -
London Diaspora Capital - now accessible on the Cultural Co-operation
website  (<www.culturalco-operation.org>, see "Find an Artist").

> > The Conference is funded by the Ford Foundation, the Arts Council,
> > England, London and others.  Organizations that have contributed to the
> > genesis of the event to date include: the University of Wales, Swansea
> > (organizers of the Writing Diasporas conference in 2000); the
University
> > of East London; SOAS;  Axial Writers; Exiled Writers Ink; Multicultural
> > Arts Consortium; BBC World Service; and Index on Censorship. Several of
> > these are likely to be  active partners in the event, as is the British
> > Museum.
> >
> > Conference outline:
> >
> > IN TRANSLATION
> > Displacement and identity in diaspora literatures
> >

> > CORE OUTLINE
> >
> > 1   RE-IMAGINING: re-inventions of "home" and self
> >
> > 2   RESISTING: censorship, tradition and fear of the imagination
> >
> > 3   RE-CLAIMING: championing difference in contested spaces
> >

> > EXPANDED OUTLINE
> >
> > IN TRANSLATION
> > Displacement and identity in diaspora literatures
> >

> > 1   RE-IMAGINING: re-inventions of "home" and self
> >
> > a - mother tongues and identity formation
> >
> > b - displacement, survival and the creation of new vocabularies
> >
> > c - imaginary homelands: memory, idealism and violence in the
restoration
> > of "paradise"
> >

> > 2   RESISTING: censorship, tradition and fear of the imagination
> >
> > a - diasporas and the transformation of national identity: how states
> > react
> >
> > b - preserving the family and community: the dead hand of tradition?
> >
> > c - 'celebrating diversity' and other forms of containment
> >

> > 3   RE-CLAIMING: Championing difference in contested spaces
> >
> > a - lingua francas and minoritised languages
> >
> > b - translators and writers as mediators
> >
> > c - self-translations: the private world in the public domain
> >

> > tel 020 7456 0400
> > fax 020 7456 0401
> > email: [log in to unmask]
> > www.culturalco-operation.org

-------------------

Africa on your street homepage
http://naijamelody.c.tep1.com/maabNW3aa3cTdb30CC7e/

In a move that will redefine a new community of African music
enthusiasts, BBC Radio 3 introduces a new website celebrating the
African music scene
BBC Radio 3 has introduced a sizzling website on African music scene
in the UK. Launched on January 1 2004 and aptly named AFRICA ON
YOUR STREET, the new initiative will be anchored by a team of
talented Africans whose interests span music, journalism and
entertainment. They will offer tips on gigs, clips of their
favourite CDs, news from the studio and gossip from the dance floor,
covering styles from AFROBEAT to ZOUK and from laid-back MBIRA to
full-on hip-hop.
The website is also expected to host profiles of the big
international artistes on tour and interviews with a wealth of
African musicians based in the UK. With this development, it is
hoped that a new community of music-lovers will be created thereby
celebrating the UKs rich heritage of African musical traditions as
well as the fresh energy of new styles and fusions being fashioned
out here every day.
Africans are the fastest growing ethnic minority group in the UK and
the third largest ethnic group after Asians and Black Caribbeans.
Yet Africans in the UK have no dedicated service of any kind on BBC
national radio or web. At the same time, the BBCs world music
programmes and websites contain more African music than that of any
other region. AFRICA ON YOUR STREET will bring together this
content in an appealing form.

Check out the website and share in the beauty of a rich cultural
heritage.
http://naijamelody.c.tep1.com/maabNW3aa3cTdb30CC7e/

***********
Exiled Writers Ink!

with Hammersmith & Fulham & Ealing Arts Teams and Libraries

Neither Here Nor There

Exciting Project with the Arabic Speaking Communities of West London

Get Creative and Express Yourself - Translation - Publication of an
anthology

image by Rebwar

8 weekly workshops for Arabic Speakers

With facilitator: Hafiz Kheir

Starting Tuesday 10th January from 11.00 - 12.30

Mandela Room, Palingswick House, 241 King Street, W6

(nearest underground station is Hammersmith)

and

8 weekly workshops for Arabic Speaking Women

With facilitator: Khadija Ait-Ammi

Wednesday 4th February 2004 from 9.30 - 11.30

Northfields Library, Northfield Avenue, W5

(next to Northfields underground station)