Re: Michael Rothenberg

mairead byrne <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:19:56 -0500

text/plain

For your information, a news report + post to Poetics List from Vernon Frazer:

Shelldance Nursery owners' home destroyed
By Elaine Larsen
A lifetime of original and collected artwook, rare books, poetry and
manuscripts literally went up in smoke when fire broke out late Friday
afternoon at the home of Nancy Davis and Michael Rothenberg - longtime
owners and operators of Shelldance Nursery at the base of Sweeney Ridge in
Vallemar.
The sight of the giant plume of thick black smoke rising high above the
highway on the landmark hill startled many commuters who immediately
realized it was coming from the couple's home, nestled in the trees below
the brightly colored, more visible greenhouses.
Firefighters and Police began getting emergency calls about the giant
structure fire at about 4:05 p.m. The phones at the Police Department were
literally ringing off the hook with callers trying to report the blaze.

Although six fire trucks from Pacifica, Daly City and San Bruno raced to the
scene as fast as they could, thick after-school traffic clogged the highway
and slowed them down. Police completely stopped northbound traffic so
emergency vehicles could cross over before the divider to reach the
Shelldance driveway, normally only accessible from the northbound lanes.
Other fire trucks came in from the south, with firefighters laying on the
horn to move aside the path of backed-up cars.
Once on the scene, firefighters faced the problem of getting their hoses up
the steep, twisting driveway. While there are some low-pressure water pipes
at the upper greenhouses, there is no hydrant on the grounds.
"One of the problems we had was that the closest fire hydrant is in front of
the police station. We emptied two complete fire truck hose beds, laying out
1,800 total feet of hose from the hydrant to the house," said Pacifica Fire
Marshal Steve Brandvold. "The remoteness of the house and the time it took
to lay that amount of hose made this a tough fire to battle. And the timing
was unbelievable. It couldn't have been worse. By the time we got on scene,
the house was fully involved."
By the time the 29 firefighters could assemble their hoses and gear, the
fire had already done major damage to the house. It took more than 20
minutes before they could get the fire contained and extinguished.
The flames were largely confined to one of the bedrooms, burning off the
roof and down through the floor. However, thick, black, intensely hot smoke
poured through the enclosed house, charring everything in its path and
leaving grimy black residue on the walls, surfaces and windows. Whole
shelves full of books were burned black on the outside, their pages
crumbling with a touch.
The couple's son, Cosmos, 13, and two high school-age buddies had just come
home from school and discovered the fire. Both the youngsters and Cosmos'
two 12-week-old German Shepherd littermate puppies, Blaze and Layla, were
outside when firefighters arrived.
"We pretty much lost everything," said Nancy Davis, stunned by the enormous
loss. The family is staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Rockaway Beach
while sorting out insurance paperwork and conferring with the National Park
Service, which owns the entire property and buildings and leases to the
couple. A close friend has lent them an RV to park on the grounds to give
them a retreat during the day.
"The Park Service extends its sympathy to Nancy and Michael," said Christine
Powell, spokesperson for the Golden Gate National Recreation Service. "Our
staff is extending our sympathy and support. We want to extend any
assistance we can."
An internal Park Service investigation is underway this week, and Powell
said more information was needed "to determine how best to move forward." A
comprehensive General Management Plan for the GGNRA has already begun, and
it will eventually include a long-term determination for the future of
Shelldance Nursery. "We will look at the future of Shelldance," said Powell.
"But right now, we are concerned for the welfare of Nancy and her family and
how best we can care for them."
"Right now, I'm just trying to get my feet stable," said Davis. "I've had a
devastation, but I have a lot of love around me. People have been so
courteous and thoughtful and that has been the most wonderful thing. It's
really helped keep me together."
Davis and Michael Rothenberg have lived in Pacifica for more than 25 years,
taking over the 1940s greenhouses and cultivating it into Shelldance
Nursery. In their early years, they focused on bromeliads and created what
was once the largest private collection in the United States. in 1995, about
a third of the collection - some 30,000 plants - were purchased by the
government of Singapore to form the core of The Royal Botanic Gardens of
Singapore.
Since then, Shelldance has shifted solely to orchids, although it has been
greatly expanded as both an art gallery and rainforest exhibit that draws
visitors every weekend. Davis frequently hosts school tours and
environmental outreach programs. The National Park Service's Mori Ridge
Trailhead leading up to Sweeney Ridge is at the base of the hill next to the
greenhouses which draw people up the Shelldance driveway by car, foot and
bicycle.
Locally, Rothenberg and Davis are known not only for their work at
Shelldance, but also for their environmental activism as core members of
Pacificans For Mori Point, the grassroots group that pushed for the
protection of Mori Point, the coastal hill directly across from Shelldance.
"They were very key players in Mori Point eventually becoming acquired by
the GGNRA," said former Mayor and close friend, Peter Loeb. "What started
the revolution in this community was a plan for 280 condos on Mori Point.
That lead to a referendum, election of a new majority of the City Council
and the grassroots, Pacificans For Mori Point. Michael and Nancy have
certainly been a focal point for the work to expand GGNRA's boundaries to
include Mori Point. And that nursery is a magical place that draws a lot of
visitors."
Likewise, the couple's home reflected their artistic and environmental
sensibilities. The walls of the spacious living room were literally "a
canvas" for their collective artwork - Davis' paintings and Rothenberg's
poetry and other writings. Cosmos lost his treasured bass guitar, video
games and a prized collection of Buddhas, crosses and other religious
artifacts from his travels, including a memento from a trip to Ireland's St.
Patrick's Cathedral.
"I lost early drafts, manuscripts, whole collections of books," said
Rothenberg, who was away at a poetry reading event in New York when he heard
the devastating news. "The whole house was like a canvas - of my words and
Nancy's pictures. This whole thing is surreal, like being in a dream. Losing
your sense of home and place in the world is a real trauma on a primal
subconscious level. I find myself stopping strangers on the street and
telling them 'my house burned down. Can you believe it?' The only thing
that's keeping us going is the response of our friends. I'm grateful to
everyone for being so supportive."
"This just isn't fair. It's a severe blow and they don't deserve it," said
John Curtis, a longtime friend of the couple who works at the nursery on
weekends. "Nancy and Michael have contributed so much to Pacifica over the
years. I hope the community rallies behind them. They will need all the
support they can get to rebuild and maintain Shelldance as the vital and
human face of the National Park to Pacificans and visitors.
"Nancy has created a warm and welcoming environment of rainforest plants and
orchids. She gives tours to elementary classes, senior groups and orchid
clubs. She even built a stage in the events center to host weddings,
birthday parties and special events. Nancy also created an art gallery to
feature local artists that has been a big success. We get visitors from
every state and from countries around the world."
In fact, what happens next is uncertain since the property - including the
house - is owned by the National Park Service. The property's ownership was
transferred many years ago from Caltrans, which had once intended it for an
expansion of Highway 380, to the National Park Service, a complicated
process that took the intervention of state politicians. Rothenberg and
Davis were able to negotiate a lease agreement with the Park Service that
has been in effect since.
"There is a lot of concern that the Park Service do right by these tenants
and not jeopardize their ability to stay in business, both at Shelldance
Nursery and in their stewardship role as well," said good friend, Ann
Edminster. "Everyone feels the same - we need them to stay there. That land
is a real asset to the Park Service and the fact it has not been vandalized
or dumped on unlike Milagra Ridge is because Nancy is there 24/7 as a
caretakers," she said.
"These aren't just your average citizens losing their average home. They
been stewards of a public resource for a long time and have done a
phenomenal job. There's a mutual benefit relationship between the Park
Service, Shelldance and the community."
Edminster said she and others have already begun talking about ways people
can help. Fire Marshal Brandvold estimates a $400,000 loss of building and
another $100,000 property loss.
"We've had a lot of emails from people willing to lend their help and
skills. But even if their insurance covers the contents of the house, how do
you put a dollar amount of rare book, manuscripts, works of art and
collections of a lifetime. All the living creatures are safe, thank God. But
losing a home is like a sudden and unexpected death. Fortunately, people are
very compassionate. That's the good part."
As for Nancy, Michael and Cosmos, Davis said they're all just trying to keep
it simple for now.
"The first thing that ran through my mind is 'Is my son OK?'" she said. "The
most important thing is we all survived. All this outpouring of support is
giving me inspiration and energy. I look down at my hands and think, I'm
still here. I can do another painting. Like the Phoenix, there is life after
the ashes."
Shelldance Nursery continues to remain open for visitors and customers every
weekend. Ann Edminster has offered to match helpers with needs as the family
identifies them. Email Edminster at [log in to unmask] for more
information. Please do not call.