FW: Barque Nov. 12th

REBECCA SEIFERLE <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:03:33 -0500

text/plain

Sorry all, the real and true date is friday the 12th

november.

thank you.

sam

On Nov 8 2004, S.D. Ladkin wrote:

> A special event organized as part of the

> CAMBRIDGE SERIES

> POETRY READINGS

> BARQUE PRESS LAUNCH

> JOHN WILKINSON - KESTON SUTHERLAND - CHRIS GOODE

> ELIZABETH JAMES - STUART CALTON

> A special event to celebrate five new publications from

Barque Press. A

> large number of Barque publications will be on sale, as

well as our usual

> book stall selling the books of Equipage, Salt Press,

Parataxis,

> Landfill, Rank Zerox and more. Please bring lots of cash.

and see

_

_

> John Wilkinson was born in London in 1953. He grew up in

Cornwall &

> Devon before reading English at Cambridge. He passed a year

at Harvard

> working on the poetry of John Wieners, thereafter training

as a

> psychiatric nurse, and is currently Assistant Director,

Mental Health at

> North East London Strategic Health Authority. During 2003-4

John was

> attached to the Center for the Study of Issues in Public

Mental Health,

> New York, as a Fulbright Scholar. He is married to the

literary critic

> Maud Ellman and lives in Cambridge. His writing is

collected in

> Contrivances (Salt, 2003), Effigies Against the Light

(Salt, 2001), Oorts

> Cloud (Barque, 1999), Flung Clear (Parataxis, 1994), Proud

Flesh (Délires

> and Equofinality 1986) and Clinical Notes (Délires 1980).

His new work is

> Iphigenia (Barque, 2004).

> 'Base to Carry' is the most substantial collection made so

far of

> Elizabeth James's poetry, comprising work in sequences made

between 2001

> and 2003. Previous pamphlets were published by Writers

Forum, Vennel

> Press and Form Books. Recent work has appeared in magazines

including

> Cul-de-Qui, Electronic Poetry Review, The Gig, Masthead and

The Paper.

> She has often collaborated with other poets: 'Neither the

One Nor the

> Other', co-written with Frances Presley, and 'Two Renga',

with Peter

> Manson, were published by Form Books and Reality Street

respectively, and

> several poetry-and-sound works for radio, made with Jane

Draycott, have

> been broadcast on BBC Radio 3 and independent radio

stations (some of

> this work is sampled in Martin Spinelli's 'Radio Radio'

series accessible

> via the Buffalo Electronic Poetry Center). E lives in

London, and works

> daily in the National Art Library at the Victoria & Albert

Museum.

> Stuart Calton is a poet and musician more frequently

visible under the

> name T.H.F. Drenching. He runs Fenland Hi-Brow Recordings

with his

> partner Sonic Pleasure. They release freely-improvised

music and musique

> concrète from an end-terrace called Flat Of Angles, 6 Kersh

Avenue, in

> Levenshulme, Manchester, M19 2SW. Sheep Walk Cut is a

sequence of

> historical poems about Scotland. His new work is a sequence

called The

> Bench Graft, an angular and impressionistic review of the

disgusting

> history of Parliamentary Democracy.

> Chris Goode is a writer, performance maker and musician. In

1999 he set

> up the theatre company Signal to Noise. Since 2001 he has

been Artistic

> Director of camden people’s theatre, and also Associate

Director with

> Unlimited Theatre, which was awarded a Fringe First at the

Edinburgh

> Festival Fringe in 2001, for the show Neutrino. In 2002 he

won a second

> Fringe First for his one-person show Kiss of Life, which

previewed at cpt

> before its run at Pleasance Dome. And in 2003 he took his

production of

> Napoleon in Exile (initially developed at cpt for the 2002

Sprint

> Festival) to an acclaimed run at the Traverse, and

subsequently to a

> London outing at The Drill Hall. He has been described by

The Guardian as

> "one of the most exciting talents working in Britain

today". In addition,

> he has worked widely as a musician and sound artist

(including the duo

> COAT with Jeremy Hardingham, and collaboration with the

installation

> artist Emily Orley). He is the author of Boomer Console,

and Go Portland,

> Or and the new work No Son House, all from Barque Press.

> Keston Sutherland's recently completed his thesis on J.H.

Prynne and

> Philology. He now teaches at the University of Sussex. With

Andrea Brady

> he runs Barque Press, and is the editor of Quid. His work

includes

> Mincemeat Seesaw (1999), [Bar Zero] (2000), collected with

a large number

> of new poems amassed before and since as Antifreeze, all

from Barque

> Press, as well as The Rictus Flag from Object Permanence.

See

_____________

> [...]

> to know.  Are the accidents that have nothing to

> do with my life whatever I want.  Through

> a window the agreement crested in shit-bleed

> the small change in and the metal shelf moves

> back and then forth and cleans it out.

>                  And ground truth

>                  data show the pier

>                  osculates the horizon.

> The shooting deaths at Camp Ganci.  Afterward

> we advanced up to it, that have nothing do

> without my life, over through a square you

> know something about.  Endurance is assured

> with oil torture in and the metal shelf moves

> back and then forth and cleans it out.

>                  You drink too much

>                  I love you

>                  strangely, in spite of it.

> John Wilkinson

> Lady Ghislaine

> A mute compere nods on approach:

> Police business, best we’re cautious.

> When a back office fails to settle,

> the trading arm’s reach exposed,

> drawing down air & spread options

> over the oceans, tup in mandatory

> arbitrage, feast on those margins,

> one lunges dyspeptic after his globe,

> prostrating himself, throws dice,

> picks through a contract. Arches,

> engine-room throb, ear mouse,

> all of you lost in the fume cupboard.

> Whose is that modernising regime

> polices its borders, simply to shrug?

>     Malaysia or Congo.

> Oak-leaf lettuce falls from a plate,

> spurious messages darting over

> a stroke delivery, coarsen its timbre.

>         Tel Aviv. Oslo.

> The door to the cabin buddying up,

> the door to the cabin oddly was

> locked when he stumbled on deck,

> the door to the cabin was monu-

> mental, Ba’athist span, an alembic

> for dirty bombs, declining species,

> bold to exceed or breach the border.

> Our doings outstrip us, & we cops

> out-validate our doings splendidly.

> Splinters clump, a lump hammer

> trifles, doves each with a bleeding

> liver proliferate, shoulder wrenched

> on a gang-rail, currency troughs

> gutted my daughter, not one belch

> or a burp shall escape accounting.

> Shapes loom. Welcome the purpose-

> muddying mouth, farts lit for flares

> alert the inspector: these the spoils,

>             this the spill.

> Elizabeth James

> From 'poem (berlin)'

> There exist buildings, lying, entertainment, division,

> original which sand following folds there sunken feet

> allowed jumble in intricate architecture.

> A healthy height guarded the street interior.

> The cultural tubes allowed the few

> geometric reconstructions and property stones

> to be wrapped and jumbled as spilling half of the way

> to much sunken harmony.

>                                      Facilities and lamps,

> apt responses, change some businesses from the pile

> and behind this past guarded transparency

> view of the gate gone. Mixed with favour,

> glass is rational, the small scale is a nothing,

> the foot house being at the critical point is current with

spilling

> and sunken architects purpose through some trivial

labyrinth.

> [...]

> Love can draw a wince,

> singing out, clear as a bell.

> Chris Goode

> Cot death link to womb dream

>                                 : I am so scared

> of the work ahead   the hands turn   into silt

> & steal away    recall abyssal reach recovery plan

> goes Challenger Deep    & nearly vertical

> how I will hold up    here until the rain bumps

> speed lights skidding abed    a lying night

> a supine brain stem    sand map manganese

> fields    the echo life map of the breath routine

> susceptible gait in a blue technology

> swirl    spot kin    speak utterly hopelessly

> loveliness spiral    brotherly I came down

>                 an infant pigtail macaque compares

>                 two mother surrogates: one is covered

>                 in cloth, the other is a bare wire cage

> soundless wreckage    the living cut    gay

> twins conjoined at the atlas    prejudicial

> seamounts mouthed in retrospect    news of

> beagle failure    cats on the artificial

> prowl    the bow wave    what do they mean by

> window of communication?    millions of

> dinoflagellates mechanically excited by the

> sailors    i’m speaking of before they tidied up

> shortwave possibly    shadow of the weathercock

> what turns round in the mind’s eye

> even her names for me now are spurious

>     leading to functional abnormality

>                 mummy’s brave soldier as the day is long

>                 to go without milk as a token of love

> a dream of a dream of neural fire    the

> monstrous seahorse cut alive cut away

> cut with remorse or baby formula

> glucose    oxyluciferin    mute

> the alarm    a plan for homeland security

> eaten by facial bacteria    you

> unsinkable    then extinct    it turns

> the organ inward or it shrouds in black

> the lanterneye seems to blink    befell

> my image recognition wetware    &

> I came down into the morning

> roll up the sleeve of his long-sleeve t-shirt

> several new cuts this is how we fucking

> talk to each other when the music’s too loud

> interrupted cadence trauma    intercept

> cloak of night    ransacked parietal

> bone for liquor    Olympiad recess

> storage facility down to the wire I

> sleepstalk loss    Jeff Buckley dead at

> 30    spurious    lossless format

> vivisect crowd scene    seed in the palm of the

> fist    little distorted Churchill

> gremlin crept in    colonise the foetal

> breathing pathways    roadmap kept

> with the water locked in the glovebox sleepyhead

>                 two more surrogates: cardboard & fabric:

>                 two fake mothers on fluoxetine payroll

>     one is swinging & the other is still

> regular disruption to the landscape    here’s a

> message from the Taikong Corporation

> bloodshot and snot-streaked    city lights sideways

> bled    Jeff Buckley dead at 24

> Hollywood dream of night pearl    life cut

> Philip Morris NPD gets firebombed

> no sex check on the signal components

> beagles on ice after lights-out    eerie

> calm on the milk-white sea

> Jeff Buckley dead at 22    which

> bewept to the grave did not go

>                 a bonnet macaque slips out to the cinema

usherettes aren’t

> rain band vivisect    fortune brought

> an electric son to pick up & hug

> & tight hold    dear Trieste submersible

> miracle pre-emptive forgiveness deep

> encoded sleepstalk    courtship failure

> flash-train distant    we are experiencing

> problems with sound    somebody spells out

> M-U-M with carnations    vivisect

> lossless    sucking on cloth for nutrients

> ‘Dracula in Memphis’ wound is bleeding

> day & night    no commercial use

>                 silent drizzle on the incubator plane I’m

>                 breeding a sheer pre-Christian syndrome

>                 wake up at midnight desperate for water

> less like the womb    a nation of cold-seep

> tubeworms    we watched Tremors II: Aftershocks

> (S.S. Wilson, 1995)

> Big worm horror starring Michael Gross

> city never sleeps    its aposematic

> son et lumière    we don’t even know we’re

> born    Jeff Buckley dead at 15

> gang-raped by soldiers    vivisect the anomal-

> opidae    is that Intel inside?

> remedial intervention    an exploratory

> surgical procedure    wasted on you

>                 say how will you then Mark Laudenslader

>                 know when your children struggle and tear?

>                 the duck stops dancing when the candle goes

out