Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Newsletter Templates

Log Out

Change Password

Re: Professional Representation; Podiatric Surgery et al.

Alan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>

A group for the academic discussion of current issues in podiatry <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Jul 2004 15:45:57 +1000

text/plain

Ralph
I apologize for the delay in responding to your question of whether I concur with the views expressed by Mark. I have just spent a month in the UK and several days in Dubai so I am afraid responding to emails had to wait until my return to Australia on the 6th July. Whether I agree with all of Mark's comments and views of the podiatry profession in the UK is largely irrelevant and I am sure that Australia would probably not be too concerned about comment on our profession by UK podiatrists. I only comment because I can relate to his philosophies. What I do see in Marks proposals and comment is a sense of frustration for dialogue to discuss areas of professional interest in an effort to achieve desirable outcomes for the future. If Mark's views reflect the views of a large percentage of the Society membership, and I have no way of confirming that, then surely open dialogue with people who go out on a limb because they are passionate about the future of their profession can only be beneficial even if it is to prove that their concerns are baseless.
On a personal basis I am on record in Australia for airing concern that the national body had no education sub committee or that there was no representation from the education sector on the Council. Educational matters were probably discussed but only with State representatives who were almost 100% private practitioners. Due to lobbying of the National Council we now have a Podiatry educators group who do meet to discuss relevant educational matters and the Council has a course accrediting committee who will review each of the podiatry programs in the country. All of this came about due to raising these issues with the Council and clearly demonstrating the benefits to be gained by the profession as a whole.
If change is initiated through dialogue with all interested parties then surely it is worth the effort to do so. I will not presume to speak for Mark but my reading of his emails is to acknowledge his frustration that dialogue is not on the agenda and that the profession is the poorer as a result. If my interpretation is correct, then as in Australia, I suggest there is nothing to be lost and possibly a great deal to be gained by getting interested parties together to try and resolve the areas of concern. Regards, Alan