Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Newsletter Templates

Log Out

Change Password

Re: EVA vs Plastic/Carbon Fibre FFO's: Discuss

Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>

A group for the academic discussion of current issues in podiatry <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:26:54 -0600

text/plain

Eric;
    You are correct in the spelling of Ocham's razor.  I googled it, and got
Achem's, but I did not go to the site.  My bad.
    Re: the physics of calcaneal unweighting, I really don't know how to
explain it better than Howard or I have tried so many times.  Maybe a
refresher in the archives would help you.
    I did not have achilles tendinites, my heel was lifting early and
rubbing the inside of my shoe. More pump bump irritation than anything else.
    I will not argue a static stance position w/ calcaneal valgus... there
are definitely times where a varus post will help these individuals.  But, I
would like to track them w/ the f-scan to see what percentage actually get
better w/ o any need of a varus post.  I don't usually need to use one, key
word usually.
    Finally, show me a paper where assymetry led to a better outcome than
symmetry.  Make sure you show me one that compares both feet, and not only
one foot!  Regardless, Ocham's razor should apply completely with the theory
that symmetry in gait will always be better than asymmetry.  Keep in mind
that even if a patient never reaches true symmetry, if they do become more
symmetrical than where they started before orthotics, they will most
certainly still have diminished symptamatology.
Happy Holidays!
Bruce