Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Newsletter Templates

Log Out

Change Password

Re: Serial Casting for Internal Tibial Position

Anthony Achilles <[log in to unmask]>

A group for the academic discussion of current issues in podiatry <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:51:55 -0000

text/plain

Kevin, Stanley and all,
In regard to my concerns as to where external torques are applied, this may help.

Moreland MS. Morphological effects of torsion applied to

growing bone: an in-vivo study in rabbits. J Bone Joint Surg

1980;62B:230-7.

For internal tibial torsion, some

clinicians claim success in using the Dennis-Brown

splint but there has been no scientific proof of its

usefulness. In the rabbit tibial model, lateral rotation

forces have been shown to lead to angulation of the

cells within the zone of hypertrophy of the physis, but

no cortical remodelling occurs.In a similar rabbit

model, lateral rotation splinting changes the static

foot angle but does not change bone rotation, which

indicates that the 'correction' achieved occurs primarily

through the ankle joint, thus potentially damaging

the ankle joint.

Now I realise it's rabbits!!, but does not the same principle apply?

Tony Achilles