Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Newsletter Templates

Log Out

Change Password

Re: Ignore if you are not a member of SOCAP

Ralph Graham <[log in to unmask]>

A group for the academic discussion of current issues in podiatry <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:19:08 -0000

text/plain

It has been most interesting to view the exchange between Mark Russell
and Jason Nandlal.
I can not deny that I would hope that any policy of the SCP would have
an impact on the whole profession as SCP represents such a large
percentage of the whole. However it would not be sensible to construct
such policy around the views of those who are not members especially
those who could be but choose not to be.
SCP has to deal with the issues that confront it and its first duty must
be to protect its members, those who pay the bills and subscribe. The
govt through the DOH and the HPC has made it clear that it wishes to see
no role for all professional bodies in the approval and monitoring of
training and many other processes, such as the Care Standards Commission
where the official view is that any professional body is in conflict
with public protection.
SCP do not support this view and I believe all other professional bodies
would agree.
We therefore have to construct a plan which takes account of this
position, has an influence in training and registration, worries about
public perception and awareness, talks to govt at the highest level,
talks and influences the plans of the appointed bodies (SHOs, WDCs,
regional assemblies), promotes student applications, protects courses,
expands training, leases with potential and actual employers, insurers,
patient groups and all this with an eye to realistic subscriptions and
the load on an overworked staff.
We co-operate with other professions in the TUC, the Allied professions
forum, public services initiative, international bodies, EU, worldwide.
The national and international trade federations. We have a number of
goals which are in the plan and a number of areas where efforts must be
focussed. This focus is partly based around primary goals and partly
cost. We are in discussions with all those other organisations in the UK
who represent other podiatrists who wish to participate. Whether any
unity can be achieved is too early to say but the aim has been made
clear.
I would not wish to over simplify by suggesting that all members of the
SCP have complete agreement about policy, they do not. We have to try
and balance NHS and private practice, managers and staff, surgeons and
non-surgeons, special interest groups and generalists, everybody in and
nobody in.
In short like every professional body in every country we are a mixture
of views and ambitions that has to be carefully understood and an
attempt made to take as much of the mainstream down any policy road.
Occasionally leaders have to be prepared to be shot at and lead from the
front despite opposition when a particular issue warrant so doing. I
hope I will not be found wanting if that time arises.
One thing that no member of SCP council has to do is to justify policy
to an individual who refuses to give the rest the benefit of his
subscription. He who pays the piper calls the tune may not be how
democracy best functions but those who pay nothing may not request the
band to play.

Kind Regards

Ralph Graham
Consultant Podiatrist