CYBER-SOCIETY-LIVE  2004

CYBER-SOCIETY-LIVE 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

[CSL]: The role of play: Video games with a political message

J Armitage <[log in to unmask]>

Interdisciplinary academic study of Cyber Society <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 May 2004 12:08:31 +0100

text/plain

> The role of play
> Videogames with a political message are being used to win hearts and
> minds. Jim McClellan meets the creators and asks: do they work?
> Jim McClellan
> Thursday May 13, 2004
> The Guardian
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,1214955,00.html
> The bleeping sound tells you you're about to play a variation on one of
> the classics - Space Invaders. But when the graphics appear, it isn't
> green aliens advancing at you, but white blocks with dollar signs on them.
> And you shoot at them with... well, the disembodied head of a smiling
> George W. Bush. Pump enough bullets out of W's cranium and you clear the
> screen to leave the message: "You've saved the country from John Kerry's
> tax plans."
> John Kerry: Tax Invaders <http://www.gop.com/taxinvaders/> isn't the only
> anti-Kerry videogame you will find on gop.com, the web presence of the
> Republican National Committee (RNC). There's also Kerry vs Kerry
> <http://www.gop.com/kerryvskerry>, a boxing game with commentary from Don
> King. It shows the Democrat challenger fighting himself, to illustrate the
> way he has contradicted himself on various issues.
> These games aren't much fun to play, even if you are a Bush supporter.
> Nevertheless, it's significant that a major political party now sees games
> as a useful campaigning tool. Presumably, the RNC thinks Tax Invaders will
> get Bush's economic policy across to "the kids". But it's hard to say for
> certain because, so far, the RNC has not talked about the games to the
> press and they didn't respond to a request for an interview.
> However, others are talking about this new campaign strategy - in
> particular, Ian Bogost and Gonzalo Frasca, two game designers/ researchers
> who contribute to Water Cooler Games <http://www.watercoolergames.org >, a
> blog set up in October to track the development of "video games with an
> agenda". "I believe in this medium as a more efficient means of
> communicating social and political messages," says Bogost. "So I'm
> encouraged when anybody tries it, whatever their political persuasion."
> Unfortunately, the games aren't that good, says Frasca. "They look like
> they were programmed by Bush himself." In particular, Tax Invaders, with
> its South Park image of bullets flying out of George Bush's head, seems
> ill conceived. "Knowing his trigger-happy approach to international
> politics," says Frasca, "this is something that may well backfire."
> Last year, Gonzalo and Frasca created a web-based game for Howard Dean's
> nomination campaign. Players were cast as Dean campaigners, trying to get
> the vote out in Iowa, the first big primary. The idea was to communicate a
> conceptual idea about growing a grassroots movement from the bottom up,
> says Bogost. In the end, 100,000 people played. Feedback was good. "People
> [...]

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html