ENVIROETHICS  2004

ENVIROETHICS 2004

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

For self-containment international agreements

Laboratorio Eudemonia <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion forum for environmental ethics.

Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:18:55 +0100

text/plain

For self-containment international agreements

Letter to the Leaders of the culture
and to the members of your Parliament

An auspicable evolution
replace soon
the sustainable development

From every where, continually, there are appeals to the economical and technological development. Countries, whose economies are the most advanced in the world and that have already gained enormous richeses, continue to pursue at every cost, also at the cost of the war, a further development. Men of government, heads of state, mature persons, often elderly, who in every case should wisely invite to the prudence, to the calm, to the moderation, push whole peoples to a continuous, unrestrained, in the facts disastrous, race for the economical and technological supremacy.

Every human relation inside our societies is being destroyed, and even the more peaceful persons and for their original virtue more disinterested, those who ever would have looked at someone in greedy manner, are incited and conducted by every person at the power to transform themselves in grasping individuals, in harsh competition the one against the other, thrown in a hunting without truce till the last customer, and inevitably lead, because the high level of the same competition, to forget every law, ethics and morals.

A whole planet is submitted to continuous, incessant work of plunder, and the ecosphere, the environment where up to now life had been allowed to us in a relatively easy manner, is about to undergo such transformations, also listening authoritative and unquestionable voices not last that of the same US Pentagon, to make soon reengage us in the more dark of the ages, a time in which the word survival would regain role and meaning of first importance.

And all this while the high demographic density, united to the high economical development and to the high technological level, growing now in exponential manner, is leading the human beings, for excess of energy, to break up more and more the woven of their societies, and, like being molecules of a gas compressed inside of a limited container put on the fire to breed an explosion, to take on more and more the characteristics of the components of an highly explosive tuning.

Why all this?

The authentic reason surely must not be sought in a longing towards the better quality of life, quality that already is drastically reduced, the same life having jeopardized for the frenetic rhythms that the human being is compelled and for the slaughter of the natural world. Nor we can find such reason in the fact that in the most developed Countries still there are poor persons. This certainly does not happens for the insufficient level of the reached economical development, but for a missed fair reditribution of the work, and of the incomes that derive from it, between all the components of society.

And perhaps can we find the authentic reason of the thoughtless pulsation towards a development to the bitter end in the pure desire of taking the well-being in the not yet developed Countries? In any case in the finding of hands at an about worthless cost, in the opening of new markets, and in the exploitation of new territories, to allow the already very rich to enrich even more.

And still can we ever believe that it exists the possibility of a "sustainable development", like at present time conceived, where the variables to be developed are always and only the demographic, economical, and technological ones? It is an attractive invention, certainly, but good only for the fools. If the still developing Countries well will make to leave, as better as they can, their present conditions, we hope in a manner more decorous and evolute than our, quite different will have to be our future development.

We, hyper-developed peoples, have sufficiently richeses to allow us, and therefore we have the sacred duty, to decide a truce to well focus, by reasoning with honesty, the true reason, the sole really valid motive of our unrestrained race for the development, finally well clearly declaring so the most ancient, still irresolved, majestic problem of our societies, and therefore to concentrate ourselves on this problem and to find it the most appropriate, the most right and definitive solution.

It exists, indeed, a really valid reason that has lead us up to now along the road of a demographic/economical/technological development at every cost. This reason consists in the fact that is necessary to avert the real danger of an invasion, may be even only commercial, first, and of a successive total overwhelming of our own Country by any other Country of the world that is able to grow more swiftly and to acquire greater capacity. It is a concrete danger, extremely present, that comes as much from the west as much from the east, that perfectly explains why the Governments stubbornly continue to pursue a growth of traditional mould quite beyond the limit that would be advisable. It is a threat that we must face with the greatest engagement, by beginning to declare openly, continually and spreadly the tragic reality of human things, and taking therefore the due measures.

Rather that to continue to pursue a blind growth of the economy, of the technology, of the population, a type of development that lead in the way it happens today, by obeying to the sole reasons of the defence and of the expansion, cannot end than in damage for everyone of the peoples of this Planet, the already abundantly developed Countries have the duty to leave the old fatuous and impulsive behaviours typical of an adolescent being and to serch for and discover the most full and reflective behaviours of a being by now grown and therefore become mature.

The Governments of these Countries have above all the duty to concentrate their energies in the drafting of indissoluble agreements between the nations, agreements that could lead us to a peace of a conception and a level very superior to that we were up to now able to imagine and to pursue. These agreements should necessarily include rules of demographic, economical and technological self-containment. We must work in order that every Country, in concert, provide itself with constitutional means so that it can maintain inside curbed levels what otherwise, inevitably, would lead to a bulky overflow, may be even only commercial or cultural, first, in the other people's territories. We must institute, with extreme urgency, appropriate rules and international commissions that establish the levels of the various types of development attainable from every Country and with objectivity hold under control the reached levels. Beacuse the peace, in the way we conceive it today, is not more sufficient nor secure, and we need to imagine the manners to reach a more deep, solid and tough peace.

Simultaneously we all have to take awareness and to accept the fact that the populations of our Countries are already numerically excessive as much for the available resources in our respective territories as much for simple but vital reasons of space, the available areas not allowing already today any more, at the present degree of economical and technological development, healthy interactions both inside the society, between individuals, and towards the outside, with the natural environment and the other societies, certainly being destined to extremely worsen by reaching levels of development even more high. We have therefore to await that the populations decrease for the natural cycle of life and to allow that they returne to optimal densities to be established in base to the locally available resources and to the level of development that we will maintain. In this manner, by disciplining ourselves, we will succeed perhaps to avoid that the populations will be instead reduced by wars, epidemies and disasters.

But our general, commune greater engagement has to be an inner development, a deep evolution of ourselves and of our organizations, meaning by this the restructuration of the mental shape of the individual and organizational of the society in a manner that, through the free circulation of the ideas in the brains, and of the persons in and between the social structures, today instead both the architectures being blocked, it could be spread an objectivity, an intellectual honesty, a realism, and similarly a breadth and an organicity of the sight to which a comprehensive capacity of analysis and of effective social interaction cannot but follow, in such a way that every problem, from the smallest to the largest one, absolutely gigantic, planetary, regarding peace, human rights, distribution of the work, environment or whatever other, be lead to a full, sudden and definitive solution, so that our well-being and our potentialities will result automatically at least decoupled, even without apply to a further material development, with total satisfaction therefore of every single component of our societies. Because we ourselves are, and above all our habits are, at the origin of our problems, and only ourselves, by evolving, can find them a solution.

It is necessary to ponder on the fact that the progress we need today resembles a lot to the second phase of a bipolar process, like for example the breath. After a long, very long phase of inspiration, after having absorbed in our society richesses without end, by discovering, creating, inventing, building, in an increasing whirl of activities of every type and value, often positive but many times also negative, now we should engage ourselves in a careful phase of expiration, during which we can expel all the toxins and the noxiouses that previously, for the hunger and the urgency, we have not minded. This must be done, if we want have the possibility of a further breath.

And these are the true, most important challenges of our epoch: on the base of more persuaded, decided, resolute agreements of peace, on the base of adequate principles and rules of self-containment, on the base of an individual and social evolution it will be determined our destiny. By so doing, without suffering the smaller pain except that, derisory, of our stupid childish pride that still obstructs the change and the taking of more mature decisions, on the contrary widely enjoying and rejoicing for the new opportunities that so will present us, we all can definitively win the race for the development.

Madame, mister, today conventional choices would make us to go right there where the reality deviates and would throw us outside the road, in the precipice. And too, if we wanted repair the social machine while is in full gear we would fail sensationally, only the healthy organism being able to develop itself without seing to grow also its evil.

The exceptional times in which we live ask for as much exceptional choices. In order humanity can surpass unhurt this time, we need persons able to do, and to concentrate their energies on, these brave choices.

If we still do not have the necessary courage, would we, humbly, begin to find it?

With my best regards,

Danilo D'Antonio

Eudaemony Laboratory
Via Fonte Regina, 23
64100 Teramo - Italy

The Demographic Issue
http://demographic.hyperlinker.org

Towards an Harmonic Social Rotation
http://harmonic-social-rotation.hyperlinker.org

Letter to the Leaders # Version 1.1.4 # 07-06-35