Media Lens

David McKnight <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:35:01 +0100

text/plain

MEDIA LENS: Correcting for the distorted vision of the corporate media

October 14, 2003

MEDIA ALERT: UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Postbag Curios And Surprising Silences

We receive many interesting, even amazing, responses to our work from the
mainstream media. Journalist John Sweeney recently published a letter in the
New Statesman in response to one of our articles. The letter began:

"David Edwards and David Cromwell of MediaLens - a fancy name for two
moonlighting clerks from the White Fish Authority or some such aquatic
quango..." (Letter to New Statesman, September 22, 2003)

We believe that Sweeney is the only person alive who has any idea what this
means.

Rejecting our proposal for a Media Lens book, a publisher wrote to us:

"And, beyond the editorial concerns, there is also the question of how we
would get coverage for the book when most of the normal routes for
announcing publication would, presumably, be closed."

Our reply:

"To which we can only respond that the book is about the fact that books of
this kind are unable to get coverage because most of the normal routes for
announcing publication are, presumably, closed!"

The BBC's political editor, Andrew Marr, sent a typically colourful response
to one of our readers who challenged his claim that UN inspectors had been
"kicked out" of Iraq in December 1998:

"Dear [Name Deleted].

If I am in your house, made to feel unwelcome and not allowed to wash or pee
(not likely, a metaphor) and then, as a result, leave, you might be
technically able to say that I had not been "kicked out" - no leathered toe
had been applied to my rear. But I might well use that phrase. Here as I
understand it, is the sequence of events in 1998. I don't think my phrase
increases the likelihood of war and will continue to try to report fairly on
a subject where - I assure you - I don't feel or act as a mouthpiece of the
Blair govt.

Many thanks for writing,

Andrew Marr" (Forwarded to Media Lens, January 21, 2003)

In fact, as Media Lens readers will know, under intense US provocation there
had been problems with 5 out of some 300 inspections prior to the withdrawal
of UN inspectors in December 1998. By that time, Iraq had been disarmed of
90-95% of its weapons of mass destruction.

on media performance, Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger wrote to a reader:

"Haven't read it yet. If this is the one that suggests that the guardian
suppresses stories about climate change because of commercial pressures it's
rubbish ..but I'll get round to reading it at some point" (Forwarded October
12, 2003)

Mainstream put downs of this kind are of course like the air we breathe, and
fashioning a lame version of an argument, and then casually dismissing that
version, is a convenient response. On the face of it Rusbridger is of course
correct: surely the world doesn't work this way. We have visions of a
frantic, purple-faced Rusbridger cornering environment editor John Vidal,
saying: "We can't publish this, have you lost your mind? Think of the
advertising!"

But to return to the real world - or at least to hypothetical realities -
imagine if the Guardian really did decide that climate change was a serious,
perhaps terminal, threat to the continuation of human life; that urgent
attention needed to be drawn to the causes of the problem: insane and
accelerating levels of consumption of fossil fuels and other natural
resources, and corporate obstructionism empowered by business domination of
politics, media and the culture generally.

Imagine if, as a part of this campaign, Guardian editorials denounced the
biocidal values of corporate consumerism - as the alternative green press
has been doing for years - and exposed the pernicious impact of endless
press and TV adverts, including car adverts.

Imagine if Adbusters were recruited to regularly print their
'subvertisements' alongside regular car ads as a balance to the manipulative
nonsense of so much corporate propaganda. Would it be wrong or absurd to
provide this kind of balance in advertising, when balance in news and
commentary is supposed to be a passionately held ideal?

How would an extensive, no holds barred campaign of this kind impact on
advertising in the Guardian? The evidence suggests it would be a major
problem for advertisers who, as we know, "don't generally run airline ads
next to stories about airline crashes".

Some of the most interesting media responses to our letters and Media Alerts
take the form of silence. Consider the exchange below with leading pro-war
journalist David Aaronovitch of the Guardian. Aaronovitch has generated a
ceaseless stream of copy this year chiding and mocking the naivety of
anti-war campaigners. He has always been keen to respond to challenges and
has often vigorously challenged others to respond to his points - if they
are able.

We wrote to Aaronovitch on October 3:

Dear David

Hope you're well and still enjoying our message board. In April you wrote on
Iraq's alleged WMD:

"These claims cannot be wished away in the light of a successful war. If
nothing is eventually found, I - as a supporter of the war - will never
believe another thing that I am told by our government, or that of the US
ever again. And, more to the point, neither will anyone else. Those weapons
had better be there somewhere."

Hans Blix said recently: "If anyone had cared ... to Study what UNSCOM was
saying for quite a number of years, and what we [UNMOVIC] were saying, they
should not have assumed that they would stumble on weapons." He has also
said: "I don't think anything will come to light in Iraq that will justify
the invasion."

In terms of never again believing a word the government says, given the Iraq
Survey Group's report, are we there yet? Do you agree with Blix, for
example?

I also noticed your comment recently in the Observer:

"In the bookshops I visit the politics sections are dominated by Chomsky and
Pilger (the negative Marx and Engels of the new far-Left)..."

Could you explain what you meant by this? In what ways are they like Marx
and Engels? What do you mean by "the new far-Left"? And why "negative Marx
and Engels", as opposed to positive Mark and Engels?

Best wishes

David Edwards

Aaronovitch, as is often his way, responded promptly on the same day,
October 3:

Hi David
And through you (if you don't mind) [Name Deleted], whose own message -
after a period of silence - turned up spookily just before yours.
You quote me directly and accurately. Allowing for the "eventually" and for
an inevitable disagreement between you and me about what would constitute
sufficient WMD, I stand by these words.
I have a caveat - though not much of one, which is that it is quite possible
that ministers told the truth as they were told it by the intelligence
services. I would still want a full Franks-style inquiry, to establish where
the fault lay. But an absence of WMD MUST be explained or trust will be (is
being) forfeited.
The Blix quotes are slightly beyond the point. SH was still in long term
breach of mandatory UN resolutions and we may be left - at the end of this -
wondering why. We are not there yet.
However your theological attention to detail will have revealed to you that
my reluctant support of the war (reluctant in that I would have much
preferred clear UN backing) was not based on WMD, about which I said I was
agnostic, but on the need to get rid of Saddam Hussein. The test of that
position will be in what happens in Iraq over the next year or more. If Iraq
is a relatively stable democratic country with civil institutions and a
cacophonous political life then I will think myself vindicated a hundred
times over. And under those circumstances you may want to review your own
voluminous writings. If it is a basket case, then I will have been terribly
wrong.
On NC and JP, what I mean is - I think - fairly self-evident.  Both are
treated as though they were fountainheads of truth by many of their
supporters. The very fact that you choose to raise this particular point
rathewr than another is something of an illustration of this. "Negative" in
that M&E posited an alternative, and mapped it out (albeit slightly
cursorily). If you are aware of NC and JP doing the same, I would enjoy
hearing about it because I seem to have missed it.
Enough. Keep well and maintain your effort to keep the A-Semites at bay. On
which subject particular regards to [Name Deleted] and all his other friends
on the David Irving site.
Yours,
David A

This was an amiable and frank reply from Aaronovitch. We were pleased to see
that he had at last recognised that we do not tolerate anti-Semitism, or any
other form of hatred and abuse, on our website (see our Media Alert:
'Playground Journalism - David Aaronovitch of The Guardian Smears Media
Lens', May 29, 2003, www.medialens.org).

On October 4 we sent the following reply but have since heard nothing back.
Genuinely fearing email problems our end, we made sure the email got through
by re-sending it on October 7:

Hi David

Many thanks for your prompt reply, much appreciated. You say that you have
"a caveat", which is that "it is quite possible that ministers told the
truth as they were told it by the intelligence services". Do you really mean
that some three years after inspectors left Iraq the intelligence services
suddenly started turning up evidence of "a current and serious threat" in
late 2001 or early 2002?