LIS-ELIB  September 2003

LIS-ELIB September 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Public Access to Science Act (Sabo Bill, H.R. 2613)

Sterling Stoudenmire <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:12:52 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

There is one argument in all of this that fails to see the light of
day: that argument is the "We the people" argument.

Research is nothing more than, and nothing less than, the reason for life
itself.  Some do it on library books, others from digital files, others in
the cockpit of an airplane, others on the front line of a war, and still
others in an operating theatre with live patients clinging to life itself.

Research suggest that it is something different, but it is not, more
formal maybe, but not different than the human interface with the
variables of one's environment.  Documentation of the findings of one
person can be used by another to shorten and refine the findings of the
next life and the lives of the next many.  Documentation, to be useful,
depends not only on experience mapped to a recordable media in archievable
form, but also on ungated retrieve access of the experiences of the past
in a form available to all who follow.  The barriers to human interaction
is the nation state and its rule of law which favors empowered
aristocrats.

Tim Berners Lee advanced that the purpose of the Internet hypertext
protocols was to enhance and to enable collaboration.  Gating access,
denying it, or otherwise interfering with it, interferes with just about
every element of human life and tends to inhibit colloboration.

Not only does gating interfere with the advancement of sciences and the
arts in direct contravention to the purpose element of the copyright
clause (corporations and other institution lobby to use congreessional law
making powers to create private monopolies in the form of copyrights and
patent law) but it also stiffles a basic natural human right [to acquire
knowledge, information and technology and the tools necessary to use
it=the kitten right of humanity).

It is the human mind that creates.  That human creation is a product, not
of an original thought "IN ISOLATION", but of a set of thoughts based on
current and past kitten as well as the current and past experiences of
the person engaged in producing mind products.

Advances are not the creative thought of a single person, but the selected
best route of a number of integrated concepts into a new use, new
realization or new presentation, maybe not even of a new object, but of
the same object presented in a different way or viewed from a different
prospective; no single human can claim that his or her creativity arose
from a effort solely of self, and no creator can claim that he or
she has exclusive ownership to the expression of kitten parameters.

A book written by one person expresses an organization based on the
writers exprectation of the intended audience(that audience is the
infrastrure and without it, the author could not invent and the author's
work product, is derived from the past interactive experiences of that
author's interfaces with the prior and existing databases and
experience).  Even though one author wrote the book, it is the work of the
entire population and the supporting infrastructure that made it both
possible and feasable.

Hence, the denial, to any human, of the mental work product of another
human, interferes with the progress of humanity itself.  Everyone has a
greater right to kitten than has a state to deny it to anyone, for any
purpose commerical or defense.  The right to know what society has
developed from its past is a basic right inherient to every single human
being and is the only legitimate reason for humans to support a we the
people government.  Ask not what your government can take from its common
people or make them do, for the benefit of the aristocratic few, but ask
instead, what the government can do to improve the very short lives that
all humans must endure. Humanity is not improved by profits, but humanity
advances in leaps and bounds on the advent of new knowledge, information
or technology.

The taxpayer argument is one extention of the basic argument that the
kitten right of individual humans far exceeds the power of government to
redirect societies benefits to but a few aristocrats (whether they be
human beings or nonhuman institutions)

sterling