Re: inform, to

"Saunders, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion of Welsh language technical terminology and vocabulary <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:06:42 +0100

text/plain

-----Original Message-----
From: Gwen Rice [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 August 2003 14:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: inform, to

Yr ymadrodd yw 'to inform the recruitment process'. Dwi'n deall mai rhywbeth
tebyg i 'rhoi gwybodaeth am' yw'r ystyr, ond a oes berf neu ymadrodd Cymraeg
cyfatebol am fod yr ymadrodd Saesneg yn codi'n eithaf aml?
Diolch
Gwen
---------
Wele'r hyn sydd gan Eiriadur Rhydychen i'w ddweud.

Tim

    I. To give form to, put into form or shape.

    1.    a. trans. To put into (material) form or shape; to form, shape,
frame, mould, fashion. Obs.

  1590 SPENSER F.Q. III. vi. 8 Infinite shapes of creatures..Informed in the
mud on which the Sunne hath shynd. 1621 BURTON Anat. Mel. II. iii. v. (1651)
345 If he found her, he may as happily find another; if he made her..he may
as cheap inform another. 1643 SIR T. BROWNE Relig. Med. I. §35 And so
Omniety informed Nullity into an Essence.

    b. To put into proper form or order, to arrange; to compose (a writing).
Obs. to enforme the pes (OF. enformer la pais), to compose or make peace.

  c1330 R. BRUNNE Chron. (1810) 285 ider..com e tresorere..at had bien
messengere With e Cardinalle forto enforme e pes. 1382 WYCLIF 1 Chron. xii.
33 Of Zabulon that..stoden in the scheltrun, enfourmed in armys of batail.
a1400-50 Alexander 2751 A pistill he enfourmes, Wrate a writt of his will,
so sendis to his princes. 1523 LD. BERNERS Froiss. I. xxxix. 53 He enformed
his somones, and sent..to kepe the towne and fronters..agaynst his ennemies.
c1646 CRASHAW Poems, Music's Duel 87 Awakes his lute, and 'gainst the fight
to come Informs it. 1654-66 LD. ORRERY Parthenissa (1676) 763 By that time I
had informed these Resolutions, and dispatched these Expresses.

    c. To delineate, sketch, describe. (A Latin sense.) Obs.

  1615 CHAPMAN Odyss. I. 1 The man, O Muse, inform, that many a way Wound
with his wisdom to his wished stay.

    2. intr. To take form; to form or be formed; to appear in a visible
shape. Obs.

  1588 A. KING tr. Canisius' Catech. 223 The Charitie of God is powred forth
in thair hartes..and informes or inhæres in the same. 1605 SHAKES. Macb. II.
i. 48 It is the bloody Businesse, which informes Thus to mine Eyes. 1652
News fr. Lowe-Countr. 1 When, first, the first confused Masse Did, from its
mish mash medley, passe To those four segregated forms, Whose re-commixture
now informs.

    II. To give 'form' or formative principle to: see FORM n. 4. (From
Scholastic L. informare: Petrus Lombardus, etc.)

    3. a. trans. To give 'form', formative principle, or determinative
character to; hence, to stamp, impress, imbue, or impregnate with some
specific quality or attribute; esp. to impart some pervading, active, or
vital quality to, to imbue with a 'spirit'; to fill or affect (the mind or
heart) with a feeling, thought, etc.; to inspire, animate.
  (The first quot. may belong to b; the second appears to contain the sense
'to furnish with a practical example, to illustrate'.)

  c1380 WYCLIF Sel. Wks. I. 115 us bi greetnesse of fei enfourmed wi charite
ben siche soulis maad hool. c1425 St. Christina xv. in Anglia VIII. 125/25
At at be shewed wi ensaumpil, wee enforme hit at wee haue seyde, wi a dede
of Cristyne. 1607 SHAKES. Cor. V. iii. 71 The God of Souldiers..informe Thy
thoughts with Noblenesse. 1646 SIR T. BROWNE Pseud. Ep. II. ii. 61 If an
iron be touched before..it admits not this magneticall impression, as being
already informed by the Load-stone. 1711 ADDISON Spect. No. 13 6 Could
they..inform their Faces with as significant Looks and Passions. 1758
BLACKSTONE Study of Law in Comm. (1765) I. 37 [To] inform them with a desire
to be still better acquainted with the laws and constitution of their
country. 1842 TENNYSON Day-Dream, Sleeping Beauty ii, Her constant beauty
doth inform Stillness with love, and day with light. 1861 MILL Utilit. ii.
32 The Christian religion is fitted to inform the hearts and minds of
mankind with a spirit which should enable them to find for themselves what
is right.

    b. Said of the quality or principle: To be the 'form' or formative
principle of; to give a thing its essential quality or character, to make it
what it is; to pervade as a spirit, inspire, animate.

  1432-50 tr. Higden (Rolls) I. 33 When feithe and grace of sacramentes
informede the life of theyme [Cristen men]. 1605 CHAPMAN Al Fooles I. i,
Without loue..All vertues borne in men lye buried, For loue informes them as
the Sunne dothe colours. 1667 MILTON P.L. III. 593 Not all parts like, but
all alike informd With radiant light, as glowing Iron with fire. 1771 Muse
in Miniature 144 This scull might once contain Some rich materials for the
lofty strain, Enform'd, enrapt with more than mortal fire. 1814 CARY Dante,
Paradise VII. 132 The elements..and what of them is made, Are by created
virtue inform'd. 1821 SHELLEY Prometh. Unb. I. 249 Speak the words which I
would hear, Although no thought inform thine empty voice. 1871 M. B.
BETHAM-EDWARDS Sylvestres II. ii. 38 Even in..happy England the spirit of
caste informs the very breath and life of the nation.

    c. spec. Of a soul or life: To impart life or spirit to; to inspire,
animate, actuate.

  1606 L. BRYSKETT Civ. Life 129 His opinion..that the soules were created
in a certaine number, to the end they might informe so many bodies. c1611
CHAPMAN Iliad XXII. 311 A soul of iron informs thee. 1643 SIR T. BROWNE
Relig. Med. I. §12 If one Soul were so perfect as to inform three distinct
Bodies, that were a petty Trinity. 1677 GALE Crt. Gentiles III. 105 Plotinus
and Hermes Trismegistus tel us 'that Images were made as bodies to be
informed by Ghosts as with souls'. 1700 PRIOR Carmen Sec. 403 Long as Breath
informs this fleeting Frame. 1805 WORDSW. Prelude IV. 167 How the immortal
soul with God-like power Informs, creates, and thaws the deepest sleep That
time can lay upon her. 1878 B. TAYLOR Pr. Deukalion II. iv. 81 By one soul
Informed.

    III. To give form to the mind, to discipline, instruct, teach (a
person), to furnish with knowledge.

    4. trans.    a. To form, mould, or train (the mind, character, etc.),
esp. by imparting learning or instruction; hence, To impart instruction to
(a person), to instruct, teach (in general sense); to advise (quot. 1330).
Now rare.

  c1330 R. BRUNNE Chron. (1810) 315 o ilk men so wise suld go, and enforme
zour kynges, Withouten mo justise or trauaile of oer lordynges. a1340
HAMPOLE Psalter xxxi. 10 Vndirstandynge i sall gif till e, and i sall
enfourme e [instruam te]. c1440 Promp. Parv. 261/2 Informyn, or techyn,
informo, instruo. c1450 tr. De Imitatione III. vi. 70 Visite me, lorde, ofte
tymes, & enforme wi disciplines of konnyng. 1514 BARCLAY Cyt. & Uplondyshm.
(Percy Soc.) p. lxxii, His sight infourmeth the rude and ignorant. 1526
TINDALE 1 Cor. ii. 16 For who knoweth the mynde of the lorde, other who
shall informe hym? 1589 NASHE Almond for Parrat 10a, The nouice that comes
to be informed, desireth to enforme others, before he bee enformed himselfe.
1621 BURTON Anat. Mel. I. ii. IV. ii. (1651) 145 That leaves his son to a
covetous Schoolemaster to be informed. 1794 GIFFORD Baviad 270 So may thy
varied verse, from age to age Inform the simple, and delight the sage. 1824
G. W. DOANE Hymn, 'Thou art the Way' ii, Thou only canst inform the mind.
1878 MORLEY J. De Maistre in Crit. Misc. 137 To guide and inform an
universal conscience.

    b. To train or discipline in some particular course of action; to
instruct in some particular subject, doctrine, etc.; to teach how to do
something. Const. of, to, in, with, or with inf. or subord. clause. Obs.

  c1320 R. BRUNNE Medit. 238 In e secunde ou mayst se How he enformed hem yn
charyte. c1374 CHAUCER Boeth. I. pr. iii. 6 (Camb. MS.) Oonly for they
weeren enformyd of myne maneres. c1375 Sc. Leg. Saints, Nycholas 55 His
fadir..Gert informe hyme besyly In liberale hartis sutely. 1382 WYCLIF Dan.
xii. 3 Thei that lernen [gloss or enfourmen] manye to ritwijsnesse. c1400
Destr. Troy III. heading, Medea enformed Iason to get the fflese of Golde.
a1529 SKELTON Replyc. Wks. 1843 I. 209 They were but febly enformed in
maister Porphiris problemes. 1529 MORE Dyaloge I. Wks. 132/2 He nedeth not
our aduice to enforme hym what thing were sufficient occasion to worke hys
wonders for. 1589 PUTTENHAM Eng. Poesie I. xxvi. (Arb.) 67 Musicians..by
good admonitions enformed them to the frugall and thriftie life all the rest
of their dayes. 1607 HIERON Wks. (1624) I. 334 First, to teach vs to eschew
Euill, and then to enforme vs how to doe good. 1736 BUTLER Analogy II. viii.
393 Nor are we informed by nature, in future contingencies and accidents.

    c. To give instructions or directions for action; to instruct, direct,
bid (to do something). Obs.

  c1380 WYCLIF Sel. Wks. III. 351 And ei enformen er cuntreis to holde
stifli wi er pope. 1390 GOWER Conf. III. 229 To done as he was last
enformed. c1449 PECOCK Repr. I. xiii. 66 Enformyng and tising ther to
vnsufficient[l]i leerned clerkis. 1645 E. PAGITT Heresiogr. (1661) 201 But,
the voice from Heaven enformed him otherwise. Bade him, Rise, kill, eat.
1740 SHENSTONE Judgm. Hercules 268 And gentle zephyrs..For thy repose
inform..Their streams to murmur and their winds to sigh.

    d. To direct, guide. Obs.

  1634 MILTON Comus 180 Where else Shall I inform my unacquainted feet, In
the blind mazes of this tangled wood? 1671  Samson 335 If old respect..
hither hath informed Your younger feet. 1846 KEBLE Lyra Innoc. (1873) 129
Strange powers their course inform.

    5. a. To impart knowledge of some particular fact or occurrence to (a
person); to tell (one) of or acquaint (one) with something; to apprise.
Const. of, about, on, or with subordinate clause; rarely with, in, or second
obj. The prevailing modern sense.

  c1386 CHAUCER Sqr.'s T. 327 Enformed whan the kyng was of that knyght.
c1400 Destr. Troy 3011 He was enformyt before of at fre lady, at ho to
Castor..accounttid was euon, And to Pollux, pure suster. 1529 MORE in Four
C. Eng. Lett. 11, I am enfourmed by my son Heron of the loss of our barnes.
1548 HALL Chron., Hen. VIII 141b, Some have enformed me that my realme was
never so riche. 1651 BAXTER Inf. Bapt. 116 They were enformed that Paul
taught the dispersed Jews not to circumcise their children. 1655 FULLER Ch.
Hist. IX. ii. §34, I have for that cause informed the Bishop of Dublin with
all mine occurrences. 1713 ADDISON Cato V. i. 24 This in a moment brings me
to an end; But this informs me I shall never die. 1718 LADY M. W. MONTAGU
Let. to Mrs. Thistlethwayte 4 Jan., I would gladly be informed of the news
among you. 1775 SHERIDAN Rivals Pref. p. viii, For on subjects on which the
mind has been much informed, invention is slow of exerting itself. 1787
William of Normandy II. 10 Soon were they informed the deceitful cause. 1841
D'ISRAELI Amen. Lit. (1867) 360 Ascham informs us that..Elizabeth understood
Greek better than the canons of Windsor. 1841 LANE Arab. Nts. I. 85 He
informed him who he was. 1860 TYNDALL Glac. I. ii. 13 We were informed of
the descent of an avalanche by the sound. 1863 G. MACDONALD D. Elginbrod
III. III. x. 170 Do not hesitate to inform us on all possible subjects. 1880
DISRAELI Endym. II. lxi. 255 It must be a mind..fairly informed on the
questions involved in the wealth of nations. 1888 MRS. H. WARD R. Elsmere
III. xliii. 254 The Frenchman..had been informed about him. 1944 P. CHEYNEY
They never say When xi. 172 It seems an amazing thing that you didn't inform
someone about this. 1963 S. BRORSTRÖM Increasing Frequency Preposition
'About' VIII. 323 'Inform about' is an accepted construction in sentences
like 'Did he inform you about it?', 'I wasn't informed about it', i.e. in
sentences where the preposition is followed by it.

    b. spec. To furnish (a magistrate or the like) with accusatory
information against a person. (Cf. INFORMATION 4, 5.)

  1526 TINDALE Acts xxiv. 1 Ananias..with senioures, and with a certayne
oratour named Tartullus,..enfourmed the ruelar agaynst Paul.

    c. With quoted words as object.

  1877 My Mother-in-Law xii. 112 'Baby is not very well, Charlie,' Bessie
informed me. 1881 MRS. J. H. RIDDELL Senior Partner I. xiv. 290 'Ye're out
of your mind, Janet,' Mr. McCullagh informed her.

    6. refl. [= F. s'informer] (from 4 and 5). To gain knowledge,
instruction, or information; to acquaint oneself with something; to get to
know, to learn. Const. as in 4 and 5.

  1611 SHAKES. Wint. T. II. i. 167 Informe your selues, We neede no more of
your aduice. 1623 GOUGE Serm. Extent God's Provid. §15 The Bishop of
London..sent to me to inform myself thorowly of the whole businesse. 1697 W.
DAMPIER Voy. I. 114 They confessed that they came purposely to view our
Ship, and..to inform themselves what we were. 1747 in Col. Rec. Pennsylv.
(1851) V. 84 To inform myself how you do and what passes among the Indians.
1775 C. JOHNSTON Pilgrim 208 The motive..was to inform myself particularly
in the laws. 1861 M. PATTISON Ess. (1889) I. 36 Edward..requires his
ambassador to observe the young prince, and to inform himself of his
character and disposition.

    7. absol. or intr.    a. To give information; to report. Obs.

  1605 SHAKES. Macb. I. v. 34 Is not thy Master with him? who, wer't so,
Would haue inform'd for preparation. 1656 STANLEY Hist. Philos. IV. (1701)
134/1 They held that the Senses inform not always truly. 1683 LUTTRELL Brief
Rel. (1857) I. 287 Letters from Hungary inform of the good news of the
emperors forces..haveing taken Gran.

    b. To lay or exhibit an information, bring a charge or complaint
(against, rarely on).

  1586 A. DAY Eng. Secretary II. (1625) 122 Sinisterly to speake, or
otherwise to enforme against them. 1588-9 Act 31 Eliz. c. 5 §3 Any suche
officers of recorde, as have..heretofore laufullye used to exhibite
informacions, or sue upon penall lawes..may informe and pursue in that
behalfe, as they might have done before the making of this Acte. 1605
SHAKES. Lear IV. ii. 93 'Twas he inform'd against him. 1766 GOLDSM. Vic. W.
xxi, Even though it may benefit the public, you must not inform against him.
1809 R. LANGFORD Introd. Trade 9 Parties have reason to fear being informed
against. 1884 SIR J. C. DAY in Law Rep. 14 Q. Bench Div. 201 It seems to me
doubtful whether the Crown can appoint anybody to go into Court and inform
other than the Attorney General. 1889 BOLDREWOOD Robbery under Arms xxiv,
Somebody had informed on the man.

    IV. To instruct in (a thing), impart the knowledge of, make known.

    8. trans. To impart the knowledge of (a subject, doctrine, method of
action, etc.); to give instruction in, to teach.    a. To inform a person a
thing. Obs.

  1390 GOWER Conf. I. 132, I woll sue What thing, that ye me woll enforme.
c1394 P. Pl. Crede 272 Knowest ou out..a creatour on ere, at coude me my
Crede teche and trewliche enfourme. c1450 Merlin 5 And so he taught and
enformed hem here creaunce and feith. 1529 in Vicary's Anat. (1888) App.
xiv. 252 No persone..shall enfourme or teche eny Foren, other than hys
Apprentyce, eny poynte of his Crafte. 1621 BURTON Anat. Mel. I. i. I. i.
(1651) 3 These chastisements are inflicted upon us..to informe and teach us
wisdome.

    b. To inform a thing. Obs.

  a1340 HAMPOLE Psalter Prol. 3 The sange of psalmes..quemes god, it
enformes perfytnes, it dos away and distroys noy and angire of saule. c1374
CHAUCER Boeth. I. pr. iv. 13 (Addit. MS.) Certis thou enfourmedist [Camb.
MS. conformedest]..is sentence, at is to seyne at commune inges or
comunabletes weren blysful yif [etc.]. 1377 LANGL. P. Pl. B. xv. 548 Al for
to enforme e faith in fele contreyes. 1589 PUTTENHAM Eng. Poesie I. xviii.
(Arb.) 53 These Eglogues came after to containe and enforme morall
discipline. 1605 BACON Adv. Learn. II. vi. §1 The bounds of this knowledge
are, that it sufficeth to convince atheism, but not to inform religion.

    9. To impart the knowledge of (a fact or occurrence); to make known,
report, relate, tell.    a. To inform a person a thing: To let him know a
thing, that something is, etc. Obs.
  Here the personal object may be viewed as a dative: cf. the constr. with
to in b. The thing told may in passive construction be expressed by the
pronoun it introducing a subordinate clause ('it was informed me that..');
this is distinguished from the construction with subordinate clause in 5, in
that the passive form of the latter has the person as subject ('I was
informed that..').

  c1400 MANDEVILLE (1839) viii. 82 He commanded..to enforme me pleynly alle
the Mysteries of Every place. 1470-85 MALORY Arthur VI. vii, For as it is
enformed me thou..hast done grete despyte and shame vnto knyghtes of the
round table. 1523 LD. BERNERS Froiss. I. cclv. 378 The vicount of
Rochechoart was had in suspecte; for it was enfourmed the prince, howe he
wolde turne frenche. 1548 HALL Chron., Hen. VIII 61 It is informed us that
your young and ryotous people will ryse. 1765 COLMAN tr. Terence 170 Did not
you inform him The bent of my affections? 1797 SOUTHEY Lett. (1856) I. 46 My
mother will inform you my town direction as soon as I have one. 1810 Ho.
Lancaster I. 149, I am compelled to inform you the reason of the meeting.

    b. To inform a thing (to a person). Sometimes spec. To make known or
tell as an informer or accuser. Obs.

  a1533 LD. BERNERS Gold. Bk. M. Aurel. (1546) Miij, It shulde be informed
to the senate. 1557 NORTH tr. Gueuara's Diall Pr. 134b, The sonne informed
the quarel to the Phylosopher. a1586 SIDNEY Arcadia v. (1674) 461 Whatsoever
hath been informed, was my fault. 1601 SHAKES. All's Well IV. i. 91 Haply
thou mayst informe Something to saue thy life. a1616 BEAUM. & FL. Bl.
Brother III. i, What affairs inform these out-cries? 1635 LAUD Wks. (1853)
V. 336 My lord the bishop informs that that county is very full of
impropriations. 1655 SIR E. NICHOLAS in N. Papers (Camden) II. 311
Admitting..all to bee true which hee hath informed, can there bee a greater
act of baseness then to betray a confident? 1681 BURNET Hist. Ref. II. 67 It
being informed to the Council, that Gardiner had written to some of that
Board. 1711 Light to Blind in 10th Rep. Hist. MSS. Comm. App. v. 142 A
deserter came from the English army into the town, and informed that there
was eight pieces of battering-cannon..on the roade from Dublin. 1753 POCOCKE
Descr. East I. 119 My servant talk'd..as if he was a spy, and had inform'd
what presents I had made.