TRIZ discussion [long post]

Conall OCathain <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:39:02 +0000

text/plain

Dear list members,

This might be of some interest. For those who have not come across it, TRIZ was
developed in the former Soviet Union, initially from the study of patents. It
grew into a powerful and philosophical method for finding general design
principles and reapplying them in different areas, even to the extent of
technological forecasting. (That is the oversimplification of the year).

There are several posts below: you may want to read them in date order.
They give a flavour of the approach, and a hint of its power.

Conall

Date Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:20:12 +0100
From Valeri Souchkov <[log in to unmask]>
To [log in to unmask]
Reply-To [log in to unmask]
Subject RE: More thoughts on Contradictions and Terminology [triz list]

True, the same physical contradiction can generate many technical ones. But
they do not represent the same problem model, although they might be
causally related.

A contradiction does not exist in a technical system, it is our view of a
particular problem situation only when design products fail or when we
discover that we must change something. A contradiction is not a part of a
technical system model, it is a part of a problem model, and, to be more
exact, it is a very generic problem abstraction. To structure studied
information, Altshuller needed a model to represent and categorize a large
variety problems, and it appeared to be the best to formulate problems in
terms of conflicting demands: an attempt to improve A with the use of some
known method would cause undesired degradation of B... and the same might
cause deterioration of C, D, E.... and so on due to causal and physical
relationships which exist between components of the system. The high level
of generalization was needed otherwise it would be not possible to model all
problems and solution principles in a uniform way.

But this causes confusion. Example: if we want to rise a speed of a car
(feature A), we can do it by raising a power of an engine (known method),
which, in turn, increases fuel consumption (B), volume of cylinders (C),
space occupied by the engine (D), most likely atmospheric contamination (E),
weight of the car (F), and so on. Needless to say, this confuses a problem
solver a lot. Even an experienced one. What to choose? And perhaps,
something important was missed (often the case, by the way)? Anyway, the
word "technical" means that a conflict arises between two technical
parameters. So I personally do not see anything wrong with this word: it
exactly designates the nature of a problem representation in terms of
contradicting technical demands.

A physical contradiction is a more exact form of a problem model... But not
of a technical contradiction! I believe this confuses most people who start
with TRIZ. These two are very different. A physical contradiction means that
there are two opposite demands put on the same physical object or a physical
parameter.  An object must be heavy and lightweight at the same time,
temperature of a flame must be high and low, and so on.

In ARIZ, a physical contradiction is formulated on the basis of a pair of
technical contradictions. But technical contradictions are used to identify
a conflicting pair (instrument - product), operative zone and time, etc.,
and therefore to build several models of the same problem which help us to
localize the problem and its attributes. A physical contradiction is then
defined as two opposite states of the instrument or two opposite states of a
physical parameter which is identified with the instrument. But it does not
follow directly from a technical contradiction.  A physical contradiction is
build on the basis of all components of a problem model. And since it
represents information about physical states of a component involved to the
problem, the "physical contradiction" is again a valid term. Although,
in my opinion, a better translation to English would be "physical conflict"
rather than "contradiction". But it does not change much, actually.

A very simple explanation of relationships between physical and technical
contradictions can be given by using a cause-effect diagram. Suppose, a
problem is that a laser printer jams paper. Why? Because the force with
which the rollers are pressed to each other decreased. Why? Because a spring
which presses the rollers against each other degraded over the time and its
tension dropped. Ok, so we see: a spring must not degrade over reasonable
period of time, or to be rigid (to be always good) and non-rigid (to be able
to contract). And a technical contradiction (one of many that can be
formulated on the same basis): to ensure that the force does not decrease
significantly we can put a stronger spring that might however, lead to jams
of some types of paper. Now, if we look carefully, we do not solve the same
problem. In the first case, we deal with providing a permanent tension of a
spring during the printer lifetime. In the second case, we are solving a
problem of how to provide permanently the needed force. Actually, these are
two totally different problems. But there is more. If we would analyze the
same problem with ARIZ, we would finally solve a problem of contact force
between the paper and the roller, which in this particular case gives the
cheapest and more ideal solutions. The latter physical contradiction has
nothing to do with tension of the spring! But spring is a root physical
object that causes the problem. Solving problem at a spring level would
eliminate all negative effects that might be related to the drop of the
spring's tension.

Basically, as follows from my experience, an object in a casual diagram
which causes negative effect (and also some positive effect, otherwise why
would we have it?) can be regarded a carrier of a physical contradiction,
and an attempt to treat the negative effect generates a multitude of
technical contradictions. Their number would depend on a number of known
ways to eliminate the negative effects and a number of technical parameters
that would degrade if some known method is used. A more refined way to
define a technical contradiction on the basis of the causal diagram is to
identify what object causes the negative effect, then define what positive
effect it provides, and these two effects form a pair of technical
parameters that contradict each other (pressure of rollers vs force, for
instance). Both physical and technical contradictions can be defined along
the whole chain of effects in the causal diagram, and choice at what level
of the effects chain to solve a problem can be very valuable to identify at
what level the problem can be solved. This is not a "classical" way
to define technical contradictions, but appears to be very fruitful since it is
most closely related to system components; and helps to accurately and
quickly explain TRIZ concepts during TRIZ training.

Formulating and solving a physical contradiction is always more preferable.
Because in this way we a) cure the roots of the problem and not the
consequences, b) target ourselves to achieve most ideal solutions within the
problem scope given; c) deal with exact information about a system and not
with ill-defined huge problem definition space, and so on... What is most
difficult, is to localize and identify the right physical contradiction for
the particular situation (to ensure a needed contact between paper and the
roller appears to be easier than to create an ultimate spring). Luckily,
ARIZ and other complementary methods work quite well. The same applies to
non-technical TRIZ applications.

So it was not surprising that Altshuller abandoned evolution of the matrix
so long ago. As a learning or "quick scan" tool, the matrix can be good
since it helps to understand a philosophy of TRIZ and how TRIZ was created.
But as a serious problem solving tool it is weak. Dealing with a fuzzy and
too generic problem model leads to confusion. On top of that, most of large
companies in Europe which I assisted for over a decade already came up with
ideas proposed in the matrix themselves (without any matrix) - and those
were discarded. More deep analysis with ARIZ was required in about 80% of
cases to reveal and solve a core physical contradiction.

This represents my personal view and experience only.

Best wishes to everyone,
Valeri Souchkov.