Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: An All-Day Burn's Night Invite

Bob Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

The Pennine Poetry Works <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:27:03 +0000

text/plain

Hi James,
Yeh, the word is that there's a piper at hand to walk in with the small
(can't say "canny" here can I?) beastie.
I've sometimes used the occasion to introduce English poetry readers/writers
to the history of Scots literature. I always drink a toast to him (in public
or private) and it's hopefully in a good malt!
It'll be interesting to see how Burns is recieved on Teeside aswell. On
Tyneside (despite a great awareness of the Border Troubles) Burns was
admired, respected, as a poet more than an excuse for a bit of patriotic
sell-yeh-shortbread-ness.
And I guess those doing the advertising needed an angle for advertising (and
the other thing the bookfair and readings are linked with - "Middlesbrough's
150th Anniversary" - isn't quite enough to set even the Tees on fire!
Bob

Express yourself with cool emoticons http://messenger.msn.co.uk